Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jk

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

Recommended Posts

The shutting down of American Institutions like the NCAA tournaments and the NBA send the completely wrong message.  It invokes greater fear.  
 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yzerman19 said:

The shutting down of American Institutions like the NCAA tournaments and the NBA send the completely wrong message.  It invokes greater fear.  
 

From a practical standpoint, though, what is the NBA supposed to do once multiple players on a team test positive?  They need to quarantine.  Does that team just have to forfeit its games? What about all the players, media members, staffers, fans, etc those players have come into contact with?  At some point their hands are tied.

I guess i'm glad we have so many experts in our corner of the internet here.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I would rather be prepared for something that doesn't happen than not be prepared for something that does.

If nothing happens, I won't have to get groceries for a long time (not a bad thing).

If something does happen, I will be prepared.

And it's not like non-perishables like bath tissue are going to spoil.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Never a bad idea to be prepared.  My grandfathers taught me to live off the land if need be.  Fishing tackle, shotgun, rifle, ammo, water purification, sleeping bags, batteries, Matches, some basic medicines- you can live a very long time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

From a practical standpoint, though, what is the NBA supposed to do once multiple players on a team test positive?  They need to quarantine.  Does that team just have to forfeit its games? What about all the players, media members, staffers, fans, etc those players have come into contact with?  At some point their hands are tied.

I guess i'm glad we have so many experts in our corner of the internet here.

Do they shut it down if a player gets influenza or measles?   They certainly don’t from STIs....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Do they shut it down if a player gets influenza or measles?   They certainly don’t from STIs....

The guideline from the health organizations currently is to quarantine.  I guess they could choose to ignore that.  I don't think that's the smart move but i'm not an expert either.  I'm choosing to listen to the experts, but you can do what you want.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Do they shut it down if a player gets influenza or measles?   They certainly don’t from STIs....

"The corona is 10x more fatal than the flu"......

Since been debunked statistically. Was at 3% mortality 3 weeks ago, then down to 1% (hence your 10x worse), now down to roughly at 0.5%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oxbow6 said:

"The corona is 10x more fatal than the flu"......

Since been debunked statistically. Was at 3% mortality 3 weeks ago, then down to 1% (hence your 10x worse), now down to roughly at 0.5%.

Yes, and all of those stats are foolproof since everyone has been able to get tested as needed.  Keep on keeping on brother.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"The corona is 10x more fatal than the flu"......

Since been debunked statistically. Was at 3% mortality 3 weeks ago, then down to 1% (hence your 10x worse), now down to roughly at 0.5%.

Also saw a headline at least 70% infected in China are fully recovered. That’s promising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Magic Johnson play in the actual games while knowingly (by all) having HIV?  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

The only thing I will say is that these professional sports leagues and the NCAA aren't going to make decisions that cost them millions or 100's of millions of dollars based on media hype or overreaction.  Before they start costing themselves milllions they are going to consult with the highest levels of government and the CDC.  They have access to more information than you or I.

My take is that when these businesses start shutting down operations costing them millions then this crap just got real, it must be real.  It's really happening and it's not just because of "hype" or "overblown" or "hysteria".  

Agree 100%

That being said, if the NCHC Frozen Faceoff is held as scheduled with fans, I will be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

The guideline from the health organizations currently is to quarantine.  I guess they could choose to ignore that.  I don't think that's the smart move but i'm not an expert either.  I'm choosing to listen to the experts, but you can do what you want.

I appreciate your opinion and very much appreciate how you ended your post- such is the way it should be in this great country.

Fear and the reactions of people are the greater danger than the pathogen itself.  With six degrees of separation, it doesn’t take much to quarantine all of society. 

Is this virus such a threat that stopping its spread is more important than living our normal lives?  I haven’t seen facts that indicate that it is.   The simple reality is this virus is here to stay now...it will come every year.  We will eventually vaccinate, but it will mutate- just like flu and other Coronaviruses.  
 

if society shuts down from natural pathogens- we are at midnight on the doomsday clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Agree 100%

That being said, if the NCHC Frozen Faceoff is held as scheduled with fans, I will be there.

I really doubt the NCHC will hold the Frozen Faceoff with fans.  Especially now that basketball conference tournaments are being played with no fans and this weekends games are being played with no fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UND1983 said:

One word comes to mind:  Liability.  

Exactly.  Not only are they considering the financial impact of playing at empty arenas, they also have to consider getting sued by fans claiming they got sick in their arena.  Or players that felt forced to play, and later contracted the virus.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I appreciate your opinion and very much appreciate how you ended your post- such is the way it should be in this great country.

Fear and the reactions of people are the greater danger than the pathogen itself.  With six degrees of separation, it doesn’t take much to quarantine all of society. 

Is this virus such a threat that stopping its spread is more important than living our normal lives?  I haven’t seen facts that indicate that it is.   The simple reality is this virus is here to stay now...it will come every year.  We will eventually vaccinate, but it will mutate- just like flu and other Coronaviruses.  
 

if society shuts down from natural pathogens- we are at midnight on the doomsday clock.

And honestly I agree about trying to avoid a panic. There's so much information flying around right now, who knows what to think?  Thanks for being civil.  Cheers and Go Sioux!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree that it’s risk management.

ensuring financial liquidity and preventing lawsuits would have been a smart move from the federal govt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

One word comes to mind:  Liability.  

I agree with that.  I also agree that they may have been forced into the corner of cancelling due to the possibility of bad publicity of continuing the games.  It would be a PR nightmare if the games played on and the pandemic blew up and out of control and could be linked to people attending sporting events.

Nobody wants to be the league that's legacy is they are willing to kill their fans, or players, just so they can make a buck.  It would be a PR disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Yes, and all of those stats are foolproof since everyone has been able to get tested as needed.  Keep on keeping on brother.

Which indicates it's mortality rate is nowhere what was first predicted but keep fanning the gloom and doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I really doubt the NCHC will hold the Frozen Faceoff with fans.  Especially now that basketball conference tournaments are being played with no fans and this weekends games are being played with no fans.

Until I hear from the NCHC, I am not changing my plans. They better make a decision on that this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Which indicates it's mortality rate is nowhere what was first predicted but keep fanning the gloom and doom.

Again, i'm not trying to fan doom and gloom I just think there's potentially fire to the smoke here.  You may be right and this is all overkill.  I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I appreciate your opinion and very much appreciate how you ended your post- such is the way it should be in this great country.

Fear and the reactions of people are the greater danger than the pathogen itself.  With six degrees of separation, it doesn’t take much to quarantine all of society. 

Is this virus such a threat that stopping its spread is more important than living our normal lives?  I haven’t seen facts that indicate that it is.   The simple reality is this virus is here to stay now...it will come every year.  We will eventually vaccinate, but it will mutate- just like flu and other Coronaviruses.  
 

if society shuts down from natural pathogens- we are at midnight on the doomsday clock.

This is my biggest fear, that this is the new normal.  

I'm not willing to live like this with annual shutdowns and total disruptions of our society.  I'd rather live my life and just deal with whatever happens.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...