SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

This game is perfectly representative of this season - changes need to be made and right soon - the question is - will the Hockey Program,  UND, and the Athleticv Department have the will to do so.  This is our flagship program and it has become almost unwatchable.

37 minutes ago, Irish said:

This game is perfectly representative of this season - changes need to be made and right soon - the question is - will the Hockey Program,  UND, and the Athleticv Department have the will to do so.  This is our flagship program and it has become almost unwatchable.

I feel we've become the MI Tech of the Toews/Oshie years.

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Bud...you just listed three underclassmen and a whiff by Dallas.  Also, the margin between a 5th-undrafted pick is razor thin.

I wasn't calling anyone out for their level of play.

I was making the same point as you "5-undrafted is razor thin."

And saying some of these guys probably get drafted because they are going to the nations top college programs and that probably gets them bumped up a bit and drafted vs a player that goes to CC or Alaska.

I’d love to be optimistic about next year’s forwards suddenly changing the story line and blame this tailspin on a few misses or lack of forward talent but in sports or business, this is very reminiscent of classic signs of mediocre/poor leadership we’ve watched from so many other teams. Mike Eaves, York post-Cavanaugh, Lucia, late era Berenson and Parker, etc. In every case, coaches had success but admins waited until the hole was so deep and obvious that it was too late for anything but a complete overhaul, fan interest and revenue were shot, etc. Sears was once a premier store too but didn’t evolve when things stagnated. And yes, if you look at objective outputs, this team is trending similarly to UW, UMN, etc. of recent years whether we want to believe it or not. UND has been so successful for so long that it feels like it’s just assumed they always will and these major warning signs can be ignored and somehow things will just return to normal. My fear is Berry isn’t making the adjustments necessary to right the ship and possibly not even owning the issues. Like a poor workplace culture, strong performers come in and proceed to actually regress over time instead of improving in attitude, consistency, and performance. This is on the leadership in my opinion and why I don’t think bringing in talent alone is going to solve it as some seem to think. UMN always had plenty of talent but Hakstol knew how to put everything together (O actually think he was a better GM mind than game coach). I certainly hope I’m wrong and am no coach, but I’ve led many teams and have seen these same signs many times in business and the red flags are all there. Now I’ve gotten to the point that I just leave games frustrated most nights instead of enjoying it. I was concerned when they hired internally with Berry instead of a nation wide search but ate crow after the NC year. I just hope they figure it out before it all falls apart and/or can make the hard decisions they need to to get back on top, because plenty of other teams are with far less. Maybe next year, right?? 

Hope everyone one has a great weekend!

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m not revelling in anything.  Just sick of some folks and the lectures about this season turning around at some point.  @Langster019 Old Yeller got bit by the rabid wolf at Canisius College...nobody should be surprised at having to put him down in a couple of weeks.  

Some here thought the Laydown Hawks were gonna go 7-1 or 6-2 in this last stretch?  This team might still find its way to a sub .500 season!

Finger’s been on the trigger for two weeks. Last night pretty much solidified it for me. No more suffering. Put the ‘ole boy down. LOL. 

I’m just glad the games I saw they went 2-2-1. And the losses were a 1 goal game in Denver and an OT loss at the Ralph. 

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

In all seriousness, our forwards used to be able to beat a guy to create space.  Their ineptitude is on full display on an Olympic sheet.  All that space...still can't create

The only player that attacked on the edge with all that space was Senden.  And later it set up a play where he set the d man up and tried to cut in but the puck rolled off his stick.

Adams and Tychonick showed off some stick handling ability together in one sequence, but then Casey Johnson got involved and that sequence died. 

I think the sad thing is we're used to the team building and building and building throughout the whole season.  I don't think any Bubba teams have steadily improved as the season went on the way Hak's teams did.  That 16 team was loaded and was just ready for the puck to drop...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The only player that attacked on the edge with all that space was Senden.  And later it set up a play where he set the d man up and tried to cut in but the puck rolled off his stick.

