SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-2021 Season

SWSiouxMN

On 4/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

not sure..i talked to dae and he said he got his waiver but gave no hint moody was transferring.

There is a difference in getting a waiver to not have to sit out a year as a transfer and getting a medical redshirt. If he got the transfer waiver he can play. If he wants to get a medical redshirt to play an additional year that would come after his 5th season (this year and next year).

4 hours ago, MIBT said:

There is a difference in getting a waiver to not have to sit out a year as a transfer and getting a medical redshirt. If he got the transfer waiver he can play. If he wants to get a medical redshirt to play an additional year that would come after his 5th season (this year and next year).

The part about the transfer waiver is true right now, but might not be true in a few days. It's been widely expected that DI is about to change the transfer rules to allow a one-time exemption in all sports, including men's basketball. It was supposed to be voted on this week during the big April meetings, but COVID issues may push that back to the June meeting. Some agenda items have already been pushed back(St Thomas and the DIII to DI process), but I haven't heard about this issue.

Also want to reinforce part of what you're saying and correct another part because people often get them confused. A medical redshirt waiver is not the same as a five year clock extension waiver. Because Moody was injured early in the season, but after he competed, he needed to apply for a waiver so that this last season doesn't count against his four years of competition. That waiver is applied for right away and it sounds like he received it. The five year clock extention waiver is applied for only after five years. For that waiver, the student-athlete needs to show that they lost TWO seasons due to circumstances beyond their control. On paper, Moody does not qualify for that right now(he's only lost one season for reasons beyond his control). But if he were to be injured again, the waiver he just received could be used to apply for the other waiver.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:53 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Now with that figured out, lets turn back our attention to UND's present players.

Given who we have coming back, who do you think will take their games to another level next year and who do you think needs to make that next level jump?

Of the returning players? I'm hoping it's DAE. He obviously had a very good freshman year scoring the ball but I know a lot of people were very disappointed with him at times. Offseason worked on dribbling the ball would do wonders and improve on his outside shot, he always looked off balance or like he wasn't going to get it there.

This whole quarantine thing has got me posting all over this board just hoping for conversation, sorry!

16 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Of the returning players? I'm hoping it's DAE. He obviously had a very good freshman year scoring the ball but I know a lot of people were very disappointed with him at times. Offseason worked on dribbling the ball would do wonders and improve on his outside shot, he always looked off balance or like he wasn't going to get it there.

This whole quarantine thing has got me posting all over this board just hoping for conversation, sorry!

would be interesting is dae can play the 2 next year...dribbling will have to get better but i have faith that he's quick enough to guard other 2's and on the flip side i think with his size and strength he can "punish" his opponents down low sometimes and get easy two's in the paint.

• Upvote 1

Man am I excited about UND mens Basketball.

Sather cleans house in one year.  The talent he brought in gives 9 deep.  We are only lacking a big.  Is their anybody other than Sather at the beginning of last season would think UND would be playing for the conference championship at the tournament.

I thought Moody would stay even recognizing his shooting form was bad.   defensive, enough said.

This convinces me Sather is all about the defense.  Remember last season he complimented defensive play first.  Scoring was second.  Refreshing and signaled to me he is a champion.

I have said before he is the best coach we had since Fitch.  I never watched a Fitch UND game. Played against a Rodger's game JV.  Watched a bunch of Gunther and Glass games.  Loved both coaches.  Sather is way ahead of the game.  UND will be lucky to keep him 4 years.  UND is blessed.

How he revamped this team from previous coach is amazing.  Chavis hit a home run.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Man am I excited about UND mens Basketball.

Sather cleans house in one year.  The talent he brought in gives 9 deep.  We are only lacking a big.  Is their anybody other than Sather at the beginning of last season would think UND would be playing for the conference championship at the tournament.

I thought Moody would stay even recognizing his shooting form was bad.   defensive, enough said.

This convinces me Sather is all about the defense.  Remember last season he complimented defensive play first.  Scoring was second.  Refreshing and signaled to me he is a champion.

I have said before he is the best coach we had since Fitch.  I never watched a Fitch UND game. Played against a Rodger's game JV.  Watched a bunch of Gunther and Glass games.  Loved both coaches.  Sather is way ahead of the game.  UND will be lucky to keep him 4 years.  UND is blessed.

How he revamped this team from previous coach is amazing.  Chavis hit a home run.

Hoping when they recruited him they discussed our history of long tenure in our coaching ranks. 

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Hoping when they recruited him they discussed our history of long tenure in our coaching ranks. 

Doesn’t mean anything if he isn’t rewarded. If he does really well, probably moves up and out of our pay range. In the meantime, reward him with a handsome 5 year extension that requires big payback by big school that would hire him away. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I'm sure they did.  But Fitch or Rodgers were not here very long.  Both went onto the NBA.   I'm just so happy with Sather and his results.

• Upvote 1