SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

You could very well be right, Latinos are no more monolithic than any other demographic I suppose. I’m just speaking for the ones I’ve spoken to personally.

In a general sense yea.  But you'll also find that Cubans tend to vote quite differently than Mexicans, etc.    

16 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I’m not sure. I used to do some immigration work and the issue of immigration is huge.   I mean if voting is any indication, Clinton and Obama garnered the highest % of Latino vote in recent elections.    

My wife is Latina so I'm parroting what she and her relatives say about their community. They are also a prominent family that had no problem becoming US citizens so they might be out of touch with the plight of the undocumented.

My point to the OP was that the civil unrest isn't making Latinos vote Trump, it's their irrational adherence to Catholicism.

1 hour ago, Hayduke1 said:

Look in the mirror cult members.  Are you a decent person? 

Screenshot_20200828-171834_News Break.jpg

If she thinks that's bad, she should see what Dems said about her old man when he was running for President lol

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

My wife is Latina so I'm parroting what she and her relatives say about their community. They are also a prominent family that had no problem becoming US citizens so they might be out of touch with the plight of the undocumented.

My point to the OP was that the civil unrest isn't making Latinos vote Trump, it's their irrational adherence to Catholicism.

Well there you go. Your wife is likely upper/middle class.

There exists an enormous class divide in these cultures. I mean most of these countries don’t even have a middle class for all intents and purposes.  Case in point: in Mexico if you’re asked to self-identify as being poor, you’d answer ‘soy pobre’ which is the permanent form (verb) of being poor.   For the masses, immigration is a significant issue considering it can be the means of economic survival vs total poverty.   To a lesser extent not being **** on is an issue; but getting crapped on happens to every new immigrant group everywhere.   But yea, everyone finds common ground on the Catholicism aspect.

2 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

I agree.  This batch of fanatics know that their voice is actually the minority as of now. 

That is a fact.  Maybe not in their neck of the northern plains, but in our country.

Their views are in the minority also.

The majority of US Citizens favor some form of universal health care, abortion rights, gun restrictions, legalization of recreational marijuana, increased taxes on the upper class, increased spending to reduce or make free public post secondary education, higher teacher pay... I could go on. 

Even if Trump wins, it won't be by popular vote. 

Their gig is up.  You can't govern from the minority position for long in a democracy.  Otherwise, it won't be a democracy anymore. 

You absolutely can govern from a minority position provided you win the Presidency lol

4 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

If George Floyd was the last straw, what is Kenosha?  

Scratch 2 tango...     

.....   a good lesson, and a good start.

It's well past time to officially declare these things as the terrorists they are, and acknowledge they are waging systematic and organized war on the United States of America.

Declare the state of war they "think" they want, then dispatch and dispose of them with utmost shock awe, and might of our great country.

Game. over.

This would all be over before halloween.

Screenshot_20200828-090804~2.png

44 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Scratch 2 tango...     

.....   a good lesson, and a good start.

It's well past time to officially declare these things as the terrorists they are, and acknowledge they are waging systematic and organized war on the United States of America.

Declare the state of war they "think" they want, then dispatch and dispose of them with utmost shock awe, and might of our great country.

Game. over.

This would all be over before halloween.

Screenshot_20200828-090804~2.png

Eghz7HwVkAAEtzf.jpeg

6 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

Trump has done everything he can to push away minority votes.  If they come out in large numbers, he will lose. If he can suppress their vote, he might win.

He certainly won't attract their votes. 

He's self-sabotaging.   It's no secret Trump won in 2016 because of low Dem turn-out (urban and minority voters).  Despite low Dem turnout, and despite Hillary being the most incompetent candidate in the history of humanity, Trump still lost the popular vote.  Trump even reportedly semi-admitted to the low turn-out. 

‘It was great’: In leaked audio, Trump hailed low Black turnout in 2016"

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/21/trump-black-voters-turnout-2016-398520

If the Dems show up to vote like they did for Obama, Trump will have a rough going of it.  

Total votes for Barack Obama in 2012 vs. Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Total votes for Mitt Romney in 2012 vs. Donald Trump in 2016.

3 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Well there you go. You’re wife is likely upper/middle class.

There exists a ridiculous class divide in these cultures. I mean most of these countries don’t even have a middle class for all intents and purposes.  Case in point: in Mexico if you’re asked to self-identify as being poor, you’d answer ‘soy pobre’ which is the permanent form (verb) of being poor.   For the masses, immigration is a significant issue considering it can be the means of economic survival vs total poverty.   To a lesser extent not being **** on is an issue; but getting crapped on happens to every new immigrant group everywhere.   But yea, everyone finds common ground on the Catholicism aspect.