Adams and Tychonick showed off some stick handling ability together in one sequence, but then Casey Johnson got involved and that sequence died. 

saw that.  During both those sequences, I was looking for someone to get into a soft spot to get off a good shot and/or someone to drive the net...alas...no such luck

Absolutely no reason on an olympic sheet why you don't just crank the afterburners wide then dip your inside shoulder and drive the net- put a shot low far side for a rebound, weakside winger and center should be hell-bent to the blue paint to tap it in.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

Finger’s been on the trigger for two weeks. Last night pretty much solidified it for me. No more suffering. Put the ‘ole boy down. LOL. 

I’m just glad the games I saw they went 2-2-1. And the losses were a 1 goal game in Denver and an OT loss at the Ralph. 

Love the analogy; difference is I cried for Old Yeller

• Upvote 2

While there's potential that next year's forwards give this team a shot it needs, I'm hesitant to believe it. The same was said for Kawaguchi, Adams,  Mismash, Hoff, and Weatherby. Have we missed horribly on all those supposed performers, or is it a system that's stifling them. I could believe one or two, but I can't help but believe that at this point it's coaching, and that next year's talent will only add to fan frustration. 

I know we made the tournament the year after the championship, but remember we just barely made it. Without having an NHL star on that team, we're looking at not making the NCAA tournament since the absolutely loaded team of 16. That's a frightening thought that could be very well representative of the future. 

Edit for additional info: I can't believe this team is any less talented up front than the team of Pattyn, Parks, and Macmillan, or the 12 team lead by Lamoureux and Blood. 

14 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Edit for additional info: I can't believe this team is any less talented up front than the team of Pattyn, Parks, and Macmillan, or the 12 team lead by Lamoureux and Blood. 

You mean the 12 team with Brock Nelson, Carter Rowney, Danny Kristo, Rocco Grimaldi and Corban Knight? Yep, not much up front there.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty late in the season for that excuse.

I really like the development of Copeland, Yoon, Middendorf, and Cruikshank. It’s a cliche to say but true, at this point of the season, the freshmen are no longer freshmen. I think UND has some great freshmen too that will help lead the team-Bernard-Docker, Senden, Scheel, to name a few. 

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I really like the development of Copeland, Yoon, Middendorf, and Cruikshank. It’s a cliche to say but true, at this point of the season, the freshmen are no longer freshmen. I think UND has some great freshmen too that will help lead the team-Bernard-Docker, Senden, Scheel, to name a few. 

Those names sound made up.

3 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

You mean the 12 team with Brock Nelson, Carter Rowney, Danny Kristo, Rocco Grimaldi and Corban Knight? Yep, not much up front there.

And Kawaguchi, Adams,  Wilkie, Hoff, and Weatherby lit their leagues up in scoring. So, were they not that good to start with and only got lucky in juniors, or is their a problem with the development and the systems? I'm voting the latter based on what I've seen outside a team stacked full of NHL talent. 

Boeser looked better playing against NHL players than he did playing against college players his sophomore season. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Who have we missed on? I think this staffs philosophy is one thing that holds this team back, no way should three D men lead the team in shots.

In the last 3 years we’ve missed on tons of players.  I can tell because they go elsewhere.  

Side comment, my post had the worst grammar and auto corrects ever.  I could barely follow it :)

6 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I think the sad thing is we're used to the team building and building and building throughout the whole season.  I don't think any Bubba teams have steadily improved as the season went on the way Hak's teams did.  That 16 team was loaded and was just ready for the puck to drop...

Bingo 

2 hours ago, snova4 said:

And Kawaguchi, Adams,  Wilkie, Hoff, and Weatherby lit their leagues up in scoring. So, were they not that good to start with and only got lucky in juniors, or is their a problem with the development and the systems? I'm voting the latter based on what I've seen outside a team stacked full of NHL talent. 

Boeser looked better playing against NHL players than he did playing against college players his sophomore season. 

Boeser had a major wrist injury he was dealing with