SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Faison made the decision with Bubba’s input. I opposed it because we weren’t ready for NDSU and I would not have agreed to 2 away games. I agree it cost us a playoff shot the first year and could be a major factor this year. 

This line of thinking is why I hope the selection committee takes SOS into serious consideration.  Is the goal only to get to 7 wins or is the goal to challenge yourself while doing so?  The NDSU loss isn’t the one that kept UND out of the playoffs both years.  

1 hour ago, homer said:

This line of thinking is why I hope the selection committee takes SOS into serious consideration.  Is the goal only to get to 7 wins or is the goal to challenge yourself while doing so?  The NDSU loss isn’t the one that kept UND out of the playoffs both years.  

No, but if they schedule a cup-cake for those two games that's hypothetically another win, which definitely puts them in the playoffs each time.

10 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I agree completely with your premise, but even if it would have been a home and home, the outcome would have likely been the same. 

No one is arguing that.  If ndsu would have proposed a home and Home, we would’ve looked like total jerks for not trying to make it work, so it would’ve been done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Easy to second guess the scheduling of SU now. At the time it made UND look good in the state and as The Flagship that is the way it should be. I agree that it did cost us a playoff run then and it might now. 

Many of us second guessed it at the time.  It was asinine, and all the reasons it was second guessed have come to fruition. 

1 hour ago, homer said:

The goal is the playoffs. 

The formula everyone else uses is two cupcakes and an FBS payday, or 3 cupcakes.  

But in 15 and 19 we scheduled a juggernaut cowpie instead. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Easy to second guess the scheduling of SU now. At the time it made UND look good in the state and as The Flagship that is the way it should be. I agree that it did cost us a playoff run then and it might now. 

It made UND look weak scheduling 2 away games for pocket change.  NDSU made significantly more money on those games than they would have with road FBS buy games.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It made UND look weak scheduling 2 away games for pocket change.  NDSU made significantly more money on those games than they would have with road FBS buy games.

To repeat:  I am going to guess they cleared more for that game than they did for several of their earlier FBS games (Idaho).  Charters are in the 100-125 range, I believe.  FCS games go for about 200-250K so after charter/hotel/food there is less than they got at NDSU.  

Now I do realize that NDSU made a mint of it vs any other FCS team they would've had to bring in but that isn't the topic.  

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

To repeat:  I am going to guess they cleared more for that game than they did for several of their earlier FBS games (Idaho).  Charters are in the 100-125 range, I believe.  FCS games go for about 200-250K so after charter/hotel/food there is less than they got at NDSU.  

Now I do realize that NDSU made a mint of it vs any other FCS team they would've had to bring in but that isn't the topic.  

You're comparing to a game scheduled against a fake FBS team during the D1 transition?  It was an awful deal.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

You're comparing to a game scheduled against a fake FBS team during the D1 transition?  It was an awful deal.

They also played FBS games that garnered little to no attention for 300K, IIRC.  After expenses how much did they net for those games?

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

The goal is the playoffs. 

The formula everyone else uses is two cupcakes and an FBS payday, or 3 cupcakes.  

But in 15 and 19 we scheduled a juggernaut cowpie instead. 

Agree to disagree.  Chicken !@#$ mentality that doesn’t improve your program.  Kids want to compete against the best.  

25 minutes ago, SteppenHawk said:

A school can guarantee their ticket to the playoffs with an easy schedule but they ain't gonna beat anyone when they get there. Scheduling has to be balanced, it's not that hard to figure out really. Although putting a schedule together years in advance can be one big guess.

The conference portion of the season prepares a team for the playoffs well enough.   

4 minutes ago, homer said:

Agree to disagree.  Chicken !@#$ mentality that doesn’t improve your program.  Kids want to compete against the best.  

I agree they want to compete against the best; but I bet they would like to compete against the best in the playoffs instead of sitting at home,  vs competing against the best at the beginning of the year.  

My point was the ndsu scheduling could potentially end up denying two playoff worthy UND teams (15 and 19) from even making the playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I agree they want to compete against the best; but I bet they would like to compete against the best in the playoffs instead of sitting at home,  vs competing against the best at the beginning of the year.  

My point was the ndsu scheduling could potentially end up denying two playoff worthy UND teams (15 and 19) from even making the playoffs. 

The loss to a cupcake on our schedule is what kept us out/could keep us out.  

We had the cupcake there already and lost.  

A lot of distracting points here that I don’t think are entirely relevant. The 11 game schedule in a 12 game year and scheduling NDSU twice in Fargo are hindsight excuses and not important.

