SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2019-20

cberkas

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

So I guess we're hoping for a sweep against CC and then have DU & UMD split against each other...that would make it really hard for either of them to catch UND in the NCHC standings.

How about if we sweep CC and Denver and let Denver sweep Duluth putting them closer to the bubble.  No, I definitely hear what you are saying, getting far enough ahead of all of the teams closest in pursuit.  Wouldn't want Denver to be able to come in here in a few weeks and be able to turn the tables on us and end up in the lead, because after we play them they have the more desirable schedule.  

At this point, I just hope to see them peak in March, by whichever means that happens or wherever it leaves them in the rankings.  Goaltending success can be fickle, and  injuries may be around any corner.  Just get them healthy and playing their best hockey come tourney time. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

At this point, I just hope to see them peak in March, by whichever means that happens or wherever it leaves them in the rankings.  Goaltending success can be fickle, and  injuries may be around any corner.  Just get them healthy and playing their best hockey come tourney time. 

Because of our depth, I think that a lot of the time Berry errors on the side of giving the players extra time to heal, rather than rush someone back.   I guess we are in a better position to do that as well, but I think it will help us down the road when we don't have a bunch of guys broken down by playing through injuries.  That is my hope anyway.  Of course if we were fighting for home ice and on the bubble of the tournament, I am not so sure I would want key guys sitting out of the lineup unless it was absolutely necessary.  

1 hour ago, Old Fella said:

If Duluth sweeps Denver will drop in pairwise to the 2nd tier.  In this situation Sioux could be sent to Loveland,

Agreed - not like I'm going to root for those metro/private school/Eurotrash Pioneers or anything, but it would seem like the best Pairwise scenario is for UND to hold on to the #1 overall (maximum protection in any potential bracket iterations) and have DU stay on the 1-seed line to avoid ending up in their regional. Wooster with BC as the 2 sounds like something the Sioux would get "rewarded" with, but hopefully it's more like Allentown/PSU. 

disclaimer: single-elimination postseason hockey is highly dependent on streaky snipers, goaltenders, and puck luck. Above discussion is meant to pass time in late January and will not have any bearing on the eventual results in the NCAA tournament.

Clarkson beats Yale 3-1

Quinnipiac beats Cornell 5-0

Harvard beats Union 8-5

UConn beats UNH 7-4

Northeastern beats Providence 4-3

BC beats UMass 3-0

BU beats Vermont 4-2

Maine beats Merrimack 6-2

Northern Michigan beats Ferris State 5-2

Bemidji beats BGSU 5-1

Mankato leads UAA 2-0

Michigan Tech beats UAH 4-1