SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Because the NCAA SRS normalizes to the number of games you play. 

Seven wins against FCS teams is better in an 11 game schedule than a 12 game schedule when normalized. If you schedule that 12th game you'd better be sure to win it. 

I'm not real smart but I was always taught 8 >> 7 (if all wins are FCS wins)

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

You buyin'? 

Talks is cheap; it takes money to buy ... cupcakes. ;) 

Missing the playoffs and being stuck in a state of mediocrity as program costs more......but I get what you're saying.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

There is plenty of Valpo's out there.

Ohh God, a ridiculous amount.....you could be independent and be 12-0 every year with how many irrelevant "Division 1" teams there are.  

Next year lets get the fighting camels of Campbell up here or the Presbyterian blue hose.....

Like what hat do you wear to a Stetson Hatters game????

26 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I thought I heard on some podcast that they actually tried to get a 12th game but the teams that were available didn't fit what UND was looking for (perhaps all the cupcakes were gone?). 

Like ISU?

5 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I thought I heard on some podcast that they actually tried to get a 12th game but the teams that were available didn't fit what UND was looking for (perhaps all the cupcakes were gone?). 

From what I heard, there was no real effort to get a 12th game, whether it was  a cupcake buy game or an FBS payday, simply because the schedule heading into the season was so daunting.  They were rolling the dice that the 2nd bye week was going to be as valuable as an extra win from Valpo type team or a half million dollars from an FBS team, as far as building a playoff resume based on how strong the schedule was.....

6 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

From what I heard, there was no real effort to get a 12th game, whether it was  a cupcake buy game or an FBS payday, simply because the schedule heading into the season was so daunting.  They were rolling the dice that the 2nd bye week was going to be as valuable as an extra win from Valpo type team or a half million dollars from an FBS team, as far as building a playoff resume based on how strong the schedule was.....

Given our injury situation the week before Weber, at the time it seems like many were happy we had the bye week. I’m not going to blame Bubba for that one, who knows maybe we lose that week with multiple players out, then playoffs are for sure out of the question. Given our tough schedule I wasn’t super pissed we didn’t have a twelfth game, in hindsight it may cost us but we will see. But since I was adamantly opposed to it before the season I’m not going to sit here now in Hindsight and throw blame.

We could've scheduled a cupcake between the ndsu and ewu games. I believe I've been pretty consistent in questioning the decision not to schedule a 12th game, so I'm going to keep questioning it. With that said, many fcs folks were saying 7 wins with UND's schedule was a playoff guarantee. Of course, after UND beat certain teams they were no longer respected, as usual. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We could've scheduled a cupcake between the ndsu and ewu games. I believe I've been pretty consistent in questioning the decision not to schedule a 12th game, so I'm going to keep questioning it. With that said, many fcs folks were saying 7 wins with UND's schedule was a playoff guarantee. Of course, after UND beat certain teams they were no longer respected, as usual. 

If you were solidly questioning it before the season, I’m good with you questioning it now. I think some were ok with the two bye weeks before the season and some were not.  I just don’t like it when people change their tune based on hindsight vision. 

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Let me ask this:

Say UND beat ISU but lost to either UC Davis or MSU... would UND be sweating as much?  Two big wins at home and zero bad losses to point at

I think we needed the MSU win, but ya if we beat ISU and lost to Davis I think our chances are better to get in, crazy as that seems. All comes down to how are your quality of losses. Of all of the joking we all made about it, it may happen to us again. 

7 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Bubba’s boner for ndsu cost us the playoffs in 2015 and could again this year.  If ndsu would’ve done a home and Home, fine.  But two on the road for a minuscule payment was dumb.  

A couple of Valpo’s in 15 and 19 could’ve gone a long ways towards building momentum and interest in the program. 

Agreed, I was against this lopsided scheduling agreement from day one. Now starting next year we play them every year again so in the end this accomplished little.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Agreed, I was against this lopsided scheduling agreement from day one. Now starting next year we play them every year again so in the end this accomplished little.

It was only negative.  It confirmed what Fargo assumed to be true and broke a lot of UND fans.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Bubba’s boner for ndsu cost us the playoffs in 2015 and could again this year.  If ndsu would’ve done a home and Home, fine.  But two on the road for a minuscule payment was dumb.  

A couple of Valpo’s in 15 and 19 could’ve gone a long ways towards building momentum and interest in the program. 

Faison made the decision with Bubba’s input. I opposed it because we weren’t ready for NDSU and I would not have agreed to 2 away games. I agree it cost us a playoff shot the first year and could be a major factor this year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I agree completely with your premise, but even if it would have been a home and home, the outcome would have likely been the same. 

20 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I am going to guess they cleared more for that game than they did for several of their earlier FBS games (Idaho).  Charters are in the 100-125 range, I believe.  FCS games go for about 200-250K so after charter/hotel/food there is less than they got at NDSU.