Good points. 

I always laugh inside when describing somebody that is dead in Spanish, "esta muerto", which is not permanent if you think of that as a difference between estar and ser. 

11 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Can both sides agree on this?  Most of the reason for bad cops rarely being fired is the police union.   

The issue of bad cops transcends the unions.  The unions just make it easier to carry out 'the code of silence' that frequently permeates within police culture.  Let's not play stupid here.   It's a very hierarchical, top-down, structure.  If the top layers of the pyramid are rotten, everything below will be affected.  This is why, despite unions, we have some fantastic police departments (like where I'm lucky to live) yet some other corrupt POS departments (see link below).    Police departments should not have the luxury of policing themselves and should be subject to constant oversight.  At the end of the day, police are only human.

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws.  BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression.  The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-announces-findings-investigation-baltimore-police-department

4 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

The issue of bad cops transcends the unions.  The unions just make it easier to carry out 'the code of silence' that frequently permeates within police culture.  Let's not play stupid here.   It's a very hierarchical, top-down, structure.  If the top layers of the pyramid are rotten, everything below will be affected.  This is why, despite unions, we have some fantastic police departments (like where I'm lucky to live) yet some other corrupt POS departments (see link below).    Police departments should not have the luxury of policing themselves and should be subject to constant oversight.  At the end of the day, police are only human.

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws.  BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression.  The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-announces-findings-investigation-baltimore-police-department

News flash- unions protect bad employees.  Whether it’s cops, teachers, factory workers or the guys setting up trade shows in LasVegas the unions job is to protect you.  All those professions have bad employees. 

• Upvote 1

A recent study put out by the Common Sense Association shows that complying with police orders, not resisting a citation or an arrest and not physically assaulting a police office gives you a 99.99% chance of not being injured, shot, or killed.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully as an "expert" and "scientist" on her visit to Fargo today Birx will see that only 3.5% of the hospital beds in ND are currently being occupied by Covid patients and that refrigerated trucks aren't need to store the dead bodies.

14 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

In theory, school choice works, but some shady charter schools opened without any oversight and ruined it for everyone. Even some that philosophically match what I want in my kids' education won't get a glance from us since the teachers lack accreditation.

I'd be all for school choice subsidizing my kids going to one of the top private schools in the country (it's in our neighborhood and we are already planning on sending them there), but I'm not holding out for it.

That’s the thing about school choice. If the school doesn’t perform and the teachers suck I can choose to send them to another school. If you want people to attend your school you better make sure it performs!

14 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

Trump has done everything he can to push away minority votes.  If they come out in large numbers, he will lose. If he can suppress their vote, he might win.

He certainly won't attract their votes. 

Actually polling is up for Trump among minorities. I even saw a poll where the black vote was over 20%, Remember Romney only got 6%

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Things won’t fully change until the this country's demographics shift.  Change and equality will henceforth come from voting.  This will occur in 20 years.  

In many ways ‘Trumpism’ is the last stand against this inevitable occurrence.  Is it any surprise Trump’s demographic is older, un-diversified and monolithic?   Of course not.  

Once Trump is gone, you’ll see the Republican party modify and tailor itself to fit in with these inevitable demographic changes.

The Republicans have changed because Trump Of Trump. Would there have been criminal justice reform or opportunity zones under the old Republican Party. Trump knows he needs more diverse votes and he just might get them in Nov.

13 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

I agree.  This batch of fanatics know that their voice is actually the minority as of now. 

That is a fact.  Maybe not in their neck of the northern plains, but in our country.

Their views are in the minority also.

The majority of US Citizens favor some form of universal health care, abortion rights, gun restrictions, legalization of recreational marijuana, increased taxes on the upper class, increased spending to reduce or make free public post secondary education, higher teacher pay... I could go on. 

Even if Trump wins, it won't be by popular vote. 

Their gig is up.  You can't govern from the minority position for long in a democracy.  Otherwise, it won't be a democracy anymore. 

We are not a democracy. We are a Republic! Big difference!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

In theory, school choice works, but some shady charter schools opened without any oversight and ruined it for everyone. Even some that philosophically match what I want in my kids' education won't get a glance from us since the teachers lack accreditation.

I'd be all for school choice subsidizing my kids going to one of the top private schools in the country (it's in our neighborhood and we are already planning on sending them there), but I'm not holding out for it.

I went to a major private school in the twin cities and had at least one teacher who wasn't accredited.  He was also one of the best teachers I ever had.