SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS 2019 Playoffs

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, Irish said:

It wouldn't hurt for Bubba to observe how a first year coach handles the game either.

Hopefully Bubba wasn't watching how the JMU coach handled the game.  The clock management the last drive was piss poor.  How about that double pass play on the last drive, reminiscent of our double reverse except the overcame it and got the first down.  I only watched the last few minutes of the game, I guess there was a fake field goal, also NDSU QB ran for a TD on 3rd and 23.  We'd be calling for a coaches heads if all of those things happened in one game. 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

We need better players.  

We do, and so does everybody else or NDSU will continue to win it all, 8 out of 9 years, or whatever it is.   I'd say realistically it's probably 75% chance they win at least 2 out of the next 3.  This was the year they were supposed to be vulnerable, and ended up undefeated.  Hell, even with how good JMU supposedly is, NDSU beats them at least 3 out of 4 times.

6 hours ago, LH Golfer said:

So, when does a FCS or a FBS school looking for a HC come knocking on Tyler Roehl's door?

Whoever want him they can have him. I’m not sure if it is him or Entz responsible for the play calling, but if they have a lead in the second half , they become EXTREMELY conservative and predictable. 

I agree.  TR's play calling gets pretty vanilla at times and gets us into trouble.  It really reminds me of some of the bad days when Vigen was OC and the play calling was not creative.  I was watching the game yesterday with a friend of mine who is a HS coach here in WYO and we both could see how TR was callling stuff in the 2nd half that looked like Vigen being too conservative with the Cowboys.  TR certainly learned from Vigen.

4 hours ago, WYOBISONMAN said:

I agree.  TR's play calling gets pretty vanilla at times and gets us into trouble.  It really reminds me of some of the bad days when Vigen was OC and the play calling was not creative.  I was watching the game yesterday with a friend of mine who is a HS coach here in WYO and we both could see how TR was callling stuff in the 2nd half that looked like Vigen being too conservative with the Cowboys.  TR certainly learned from Vigen.

On the other hand, the play calling minimizes turnovers and has resulted in an undefeated National Championship, Peyton and  Rice Award winner for a freshman QB. Granted, they have an outstanding Oline which is important and are loaded across the board but I don’t think the accomplishments are as easy as some think. I don’t watch them so I’m not sure I could offer a valid opinion to disagree otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

On the other hand, the play calling minimizes turnovers and has resulted in an undefeated National Championship, Peyton and  Rice Award winner for a freshman QB. Granted, they have an outstanding Oline which is important and are loaded across the board but I don’t think the accomplishments are as easy as some think. I don’t watch them so I’m not sure I could offer a valid opinion to disagree otherwise. 

I think your take is right on. Football is a team game and none of the three phases of the game compete in a vacuum. The goal of the game is to win, not to break offensive output records. I think a lot of the griping about conservative play-calling from many of the NDSU OC’s over the years has been unwarranted as it’s NDSU’s plan heading into most games. Shorten the game by keeping the ball in our hands. Wear out a defense by letting our Oline grind them for three quarters so they are worn out in the fourth. It isn’t a coincidence that NDSU always seems to win the fourth quarter, they design it that way and are committed to it. Clearly it’s worked out for them.

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 4:09 PM, Kab said:

Don’t know that Entz is that good of a coach, has good players around him

JMU coaching staff should have know something was up on the field goal, that kids first field goal attempt of the year into the wind, didn’t do their homework on that play 

He was the starting kicker at the beginning of the season but got hurt in the first quarter of the first game. This was his first game back. That's why he hadn't kicked any FGs all year. He kicked all 4 extra points in the game so he was more than capable of making that FG. His presence was not a clue they were going to fake it.

12 hours ago, MIBT said:

He was the starting kicker at the beginning of the season but got hurt in the first quarter of the first game. This was his first game back. That's why he hadn't kicked any FGs all year. He kicked all 4 extra points in the game so he was more than capable of making that FG. His presence was not a clue they were going to fake it.

Is that Hendricks the typical holder?  Seems like JMU would have noticed that.  Pretty sneaky move if he got in there undetected!!  Definitely the play of the game and one hell of a play call.

31 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Is that Hendricks the typical holder?  Seems like JMU would have noticed that.  Pretty sneaky move if he got in there undetected!!  Definitely the play of the game and one hell of a play call.

he is their holder.  They must have seen on tape that JMU voids that side on field goals because it was cut and dry where they fake was going

Headshaker how SIL moves up in final poll under the guise that MVFC is si tough yet Big Sky has two in semi finals and five in top 10 but UND playing a BS schedule and beating Montana State (corrected) drops out, yes we lost first round, to eventual #11. What did SIL do to justify moving up? Yah there is no bias among those guys.