SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

I thought it was a mess but cluster is a better word....

“High profile college sports lawyer TOM Mars told Sports Illustrated last week: Whatever conference(s) decides to play football this fall will be taking a ridiculously high risk they may soon regret. I know and have talked with some of the best plaintiff’s lawyers in the country this week, and they’re praying the ESC, Big 12 and/or ACC are greedy enough to stay the course.  These are lawyers who have already slain bigger dragons than the SEC, and they can afford to finance the most expensive litigation on the planet. As a coalition, they’d be the legal equivalent of the Death Star.”  Morning sports section....yup a BIG CLUSTER.

10 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

“High profile college sports lawyer TOM Mars told Sports Illustrated last week: Whatever conference(s) decides to play football this fall will be taking a ridiculously high risk they may soon regret. I know and have talked with some of the best plaintiff’s lawyers in the country this week, and they’re praying the ESC, Big 12 and/or ACC are greedy enough to stay the course.  These are lawyers who have already slain bigger dragons than the SEC, and they can afford to finance the most expensive litigation on the planet. As a coalition, they’d be the legal equivalent of the Death Star.”  Morning sports section....yup a BIG CLUSTER.

Maybe the SEC, Big 12 and ACC aren't the only greedy ones then, if the lawyers are praying for this to happen!   Typical lawyers!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

This seems like a huge smoke screen.  Young healthy people have nearly ideal COVID outcomes, so where are the damages?  Surely it will have been the players' choice to play or opt out for the season.  And how many 18-22 year olds would enjoy having their personal lives exhaustively probed and cell phone records disclosed, detailing all of the places they had been before they were "tragically stricken" due to the "callous indifference" of the conferences, coaches, and schools?

• Upvote 4

Well they are talking about the new data about the heart... this is not coronary artery disease ( heart attacks and stents) but myocarditis. Myocarditis affects the actual muscle of the heart, causing heart failure like symptoms, many times in young people. When it is bacterial, it can be treated with antibiotics. Viral myocarditis... which is not too common and can happen with any viral infection,  is not easily treated if at all.

Now a days, anyone will sue anybody for any reason....  the transmission would have to be “proved” on the team and the college found negligent, or so I was told, With so many unknowns about the virus, this may be hard to prove. But people would try!!!! But who or what do you believe?

It is just a cluster and may change sports for a long time... I hope not.

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This seems like a huge smoke screen.  Young healthy people have nearly ideal COVID outcomes, so where are the damages?  Surely it will have been the players' choice to play or opt out for the season.  And how many 18-22 year olds would enjoy having their personal lives exhaustively probed and cell phone records disclosed, detailing all of the places they had been before they were "tragically stricken" due to the "callous indifference" of the conferences, coaches, and schools?

Agreed.  They will not be forced to play.  They do not lose eligibility or scholarships by not playing this year, and they risks are not unknown.  I just don't see how they have any standing, but of course litigation would be expensive, and the conferences would undoubtedly end up settling for big money, IMO.  

Given the recent news that all Fall athletes were given an additional year of eligibility. How do we think this is going to work at UND? Will everyone be given the opportunity if they so chose? Will nobody? Will they be selective?

I really do think that depending on how schools play this, some could really benefit some schools more than others. I look at UND, I would say their #1 issue in the Bubba era has been depth at specific positions (only a couple), but every year it's something. It comes down to $ and scholarships, because it would be expensive. This is the time to invest in the program, it's a cheat code for those schools willing to spend the $. 

I hope they are selective, any starter push them to return, any depth guy they don't. 

Side note: Also, I hope that the Spring season is cancelled. I don't like it at all.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Given the recent news that all Fall athletes were given an additional year of eligibility. How do we think this is going to work at UND? Will everyone be given the opportunity if they so chose? Will nobody? Will they be selective?

I really do think that depending on how schools play this, some could really benefit some schools more than others. I look at UND, I would say their #1 issue in the Bubba era has been depth at specific positions (only a couple), but every year it's something. It comes down to $ and scholarships, because it would be expensive. This is the time to invest in the program, it's a cheat code for those schools willing to spend the $. 

I hope they are selective, any starter push them to return, any depth guy they don't. 

Side note: Also, I hope that the Spring season is cancelled. I don't like it at all.

I think these are all good questions and will be interesting to see what transpires here.  

I hope they do play in the spring.  Too bad not everyone played in a dome so they could start in January. 

Am I off with the thinking that this could really be the great equalizer? I see it as such an advantage that FCS from 2021 to 2026 you'll clearly see the split between schools that did and those that did not take advantage of the extra year.  Knowing that most FCS schools would not, there's a real opportunity to position UND moving forward. 

5 hours ago, Hambone said:

Boy is the Big Ten really boning this whole thing up.  Fully believe they expected all the other conferences to follow their lead and are scrambling......of course, others are putting a political spin on it as well.

Talk about giving into the pressure....... 

If you are going to make a decision, stick to your guns. Come on now. 

20 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Talk about giving into the pressure....... 

If you are going to make a decision, stick to your guns. Come on now. 

Like anything Covid related pick a frickin lane at some point......

1 hour ago, FightingSioux87 said:

How has The Herald not reported on anything UND sports related in over a week??? The Forum has had a ton of articles and story lines they are reporting every day...:devil:

The Herald sports writers are too busy tweeting about Covid and the mayor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Is it asking too much for the Department (capital D, as in UND Athletic Department) to set a standard across the board for all helmets? 

Something like:
- green helmets have black/white logo on sides and UND in black letters above the wearer's nose
- black helmets have green/white logo on sides and UND in white letters above the wearer's nose

• Upvote 3