SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Would more people die from car accidents on the way to all of these games, or carona virus contracted at these games?

Good question.   

Also, now that all forms of entertainment have seemingly been cancelled, how many people who would've stayed home watching sports on tv, are now going to go out and about infecting and becoming infected, because they are bored out of their mind?

When they start cancelling schools K-12......the economic workforce is going to go into a tailspin. Healthcare facilities will be greatly affected.

OH closed school for 3 weeks.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

When they start cancelling schools K-12......the economic workforce is going to go into a tailspin. Healthcare facilities will be greatly affected.

Locally, parents are already calling the school, inquiring about switching their kids to home schooling.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

So where do you hit the reset button?  Do you not play any games next fall/winter and just pick up the NCHC tournament first round come next March?  I don't have the answer either, but this season looks like it'll be a nice big * in the scorecard of sports history everywhere.

It's like when dirt track racing features get rained out.  You run them prior to next week's racing.

Play the tourney next October and then start the new year.

It needs to be said again. in 2009, 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus.  12,000 Americans died.  We are no where near to those numbers here in the United States..  Everyone just needs to relax.  Is everyone being maybe a little over precautious?  Maybe.  But we were fine back in 2009 and moved on as a country.  We will get through this as well.

1 hour ago, mikejm said:

I’m sitting in Denver International Airport right now and I’ve never seen this place so underpopulated. There are a lot of people who are NOT flying. 

I wouldn’t be, but I’m on my way to work. 

We have a trip to Denver planned in July.  Paid $250 for 2 tickets a couple weeks ago.

I checked back last night and found round trip from MSP to Denver for $38

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It needs to be said again. in 2009, 59 million Americans contracted the H1N1 virus.  12,000 Americans died.  We are no where near to those numbers here in the United States..  Everyone just needs to relax.  Is everyone being maybe a little over precautious?  Maybe.  But we were fine back in 2009 and moved on as a country.  We will get through this as well.

I was not a math major during my tenure at UND, but the above numbers indicate a 2009 H1N1 mortality rate of 0.00203%.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just transferred $5k more into my brokerage account.  Cash ready to buy.  This is going to happen and the market is going to drop another 20% as panic on Main Street starts to settle in.  I'm buying at that point.

"Potter isn't selling. Potter's buying! And why? Because we're panicky and he's not."

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Just transferred $5k more into my brokerage account.  Cash ready to buy.  This is going to happen and the market is going to drop another 20% as panic on Main Street starts to settle in.  I'm buying at that point.

"Potter isn't selling. Potter's buying! And why? Because we're panicky and he's not."

I have enough ammo, food and TP stocked up so my remaining funds I have will be dumped into the stock market. The question is when to buy. I thought we would have already seen the bottom but the country is still going full stupid.

18 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Just think of all the people who are going to suffer because of losing their jobs because of all these cancellations. How are people going to feed their kids or themselves? This overreaction will kill more people than the actual virus. We need to live our lives as usual with extra precautions. I blame the MSM for stoking this just to try and take down the president. Just think of all the medical experts they are not putting on the news. What a waste of breath......

If schools close child neglect will rise as kids will be left to fend for themselves while parents try to work or find work. 

Child abuse will rise due to parents staying at home with their kids but having a sense of helplessness and frustration and then desperation set it.

30 minutes ago, franchise said:

It's like when dirt track racing features get rained out.  You run them prior to next week's racing.

Play the tourney next October and then start the new year.

Why wait until then? NHL is suspended so nobody is leaving to go pro. Wait until the end of April to start the regionals and everything can be completed this school year.

The original decision by the NCAA yesterday afternoon (no fans, only family, essential personnel), was clearly well thought out. What's frustrating is starting with the Jazz / Thunder game and everything that has happened since not NBA related has felt very knee jerk. 

55 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

It is callous, but everybody dies.  The world is here for the living.  You lose a regiment to win a war.  What is the greater good?  Protect everyone who might get sick (who might get sick anyway btw) or continue living the great American experiment?  

We can’t live in fear of biology.

Solid point, lets stop wasting time and money on cancer, aids ebola, etc.

Clearly I am being facetious, but again, it does not all have to be so black and white. I'm willing to put my trust in medical and economic experts over the public opinion. Doesn't make it fun or convenient, but would you feel different if this affected a different grouping of people? Babies, Children, Young Adults?

My point is there is no perfect answer to how to handle this. Do nothing? Do Everything? Somewhere in between?

I'm not expert, I'm just saying some people need to temper their anger over sporting events, when there are bigger things at stake.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Well at least no ICU nurses or docs have kids...oh wait

What about those patients that need ongoing chronic management? Departments like pulmonology, nephrology, endocrinology, ophthalmology, cardiology, orthopedics.........they will all lose staff as well.

2 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

NCAA shuts it down.  No tournament.

NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

Spring too?  Good grief are some drunk on the Kool-Aid.

So are all HS athletes going to get robbed of the rest of their seasons as well this school year?

This is f-n insane.

When do any of us get our lives back? Seriously.

• Upvote 4