SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS 2019 Playoffs

SiouxFan100

25 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Gracious handshake by Matt Entz, too.  Tried the drive-by and had to turn around to say something back at JMU coach.  

I bet the fans were oh so gracious.  I saw many SU fans hugging and consoling JMU fans.  Just so heart warming to see this.

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Minnesota wanted to make him a linebacker from what I’ve heard 

They wanted him to come to camp and work out as an athlete. Safety was the primary position they envisioned him in but Lance felt strongly about only wanting to be a QB and it is looking like a pretty smart decision by him. 

Minnesota is looking just fine at QB too so I doubt either side has a whole lot of regret.

Just now, crb1 said:

On that last play where in the world was the QB for JMU throwing too? I looked like there was nobody but NDSU players by the ball. I have to imagine it was a blown play and he was expecting a receiver to be there.

Well I believe his last playoff game last resulted in 5 INTs so would not say he isn't prone to a throw like that.

Just now, crb1 said:

On that last play where in the world was the QB for JMU throwing too? I looked like there was nobody but NDSU players by the ball. I have to imagine it was a blown play and he was expecting a receiver to be there.

There was a receiver there, but the safety read the play all the way and jumped the gap for the pick.  Personally, I would have run that thing back 100 yards for the pick 6 and call it a day.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I bet he'll be at Minnesota before his college career is over.

Highly doubt that. Minnesota has their own answers at QB and aren't out looking for someone. PFF ranked the top returning QBs for next season and the Gopher's Tanner Morgan is #5. Morgan wasn't even supposed to start going into the season until Zack Annexstad got hurt early on in training camp. Add to that a couple highly touted freshmen that redshirted this year and a 4 star commit for the '21 class and I'd say the Gophers are just fine at QB.

5. TANNER MORGAN, MINNESOTA

Tanner Morgan emerged on the college football landscape during Week 8 of the 2018 season as a redshirt freshman when Minnesota’s starter Zack Annexstad was knocked out due to injury. Morgan started the rest of the year and was below average, ranking 104th in PFF passing grade. This season was a different story for Morgan, improving his passing grade rank all the way to fourth — tied with Tua Tagovailoa.

Morgan’s 2019 season has been carried by his performance under pressure. He ranked second in PFF passing grade under pressure, behind only Heisman winner Joe Burrow this season. His pocket presence and footwork were vastly improved upon, leading the way to the third-highest rate of accurate-plus passes thrown under pressure (perfectly placed passes to the receiver). Quarterback performance under pressure is unstable year to year, but the way Morgan handled it in 2019 gives a lot of reason to believe he’ll be near the top again in 2020.

The scheme couldn’t be better for Morgan, too. Minnesota executes run-pass options (RPO) at the nation’s fourth-highest rate (45%). An RPO is an extension of the run game — the quarterback has the option to either hand the ball off or pull for a quicker pass. Among 74 qualifying FBS quarterbacks, Morgan ranks first in PFF passing grade when he pulls on an RPO. He took full advantage of these plays, averaging over 3.5 yards more per attempt than the FBS average.

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

On that last play where in the world was the QB for JMU throwing too? It looked like there was nobody but NDSU players by the ball. I have to imagine it was a blown play and he was expecting a receiver to be there.

They were running the oldest goal line play in the book but Hendricks read it.  JMU needed to slip one of the blockers out for an option but it looked like they ran just the one route, not sure.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

They were running the oldest goal line play in the book but Hendricks read it.  JMU needed to slip one of the blockers out for an option but it looked like they ran just the one route, not sure.

That clock management though...yikes.

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Dare I say the gap between UND and NDSU hasn’t gotten any closer in the last decade...I’d say it’s gotten wider.

Agree.

Starting next season UND has the 3 Dakota schools annually. Let's start with SDSU. UND will most likely need to go 2-1 vs those schools to make the playoffs out of the MVC.

Don’t know that Entz is that good of a coach, has good players around him

JMU coaching staff should have know something was up on the field goal, that kids first field goal attempt of the year into the wind, didn’t do their homework on that play 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kab said:

Don’t know that Entz is that good of a coach, has good players around him.

Classic.  When a hated opponent loses, it’s bad coaching.  When they go 16-0, it’s, “meh.  My 96 year old grandpa could have coached that team to a title.”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Classic.  When a hated opponent loses, it’s bad coaching.  When they go 16-0, it’s, “meh.  My 96 year old grandpa could have coached that team to a title.”

Does Bubba coach this team to 16-0?

We know the answer.

Lance clearly carried a big load today and won it overall for the Bison.   Scary to think he has 3 more college years if he wants them.   He's a smart player and knows how to avoid injury, which is more than you could say about another former Bison QB.  The hits he took today would have gotten a lot of QB's carried off the field on the crash cart.