SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

Two professors of medicine at Stanford in the WSJ yesterday wrote:

This does not make Covid-19 a nonissue. The daily reports from Italy and across the U.S. show real struggles and overwhelmed health systems. But a 20,000- or 40,000-death epidemic is a far less severe problem than one that kills two million. Given the enormous consequences of decisions around Covid-19 response, getting clear data to guide decisions now is critical. We don’t know the true infection rate in the U.S. 

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?

Are the non alarmists finally starting to speak out?

When will a governor finally start to speak out?

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth.

As my moniker shows I an an 'old fella'/over the age of 70.

I work 40 hours a week/have no under lying medical issues.

Have several grandchildren between the age of 20-39.

Should we relax our current preventative virus measures to probably help the economy?

Most grandparents would make sacrifices to insure there grandchildren are safe.

Here-in lies the problem.

The latest numbers I have seen posted by the North Dakota Health Department have a breakdown of the ages of those testing positive for the virus.

The numbers show, that in North Dakota, there are a significant more testing positive for the virus between the ages of 20-39 than there are between the ages of 60-79.

Relaxing the preventative measures would only increase the number of ages 20-39 testing positive for the virus.

Most grandparents would not take that risk.

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Cellphone GPS location data from Unacast

Screenshot_20200326-065135.png

Interesting 

This tells me what I was afraid of. Most people in North Dakota aren’t taking this seriously. Most have the attitude that it can’t happen here. The government is urging people to stay home but there is no rule in place so non essential businesses are staying open to try stay afloat and people aren’t taking this seriously so are going on about their business.

Doug Burgum said yesterday we are right on par with Minnesota’s rate of infection/hospitalizations on a per capita basis. Minnesota is expecting to not have enough ICU beds and not enough vents. There is a nationwide shortage on a number of medications and medical supplies. The storm is coming here and we need to get prepared. Make the call Burgum.

20 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Where’d you see this?

This tells me what I was afraid of. Most people in North Dakota aren’t taking this seriously. Most have the attitude that it can’t happen here. The government is urging people to stay home but there is no rule in place so non essential businesses are staying open to try stay afloat and people aren’t taking this seriously so are going on about their business.

Doug Burgum said yesterday we are right on par with Minnesota’s rate of infection/hospitalizations on a per capita basis. Minnesota is expecting to not have enough ICU beds and not enough vents. There is a nationwide shortage on a number of medications and medical supplies. The storm is coming here and we need to get prepared. Make the call Burgum.

What are you looking for Burgum to do? Not much is open as it is. He's parroting a line of "facts not fear". 45/0 are the current numbers in ND. The rural counties in ND bringing the overall ranking down have a higher population of cows than people. My friend who ranches along the Little Missouri River in Slope County has a 3 mile drive......just to get his mail

Thought I'd throw this in as well. Interesting NY doesn't get an "A" grade.

Screenshot_20200326-071509.png

The bottom 5 states grade wise are also in the bottom 10 of states in overall cases.

Why is the media not asking the obvious questions?  According to the Minnesota governor, 100,000 people in that state are expected to require intensive care because of the virus.  Right now there are 235 intensive care beds in the state.  Assuming the weekly average will be half the peak, that means in order for supply to meet peak demand, the event would last 100,000/235 x 2 = 850 weeks.  Clearly other solutions, such as a vaccine, should be viable long before then.  So then, what is the strategy?  How many intensive care beds will be added to cope with this crisis?  Again, let's do the math:  a crisis of 24 weeks duration would require 100,000/24 x 2 = 8,333 intensive care beds (an increase of 8,098 beds or over 3,300%).  A crisis of 12 weeks duration crisis would require 16,667 intensive care beds, and a 4 week crisis would require 50,000 of them.  At what number of intensive care beds is the capacity of available  professional medical personnel exceeded?  What happens if the spread happens more slowly than our new capacity to deal with it?  Do we further loosen social distancing restrictions in order to shorten the duration?  What happens if that becomes too effective (overwhelms care capacity)?  Again what is the strategy?  Is it to "flatten the curve" until a vaccine is available and distributed (likely to be until at least the end of the calendar year)?  Or is it to add as many intensive care beds as possible, then let 'er rip - with the idea than we've done all we could to prepare, and now we'll have to do the best we can?  I'm assuming these relative numbers are expected to be similar nationally.  It would be nice to get someone in the media to ask what should be obvious questions, instead of continuously actively trying to get their favorites into office.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

What are you looking for Burgum to do? Not much is open as it is. He's parroting line is "facts not fear". 45/0 are the numbers in ND. The rural counties in ND bringing the overall ranking have a higher population of cows than people. My friend who ranches along the Little Missouri in Slope County has a 3 mile drive......to get his mail

Thought I throw this in as well.

Screenshot_20200326-071509.png

You know as well as I that the parroting line is a joke. It would’ve made more sense if we could test people and use some actual facts in the decision making process. 

We we don’t have resources that Minnesota has in the U of M. But we do know we are on the same path as them. So we should at least be parroting their shelter in place orders. 

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Believe tomorrow 830 am ET is when the number is released.

Screenshot_20200325-215520.png

The number is 3.28M jobless claims in a single week.

Last week claims were at 281K.

At the end of this February nation wide this country had 5.8M citizens that were unemployed.

Previous one week record was 695K claims in October 1982.

Let those numbers soak in.

Anyone who thinks "The Media" is the enemy of the people...well I do not have enough words to describe how damaging that is to our free society.  

I suggest this thread be shut down and we go back to no politics or this site will become another casualty of the Coronavirus

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Anyone who thinks "The Media" is the enemy of the people...well I do not have enough words to describe how damaging that is to our free society.  

I suggest this thread be shut down and we go back to no politics or this site will become another casualty of the Coronavirus

I certainly don’t propose shutting the media down, but I think we have an abundance of irresponsible, entertainment/audience focused media.  It’s hard to get straight facts these days. It feels more Joseph Goebels than Walter Cronkite.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I certainly don’t propose shutting the media down, but I think we have an abundance of irresponsible, entertainment/audience focused media.  It’s hard to get straight facts these days. It feels more Joseph Goebels than Walter Cronkite.   

Exactly. Everyone is a journalist these days.  Idiots follow whoever they want to believe, no matter their credentials.  

Then you got the big boys all telling 95% truths and distorting the other 5% for their party. Just way too easy to disseminate information these days.

41 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Tomorrow this thread is 3 weeks old, will it make 100 pages of posts?

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah movement isn't a real accurate measure for rural areas.  They should see whether they ever came within 500 feet of another cell phone while they were checking their cattle.

Or when your closest gas station or grocery store is 20-30 miles away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Basically most of the counties with poor grades are counties where they have already been social distanced for years.

I wonder how many of those phones in Steele county were traveling 4 mph all day long in a corn field.  Or made several exact same trips to a bin or elevator while coming in contact with maybe 3 people all day. 

• Upvote 1

Stop by SS from time to time to catch up on recruiting news, coaching hires, Hunter Pinke updates, etc. And then there's this. ...

Just wondering if anyone has claimed the tin-foil hat concession here at sioux sports. Looking like a potential gold mine.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Exactly. Everyone is a journalist these days.  Idiots follow whoever they want to believe, no matter their credentials.  

Then you got the big boys all telling 95% truths and distorting the other 5% for their party. Just way too easy to disseminate information these days.

That is a little generous.

• Like 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic