SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Updated Massey ratings show UND dropped 3 spots to #20 after yesterday's performance.......

Would UND have moved up 2 spots had Schuster played 2 plays instead of one on Saturday?

Folks, Massey is analytic.

UND went up last week in Massey after a loss because of a good opponent raising UND’s strength of schedule.

This week, a win, but overall strength of schedule fell because of the week opponent. Net effect was an overall drop in ranking this week. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This week NDSU really really needs to blow the doors off SIU.  I mean like win by 40 plus which they are 100 percent capable of.

Maybe that'll help when we beat SUU by 3 points.  

While the Bison want to win this game to have a perfect regular season, they really have nothing else to go gain other than a perfect season. They are locked into a a top 2 seed after this weekends results, so they will have home field as long as they are playing. Even though they said starting LB's Cox and Mercadel could probably play against SIU, I would be surprised if they do. Any body that is a little nicked up will probably be left at home. This game will be much bigger for SIU than for NDSU. 

11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

While the Bison want to win this game to have a perfect regular season, they really have nothing else to go gain other than a perfect season. They are locked into a a top 2 seed after this weekends results, so they will have home field as long as they are playing. Even though they said starting LB's Cox and Mercadel could probably play against SIU, I would be surprised if they do. Any body that is a little nicked up will probably be left at home. This game will be much bigger for SIU than for NDSU. 

Kind of what I'm afraid of.  NDSU has a go through the motions game, and while they still win, they give the impression to the people in the smoke filled room that SIU belongs in the field.  

After UND's performance against UNC, I can't complain though if they win and the season ends on Sunday.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Kind of what I'm afraid of.  NDSU has a go through the motions game, and while they still win, they give the impression to the people in the smoke filled room that SIU belongs in the field.  

After UND's performance against UNC, I can't complain though if they win and the season ends on Sunday.  

You don't win Nattys by going through the motions. EVER!

They will play hard and while it's smart to sideline guys who are nicked, the effort will be there.

6 minutes ago, shep said:

You don't win Nattys by going through the motions. EVER!

They will play hard and while it's smart to sideline guys who are nicked, the effort will be there.

NDSU's 2 deep are better than almost every team in FCS.......... they'll win by at least 24.

......and UND beats SUU by 4.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Folks, Massey is analytic.

UND went up last week in Massey after a loss because of a good opponent raising UND’s strength of schedule.

This week, a win, but overall strength of schedule fell because of the week opponent. Net effect was an overall drop in ranking this week. 

There was an explanation as to why they just don't use Massey similar to Pairwise - something about not enough games to be a true rating tool? 

4 games allowed including playoffs so if they have no plans to play Schuster it will be a non-issue unless an injury causes UND to need him (dang I feel like it's bad karma even to mention this).  As has been said UND wins 7 they belong in the field (SOS, perfect at home are two of the reasons) and could even host a first round and win it (teams in the lower half are all pretty average). Once you get past the first round the going gets tougher (yah I was around for 2016 so no need to bring that up). 

40 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

NDSU's 2 deep are better than almost every team in FCS.......... they'll win by at least 24.

......and UND beats SUU by 4.

Does that get UND in the playoffs? Will they take 5 or 6 Big Sky teams? Will the Big Sky rep argue UND would be 6th in the conference standings if they were actually in the conference and do they lobby for the actual top 5 members to get in? I have no idea.  And will a playoff appearance get Bubba an extension? Are UND fans good with that? 

16 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Does that get UND in the playoffs? Will they take 5 or 6 Big Sky teams? Will the Big Sky rep argue UND would be 6th in the conference standings if they were actually in the conference and do they lobby for the actual top 5 members to get in? I have no idea.  And will a playoff appearance get Bubba an extension? Are UND fans good with that? 

If UND squeaks by?  No. They need to win big.  I expect no help from the BSC rep.  No, I don’t think there will be an extension with a win.  

if they so much as lose.... then a deeper discussion needs to be had. 

Honestly.... I’m not holding my breath for playoffs.  If they get in, I’ll gladly eat crow.

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

That's like asking NDSU fans if they'd be okay with losing to Wofford at home in the 2nd round....:lol:

IF.....we beat SUU barely, barely get in, and then get shelled by the Jacks or whomever first round, pumping our chests and giving Bubba more years may get Alerus center attendance under 5,000 consistently....

16 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Never say never ewu has a pedigree, I know slamming me personally makes you feel better, but try not to let it get in the way of a football conversation amongst adults.

Sorry I thought Ranchers in Texas were bigger than having their feelings hurt.  My deepest Sympathies.  It was a joke...….

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

... allowed to schedule 12 games in a season why schedule just 11 games?

Because the NCAA SRS normalizes to the number of games you play. 

Seven wins against FCS teams is better in an 11 game schedule than a 12 game schedule when normalized. If you schedule that 12th game you'd better be sure to win it. 

10 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

And will a playoff appearance get Bubba an extension? Are UND fans good with that? 

I don't necessarily think fans are looking for an extension.  I think best case scenario is for Bubba to retire after his current contract is up (after 2021 season), after having made the playoffs in each of his last three seasons.  (2019, 2020, 2021)

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If you know the more wins the better to give your program the opportunity to make the playoffs when allowed to schedule 12 games in a season why schedule just 11 games? UND only has themselves to blame if 7-4 doesn't get them in. 8-4 definitely would get them in even with the ISU debacle.

If you're looking for style points with a blowout vs SUU and/or someone on the committee to carry your water to get you in at 7-4 you're expecting too much.

If I'm Bubba and I cross the fifty yard line I go for it on 4th down and 5 or less every time unless I'm up by three scores.

Wait, pin em deep, run the ball, play good defense.....

UND 24.....SUU 23

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If I'm Bubba and I cross the fifty yard line I go for it on 4th down and 5 or less every time unless I'm up by three scores.

Should I kick or should I go? 
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/9/14/16300604/college-football-fourth-down-conversions