SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's pretty widely accepted that the denominator isn't currently valid.

The “denominator” (that is, the number of cases) is pending “investigated” cases. “Widely accepted” is not the appropriate term. Read the CDC data and follow the decision-making of those trained in epidemiology and infectious diseases. Stay turned. Don’t be closed minded - that is beyond foolish. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The “denominator” (that is, the number of cases) is pending “investigated” cases. “Widely accepted” is not the appropriate term. Read the CDC data and follow the decision-making of those trained in epidemiology and infectious diseases. Stay turned. Don’t be closed minded - that is beyond foolish. 

My girlfriend is an epidemiologist.  That denominator doesn't represent the true number of cases due to a lack of testing.  I'm not saying the issue isn't serious.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

You’re assuming that the reported cases is equal to the number of true cases though. The number of true cases is much higher. 

I am not assuming anything. I am stating epidemiological facts. Read data from appropriate sources with established expertise before forming an opinion and your own narrative. The medium.com and Tomas Pueyo is questionable information, but worthwhile if read in the correct context.  

This virus is serious and I'm not saying it shouldn't be taken seriously.  But if we just overreacted and tanked the world economy over something that turns out to be not that bad in retrospect what happens the next time there is a serious, serious pandemic.  It's the Boy Who Cried Wolf story.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

My girlfriend is an epidemiologist.  That denominator doesn't represent the true number of cases due to a lack of testing.  I'm not saying the issue isn't serious.

And you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night also? It’s all good. Just stay tuned and be open minded, thats all. 

Not to minimize our disappointment in not being able to participate in the national tournament but there are other programs and fan bases equally as disappointed as well. I know of a program about 60 miles north of Colorado Springs where fans are very disappointed given the regional they would’ve been placed in and the potential they had for another FF run. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I am not assuming anything. I am stating epidemiological facts. Read data from appropriate sources with established expertise before forming an opinion and your own narrative. The medium.com and Tomas Pueyo is questionable information, but worthwhile if read in the correct context.  

It’s not an opinion, it’s fact. 

There are people that haven’t gotten tested or won’t get tested but still have it. The true number of cases will always exceed the reported cases. 

• Upvote 3

What the fu$k is going on. This is a ridiculous overreaction. More people contact and die over the flu in 1day, than in 6 months of the Corona virus. 

Instead of a postponement, the NCAA just caves and gives into a media frenzy hysteria. Just unbelievable. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night also? You’re funny man. 

Just stay at home and draw up plays for Danny.......

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night also? It’s all good. Just stay tuned and be open minded, thats all. 

Are you calling me a liar?  And which post of mine wasn't open-minded?

39 minutes ago, brianvf said:

It’s not an opinion, it’s fact. 

There are people that haven’t gotten tested or won’t get tested but still have it. The true number of cases will always exceed the reported cases. 

Actually, what you’re stating is a theory/projection, albeit the most logical one. Of course I agree the true prevalence of the infections is greater than the reported. BUT, that’s not what I “assumed” or posted initially. 

In your initial response, you said I was assuming when actually all I did was simply use current figures from the CDC with basic math. The projections are just that, projections. We don’t know the actual prevalence. Just be open-minded and don’t assume you fully understand a novel virus. This will pass, like other prior pandemics. The goal is to minimize morbidity and mortality. We’ll be okay if there’s no spring sports for a season. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Actually, what you’re stating is a theory, albeit a good one. I agree with it.

As for your initial response, you said I was assuming when actually all I did was simply used current figures from the CDC with basic math. You can argue the projections all you want, just be open-minded and don’t assume you fully understand a novel virus. This will pass, like other prior pandemics. The goal is to minimize morbidity and mortality. 

Projections?

Goodness........

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just stay at home and draw up plays for Danny.......

Nice deflection, I guess? You know best, though. Your family must be so proud. I trust you’ll be safe and find something [slightly] productive to do without hockey to watch. 

Memo to NCAA.  Postpone tournaments (Men's and wowen's Bball and hockey, and others) for 30 days.  Then conduct 4 team tournaments with top 4 seeds (like FBS football) to produce a champion.  I ran this by Tim Hennessy at the grocery store just now.  He said they cancelled the whole thing and doesn't think anything or idea will change their decision.

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

I believe you, I just personally don’t believe in the transitive property of epidemiology. Have a good one. Take care. 

You said to follow/talk to epidemiologists.  I hear plenty.  Thanks and good luck with the toilet paper.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

You said to follow/talk to epidemiologists.  I hear plenty.  Thanks and good luck with the toilet paper.

And same to you with the corn cobs. Hope one doesn’t get stuck, although, there might already be something stuck ...

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Nice deflection, I guess? You know best, though. Your family must be so proud. I trust you’ll be safe and find something [slightly] productive to do without hockey to watch. 

They are.......I head out in the mornings to give even jackwagons like you the care they deserve.

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Given the current level of hysteria, how much do you think I could get for 100 doses of this on eBay?

:)F45D3998-AAEA-4D49-938D-5A4A92FEED33.thumb.jpeg.70b4ff4d97db42eeb24bb8cd4c131138.jpeg

Plenty of $$ I’m sure! @Oxbow6 is already proudly treating “jackwagons” with bovine vaccines. He’s quite the pioneer. Maybe give him a call? 

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So where do you hit the reset button?  Do you not play any games next fall/winter and just pick up the NCHC tournament first round come next March?  I don't have the answer either, but this season looks like it'll be a nice big * in the scorecard of sports history everywhere.

All I said is that current NCAA student-athletes get an extra year of eligibility because of all this. Nothing more, nothing less.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic