SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

@siouxfan512 Without any inside information, I don't really have any thoughts on how the race is going, outside of I do think moving the season to Spring has mitigated the "experience" angle for Schuster. Could still very well be the starting QB, but do remember him having a year with the program as one of the highlights people used when thinking he would be the starter. 

51 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So who wins the QB battle, now that the new guys will have so much more time in the system? Vaughan certainly has the size and arm strength, Neal sounds pretty athletic, and Schuster has some live game experience (though extremely limited).

There has been zero reporting that I have seen on the players or the progress of the team this fall. So, any thoughts?

I am really excited about Vaughn.  With the new redshirt rules, he could play in half our games in the spring and still keep his redshirt.  I think the job is Schusters to lose.  He has shown he can make the plays and has the presence in the pocket.  That being said, it will all depend on how the season goes.  But I like our stock of QB's right now.

9 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Looks like the spring season plan is set: https://herosports.com/spring-fcs-playoff-format-approved/

Still incredibly stupid that we are not playing right now.

Would much rather be playing right now, but I'm slowly starting to come around to the Spring format. Actually seeing the dates, although not much different than anyone thought, doesn't make the turnaround to the 2021 Season seem as grueling as I originally thought. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'll take spring over nothing, but as we watch FBS leagues and High School sports backpedal and reverse their decisions, I think it is pretty clear a lot of people jumped the gun with the decision to cancel or postpone events.

Not really.  Let's reconvene in November and see how it went. 

There are 4-5 cancellations a week in college football right now.  That's absurd.  The FCS schools that are playing right now are getting destroyed and playing for literally nothing.  

On 9/22/2020 at 9:22 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am really excited about Vaughn.  With the new redshirt rules, he could play in half our games in the spring and still keep his redshirt.  I think the job is Schusters to lose.  He has shown he can make the plays and has the presence in the pocket.  That being said, it will all depend on how the season goes.  But I like our stock of QB's right now.

Per the NCAA rule this year for Fall sports this year won't count against a players eligibility so everyone gets a redshirt year this year. 

I think Brock Boltmann could end up being the starter or at least get significant playing time.  There was a UND insider blurb yesterday that had Coach Schweigert talking about the QB's.  He didn't give much information but did include Boltmann in the potential QB's.  

7 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

Per the NCAA rule this year for Fall sports this year won't count against a players eligibility so everyone gets a redshirt year this year. 

I think Brock Boltmann could end up being the starter or at least get significant playing time.  There was a UND insider blurb yesterday that had Coach Schweigert talking about the QB's.  He didn't give much information but did include Boltmann in the potential QB's.  

I think that's highly unlikely.. if he was that good of a qb, I think it's highly unlikely they would have moved him to wr.  He has always continued to take some qb reps, I believe.

23 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although I understand actually following the safety guidelines for fall football is difficult/impossible, what is going to change by spring?

The NCAA allowing rapid tests that only take 15 minutes, vs the tests that they were requiring in August which could take up to 3 days.

Allowing tests like this: https://sonanano.com/covid-19/  They are shooting for a test that costs less than $50.

50 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

Ugh I hope not. Boltmann is a tremendous athlete, but has done nothing to step up in that position at the college level, other than some flashy trick plays. I'd way rather see him lined up at WR and maybe the Brockstar formation here and there. I get not wanting to burn eligibility, in which cash Schuster would make the most sense, but he only has 1 game of experience, so he isn't way ahead of anybody else. If Vaughan or Neal come in and prove to be the best, then the I could care less about eligibility. Whoever gives the team the best chance to win should play. Just my opinion ... which may sound like I'm down on Brock, but I'm not. I'm a big fan of Brock, I just think he can be better utilized than a full time QB.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Ugh I hope not. Boltmann is a tremendous athlete, but has done nothing to step up in that position at the college level, other than some flashy trick plays. I'd way rather see him lined up at WR and maybe the Brockstar formation here and there. I get not wanting to burn eligibility, in which cash Schuster would make the most sense, but he only has 1 game of experience, so he isn't way ahead of anybody else. If Vaughan or Neal come in and prove to be the best, then the I could care less about eligibility. Whoever gives the team the best chance to win should play. Just my opinion ... which may sound like I'm down on Brock, but I'm not. I'm a big fan of Brock, I just think he can be better utilized than a full time QB.

Hey if he's the best one you got then you have to use him.  

28 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Where's Tommy at?  An article or 2 on the FB team would be nice once in awhile.

Agreed.  Must be nice to work for the Herald.  Tom Miller had an article about him in the spring https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4989834-UND-QB-Tommy-Schuster-adjusting-to-life-at-the-top-of-the-depth-chart

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Totally agree with you.  Unless Boltmann was much better than the others, makes sense to keep him at WR and gadget guy. Even if he was equal to Schuster at QB, then might as well play Schuster at QB and utilize Brock like last year.  He made some nice catches last year and we are short on WR experience.  Plus he is just a playmaker and a great athlete so get him on the field in various ways and make the defense have to prepare for him.  Now that he has a full season practicing at WR and getting that down, maybe they will work in a few more passing plays for him in practice at QB.  If he is able to connect on some passing plays in a game and get that on film, it will make the Brockstar more effective.  It will become less and less effective if he never completes a pass.  He'll likely be good for one or two trick WR passes during the year.  Thank god we now have an offense where the defensive coordinator has to prepare for, instead of just put 8 guys in the box and rush them all. 

This year will be the first time in 5 plus years that the QB spot is truly wide open.  We pretty much knew it would be Studs and then Kett the past 5 years.  I'm nervous about it...yet excited.