UND needs to take care of business and that’s the bottom line. It’s far more about what they do on the field; not what the schedule is or isnt. The biggest flaw for UND in 2019 is the embarrassing, unexplainable blow out loss to Idaho State. If they miss the postseason in 2019, it’s because of that. 

UND is still guaranteed 1 game in 2019; it is against Southern Utah in Grand Forks. If UND wants to have a shot at the playoffs per the committee, they need to show up on Saturday and look like a playoff team. I know it didn’t work in 2015 (UND blew out Cal Poly and still didn’t make it due to a bad Idaho State loss), but it could salvage the 2019 season. UND needs to win CONVINCINGLY against Southern Utah. If they don’t, no one on the committee will think UND belongs and they probably don’t belong either if they can’t handle Southern Utah. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A lot of distracting points here that I don’t think are entirely relevant. The 11 game schedule in a 12 game year and scheduling NDSU twice in Fargo are hindsight excuses and not important.

UND needs to take care of business and that’s the bottom line. It’s far more about what they do on the field; not what the schedule is or isnt. The biggest flaw for UND in 2019 is the embarrassing, unexplainable blow out loss to Idaho State. If they miss the postseason in 2019, it’s because of that. 

UND is still guaranteed 1 game in 2019; it is against Southern Utah in Grand Forks. If UND wants to have a shot at the playoffs per the committee, they need to show up on Saturday and look like a playoff team. I know it didn’t work in 2015 (UND blew out Cal Poly and still didn’t make it due to a bad Idaho State loss), but it could salvage the 2019 season. UND needs to win CONVINCINGLY against Southern Utah. If they don’t, no one on the committee will think UND belongs and they probably don’t belong either if they can’t handle Southern Utah. 

I'll disagree with the bolded point. If you have the opportunity to schedule a 12th game....do it.  The lack of the 12th game and an 8th FCS win will be what keeps UND out if they are not selected at 7-4.

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll disagree with the bolded point. If you have the opportunity to schedule a 12th game....do it.  The lack of the 12th game and an 8th FCS win will be what keeps UND out if they are not selected at 7-4.

I would counter and say a team that loses by 35 to Idaho State shouldn’t be in the playoff anyways, whether they play 11 or 12 games is pointless. Now, with all that, UND could still make it at 7-4 if they look the part against SUU and a few other games being played go their way. 

37 minutes ago, homer said:

The loss to a cupcake on our schedule is what kept us out/could keep us out.  

We had the cupcake there already and lost.  

The subject here had been scheduling, which is when I made my original point regarding ndsu. 

You only get to schedule 3, sometimes 4 opponents. Yes, ISU was a bad loss.  But if you’re 8-3, you’re in the playoffs regardless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I would counter and say a team that loses by 35 to Idaho State shouldn’t be in the playoff anyways, whether they play 11 or 12 games is pointless. Now, with all that, UND could still make it at 7-4 if they look the part against SUU and a few other games being played go their way. 

Not disagreeing with the ISU loss but 8 wins is always better than 7 in the committee's eyes.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

No, but if they schedule a cup-cake for those two games that's hypothetically another win, which definitely puts them in the playoffs each time.

So they schedule a Valpo-esque team instead of NDSU and make the playoffs this year?  Great!  Then what...this team hasn't given me any reason to believe that we can do any kind of damage in the bracket.  But I guess if we are just happy to make the field...then that's great!  Besides we already had a cupcake game on the schedule in Pocatello (and we all know how that turned out).

In all honesty what we should have done for 2019 is scheduled another Pioneer League team AND an FBS instead of NDSU.  If you're going to lose that game anyway...we might as well get paid well to do so and not have it be counted against us.  That way we'd be 8-4 with an FBS loss (8-3 FCS) and in solid position.  But again would that have made us any better of a team this year?  In my opinion the answer is no...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Siouxphan27 said:

The subject here had been scheduling, which is when I made my original point regarding ndsu. 

You only get to schedule 3, sometimes 4 opponents. Yes, ISU was a bad loss.  But if you’re 8-3, you’re in the playoffs regardless. 

8-4 and you are in as well.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Not disagreeing with the ISU loss but 8 wins is always better than 7 in the committee's eyes.

The committee isn’t a computer; they look at the big picture. If the 8th win was against a high quality opponent, maybe it would help. But I question if this UND team could even acquire an 8th win with how inconsistent they are. So, again, it comes back to what UND can and cannot do on the field.

• Upvote 1