SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

With the new CCHA, I'm really curious what will happen to the two Alaska schools and UAH.  All 3 are outliers for travel and now without a conference.  Also, with lack of competitiveness/money/attendance in recent history, they're not going to have conferences banging on their doors with invites to join.  Drop to DIII?  Drop the program all together? 

If there's been news on this, I've missed it...

11 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

With the new CCHA, I'm really curious what will happen to the two Alaska schools and UAH.  All 3 are outliers for travel and now without a conference.  Also, with lack of competitiveness/money/attendance in recent history, they're not going to have conferences banging on their doors with invites to join.  Drop to DIII?  Drop the program all together? 

If there's been news on this, I've missed it...

Would Atlantic take them?

I hate to break it to people, but this was the inevitable conclusion when the Big Ten/NCHC/WCHA/CCHA  power consolidation took place. There was zero possibility that 6 D2 schools and Bowling Green could prop up the Alaskas and UAH with the instability that they have. Yes, the Alaska schools partially subsidized travel for the other schools, but with the oil boom gone, the state budget of Alaska is failing and athletics are going to be hurt at universities. All of the potential to have big paydays from large D1 institutiions (and UND in hockey) are gone for these schools and that was able to prop them up for a long time. That's gone and if the larger schools weren't willing to step in, this was going to be the result.

Look, I'm not blaming the Big Ten or NCHC for what they did. I'm saddened by it, but I don't necessarily blame them. Many of the WCHA schools were their own worst enemy. They didn't/don't make the financial commitment needed and the top schools got sick of it and said goodbye. It spurred on some schools like Mankato and Bowling Green and Tech to make some bigger investments, but it was too late. Any facade that "college hockey works together for the good of college hockey is gone". Once the initial split happened, it was not going to be possible for the smaller budget schools to continue the way it was.

As for what happens going forward, I suspect at least one of the Alaska schools will shut down their program within 3 years. UAA has already broken bylaws of the conference (without approval from the other schools, mind you) and moved into an arena that has capacity of less than 2000 and UAF is considering doing the same thing. Those type of changes signify unhealthy programs. UAH has an outside shot of being invited to the group of 7 as they have approval on a new arena, but we've heard that song and dance from them before. Until there are shovels in the ground, I'm not sure anyone should believe anything that's being said. Atlantic Hockey will absolutely not take the Alaskas. They are a bus league and trips to Alaska would decidedly not be a bus trip. MAYBE they would take Alabama, but that's also doubtful as that's not really a bus trip either.

It's sad. The one thing that all of the conference shuffling has made crystal clear is that it's every school for themselves. It's not necessarily right or wrong, it just is. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bale31 said:

I hate to break it to people, but this was the inevitable conclusion when the Big Ten/NCHC/WCHA/CCHA  power consolidation took place. There was zero possibility that 6 D2 schools and Bowling Green could prop up the Alaskas and UAH with the instability that they have. Yes, the Alaska schools partially subsidized travel for the other schools, but with the oil boom gone, the state budget of Alaska is failing and athletics are going to be hurt at universities. All of the potential to have big paydays from large D1 institutiions (and UND in hockey) are gone for these schools and that was able to prop them up for a long time. That's gone and if the larger schools weren't willing to step in, this was going to be the result.

Look, I'm not blaming the Big Ten or NCHC for what they did. I'm saddened by it, but I don't necessarily blame them. Many of the WCHA schools were their own worst enemy. They didn't/don't make the financial commitment needed and the top schools got sick of it and said goodbye. It spurred on some schools like Mankato and Bowling Green and Tech to make some bigger investments, but it was too late. Any facade that "college hockey works together for the good of college hockey is gone". Once the initial split happened, it was not going to be possible for the smaller budget schools to continue the way it was.

As for what happens going forward, I suspect at least one of the Alaska schools will shut down their program within 3 years. UAA has already broken bylaws of the conference (without approval from the other schools, mind you) and moved into an arena that has capacity of less than 2000 and UAF is considering doing the same thing. Those type of changes signify unhealthy programs. UAH has an outside shot of being invited to the group of 7 as they have approval on a new arena, but we've heard that song and dance from them before. Until there are shovels in the ground, I'm not sure anyone should believe anything that's being said. Atlantic Hockey will absolutely not take the Alaskas. They are a bus league and trips to Alaska would decidedly not be a bus trip. MAYBE they would take Alabama, but that's also doubtful as that's not really a bus trip either.

It's sad. The one thing that all of the conference shuffling has made crystal clear is that it's every school for themselves. It's not necessarily right or wrong, it just is. 

UAA was an independent from 1988 to 1994.  If they have to shut the program down, it's on them.  Especially after they recently built a 110 million dollar basketball-only arena.  

• Upvote 1

If any team leaves it would be Miami for Mankato. I think the BGSU guy posts on here was over on Western Michigan’s csnbbs saying Bergeron wasn’t happy about Miami going to the NCHC and Western Michigan said no. Also Mankato will leave if the NCHC comes calling. I don’t think Miami will leave the NCHC. 

https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/18/seven-ncaa-hockey-schools-leaving-wcha-rebranding-themselves-as-new-ccha-conference/

Seven NCAA hockey schools leaving WCHA rebranding themselves as new CCHA conference

"The seven schools are Bemidji State, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota State and Northern Michigan."

Harvard beats Clarkson 5-2

Cornell beats Yale 4-0

Merrimack beats Providence 2-0

Maine beats Vermont 6-1

BC beats Northeastern 10-1

UConn beats BU 4-3 OT

Lowell beats UMass 3-2

BGSU beats Ferris State 6-1

LSSU beats Northern Michigan 6-1

Mankato beats UAH 10-0

Bemidji beats UAA 2-0

Western Michigan beats Duluth 5-3

Denver beats Miami 7-3

Omaha beats CC 5-0

Notre Dame beats Michigan 2-1

Ohio State beats Michigan State 1-0

Minnesota and Penn State tied 3-3 OT

Wisconsin beats Arizona State 7-6

Cornell beats Union 3-2 OT

Maine and Vermont tied 0-0 OT

Merrimack beats Providence 3-2

UConn beats BU 6-1

UMass beats Lowell 5-3

UAA leads Bemidji 2-1

Mankato beats UAH 8-0

BGSU beats Ferris State 3-1

Northern Michigan beats LSSU 5-1

Duluth beats Western Michigan 2-1

Denver leads Miami 5-0

CC beats Omaha 3-2

Penn State beats Minnesota 3-2

Ohio State beats Michigan State 4-2

Notre Dame beats Michigan 3-0

Wisconsin beats Arizona State 6-2

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

Man, ASU had three 5min major penalties tonight against UW.
That's a rough night.

and a player leave the bench during fight so he can't play in NCAA if they make it.  Last year they had a player suspended for the first round game as well.  Their regular season is now over and they sit and wait a long time to see if make NCAAs.