SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Solid point, lets stop wasting time and money on cancer, aids ebola, etc.

Clearly I am being facetious, but again, it does not all have to be so black and white. I'm willing to put my trust in medical and economic experts over the public opinion. Doesn't make it fun or convenient, but would you feel different if this affected a different grouping of people? Babies, Children, Young Adults?

My point is there is no perfect answer to how to handle this. Do nothing? Do Everything? Somewhere in between?

I'm not expert, I'm just saying some people need to temper their anger over sporting events, when there are bigger things at stake.

I agree not black and white...the reaction right now IS extreme.  I’m disappointed about the NCAAs, but I am more concerned about the financial markets and societal breakdown that we seem to be on the precipice of.

12 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

NCAA shuts it down.  No tournament.

Pretty sure that I haven't been this depressed about Hockey since the whole .6 second thing.  Good thing there is no bourbon at my desk.

• Like 2

As a fan, its tough to describe the level of disappointment. The last two season of UND hockey were tough to watch, so to witness a season like this, was pretty special.

If there is a silver lining at all, hopefully it makes any early flight risks consider coming back to get the chance they missed out on. Sadly, this is 3 years in a row without watching UND play in an NCAA tourney game. Our current Jr. class will likely, and hopefully, only play in one NCAA tourney in their career; let that one sink in for second.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

As a fan, its tough to describe the level of disappointment. The last two season of UND hockey were tough to watch, so to witness a season like this, was pretty special.

The season that these boys just had was special indeed.  Seasons like this one don't come around often.  Would they have won the national title...who knows, but they were certainly one of the frontrunners.  Really have to feel for the players, especially the seniors.  Great season, team.

• Upvote 3

This team will be a National Champion in my mind.  Would they have won?  Who knows.  They had it all and would have certainly been one to beat in the Frozen Four.  I, too feel bad for the seniors.  They played their hearts out and had a great season.  Way to go guys.

I realize this is the hockey thread but this goes waaaaaayyyyy beyond sports.  Just got a call from my brother, Des Moines Public Schools shutting everything down for 17 days.  Not one confirmed case of coronavirus in Polk County.  That's 17 days of parents getting pulled out of the workforce to take care of their kids.

Other cities will follow.

Productivity is going to grind to a standstill.  I thought Dow 17,000 was a joke, at this point I hope it stops there.  We are heading for a massive recession.

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I realize this is the hockey thread but this goes waaaaaayyyyy beyond sports.  Just got a call from my brother, Des Moines Public Schools shutting everything down for 17 days.  Not one confirmed case of coronavirus in Polk County.  That's 17 days of parents getting pulled out of the workforce to take care of their kids.

Productivity is going to grind to a standstill.  I thought Dow 17,000 was a joke, at this point I hope it stops there.  We are heading for a massive recession.

The train is completely off the rails.......just have to wait for the crash to bring all of this nonsense to a stop.

No "if" there......it's a given.

#rightmove

3 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Yep. HS b-ball tournament will finish tomorrow tho. 

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Perspective you won't hear from the MSM

Worldwide Coronavirus stats:

128,000 cases

4718 deaths

69,000 FULLY RECOVERED (So far)

A 3% death rate is nothing to scoff at though.    

People keep comparing this to the 2009 pandemic, but H1N1,'s fatality rate was  .01-.08%

• Upvote 1

Although it’s very difficult to find positives during this strange, unprecedented time, one positive is the possibility that the NCAA structure may be forced to change based on the uncoordinated leadership and delayed decision-making over the past 48 hours. 

For posters on this site, I can’t imagine there are many delightful thoughts regarding Mark Emmert.

23 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

A 3% death rate is nothing to scoff at though.    

People keep comparing this to the 2009 pandemic, but H1N1,'s fatality rate was  .01-.08%

It's not 3%.

Based on recent literature. Slightly over a 1%...and dropping.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

It's not 3% so STFU

36/1,215 = 2.96%

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

For comparison, in 2009-10 H1N1 swine flu pandemic:

12,469/60,800,000 = 0.02%

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

Sample size from this year will certainly grow and change final mortality rate. 

• Upvote 1