SiouxSports.com Forum

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!

Oxbow6

If nothing is called on the ice during live play there should never be a review. A review of a non call on the ice is just an admission that the officiating is incompetent which we all know to be true in most games. Why magnify that fact with the BS that occurred last night?!?!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

The sad thing about this it’s no longer keep your head up or you’re gonna get smoked now it’s keep your head down so when they hit you lay on the ground act really hurt, hold your head and maybe they’ll get a major

Maybe there should be a call like "dangerous play" in soccer, where the player who generates the "danger" is the one getting penalized.  That MIGHT take care of some situations where a player on the receiving end of the hit puts himself in danger (turning into the boards, dropping their head into a hit to the shoulders, etc).

I guess that is just dreaming since you almost never see an "embellishment/diving" call now....

52 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

rule 8.1 paragraph 4. 
Play should have stopped for an injured player when his team had control of the puck since he was in a high danger area. 

also they will say play was stopped for a goal. But it continues to say that the injured player must remain off the ice until the completion of the next faceoff. 

This is a great point.  If the kid is laying in the slot then play should have been stopped. 

I agree with the sentiment of everyone on here about the questionable after-the-fact 5 minute major but what are everyone’s thoughts about the hit itself.

Question: did Caulfield have to hit Poehling a second or two after he had already released the shot? Seems to me that Caulfield had plenty of time to either stop or skate by Poehling without hitting him. 

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I agree with the sentiment of everyone on here about the questionable after-the-fact 5 minute major but what are everyone’s thoughts about the hit itself.

Question: did Caulfield have to hit Poehling a second or two after he had already released the shot? Seems to me that Caulfield had plenty of time to either stop or skate by Poehling without hitting him. 

I just watched the replay of the play.  It appeared to me that Caulfield and Poehling were both eyes on the puck and not each other.  Poehling definitely was in a head lowered position when hit, due to the fact that he had just passed the puck. I can see why no call was made on the ice.  It looked like hockey to me.

5 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

It's a minor for interference.

3 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

...and if someone disagrees with that I wouldn't tell them they are wrong. Calling that a major, after review, is way worse than not calling anything at all.

With the review the refs only options were, NO CALL or FIVE MINUTES!

The embellishment that comes out of the Minnesota schools is grotesque...

The NCHC has an opportunity to LEAD and create change by becoming the anti diving league.... It needs to happen.

The off ice official needs the ability to call down and ... in the spirit of "concussion protocol" either pull these Loser Lazarus' off the ice or issue embellishment majors.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is so much of a coached thing as it is a coach looking off into the distance as a poor sport does something to give the team an advantage.  I would love to see a set time for concussion protocol but it would run into the same issue.  If you make rules or even statements that a hurt player is to continue playing you open a door to liability.   Johnny had to get up and skate your honor or the league would punish him or his team.  That is why he got run over by the zamboni.

Watching Duluth last night, we saw more of the same.  When all of this embellishment is visible on national television, it baffles me how Don Adams isn’t instructing his officials to watch out for the inevitable peeking up through your arms to see if the officials bought it.  That type of thing would make me angry as an official, and once the reputation is there, officials should be on the lookout for those things.  Right now teams are getting rewarded for disrespecting the game.  They should actually be reprimanded for putting actual safety at risk.  You would think if you cry wolf too many times, there would be some consequence.  If it continues to go down this road, other teams will have to follow suit to maintain a competitive balance.  5 minute majors can really level the playing field for a team that has less talent, not only for the power play time, but for tiring out key guys on the penalty kill, and not being able to roll your depth lines.  Imagine what it does for a more talented team like Duluth.  You either have to follow suit or be left in the dust because officials can’t recognize this is going on, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.  As Barney Fife would say, “Nip it in the bud”!

The second referee should be up in the press box with replay with him to speed the process up. 

And connect the press box official wirelessly to the on-ice referee so the press box official can call penalties in real time. 

I’ve said this for five years already. It’s simple, it would open up some ice, and we have the technology. 

http://boardsroom.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-nchc-needs-to-change.html

• Upvote 1