SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Endows 15 faculty and provides for new graduate fellowships.  $10 million from the Challeys (ndsu alum), additional funding from the Koch bros and others.  $30 million total raised with a goal of $50 million.

The Koch Brothers giving is the most interesting.  Koch does not have a direct interest in ND to my knowledge, and their gifts often grease the skids so to speak, as Sanford gifts grease skids too.

Koch is heavily involved in petrol and chemicals.

I attended the program. It took place in Barry Hall. (Large donation from UND alumnus B John Barry). They mentioned initiative for their business program started after donation from UND Alumnus Tom Wold. Today’s donation to fund an initiative suggested by their Dean of Business College Scott. Beaulier then sold the idea to  Challey. Beaulier apparently had contacts with Koch foundation while at ASU. An NDSU Alumnus next to me mentioned Tom Wold also had a connection to the Koch foundation.  He also said they have raised most of their $35 million to build an indoor practice facility for FB.   Some of our wealthiest alumni have great respect for Beaulier. While we focused on a damn logo our rival focused on moving a college of business that wasn’t accredited to what we saw today.  Ideas I have suggested to Kennedy and to UND alumni officials were written down today by the President of a foundation that can be a difference maker for either or both schools and plans to follow up. I haven’t heard back from UND. We have a lot of work to do.  UND recently raised over $300,000,000.  That should have created momentum and excitement to create new programming and initiatives and a strategy to continue that momentum.  We have discussed a new college of business and we have talked about HPCII.  We need to have a plan in place with a timeline and goals to get this done in next 5 years. 

• Upvote 1

UND's been talking about a new business building for more than 10 years.  This needs to be a priority given that everyone that attends UND takes classes at Gamble.  Was really surprised when spirit campaign money wasn't allocated to it.

11 hours ago, nodak651 said:

UND's been talking about a new business building for more than 10 years.  This needs to be a priority given that everyone that attends UND takes classes at Gamble.  Was really surprised when spirit campaign money wasn't allocated to it.

Hard to believe gfhockey's buddies haven't written that check yet.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

UND recently raised over $300,000,000.  That should have created momentum and excitement to create new programming and initiatives and a strategy to continue that momentum.  We have discussed a new college of business and we have talked about HPCII.  We need to have a plan in place with a timeline and goals to get this done in next 5 years. 

I think there is a little creative accounting in that $300,000,000 number.  The marketing of the spirit campaign made it seem as though UND started at zero and then a couple years later had 300 million in the bank. I believe the REA gift which had already been completed was counted in that number, so approximately 110 million head start. It was still a very successful fund raising effort but maybe not quite as it seems.

4 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

I think there is a little creative accounting in that $300,000,000 number.  The marketing of the spirit campaign made it seem as though UND started at zero and then a couple years later had 300 million in the bank. I believe the REA gift which had already been completed was counted in that number, so approximately 110 million head start. It was still a very successful fund raising effort but maybe not quite as it seems.

I believe there were also future commitments included in the number, where individuals would tell UND they'll leave them money after they pass.

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Koch Brothers giving is the most interesting.  Koch does not have a direct interest in ND to my knowledge, and their gifts often grease the skids so to speak, as Sanford gifts grease skids too.

Koch is heavily involved in petrol and chemicals.

He buys a lot of ND crude for his refineries and they are heavily involved in the ethanol business so that’s maybe why they are supporting the ag university 

6 hours ago, Tangolou said:

I don’t believe that is correct. I will be visiting with one of the Co-chairs of the drive in a couple of weeks. I will ask him. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Yes please!

That doesn’t make sense. At the level of University President you need to be able to deal with controversy including difficult donors. In this case, if we are asking to renegotiate a signed contract, with all due respect politely make your case. (You don’t demand anything and it isn’t a pissing contest. Be patient and keep trying until you learn who you are dealing with, then form a strategy to solve the issue making sure both sides see the advantage a compromise solution. Whatever non-hockey revenue that may be the issue isn’t enough to destroy a relationship with a generous though difficult donor. 

• Upvote 3

It's also important to remember that the Englestads don't limit their power plays to UND Presidents.  Ralph was also instrumental in getting Terry Wanless replaced as AD.  That led to a couple of bad AD hirings that set the department back dramatically from the success of the late 90's.  Wanless was not even invited to the press conference when "The Ralph" was announced.  These kinds of tactics are very similar to the ones employed by KEM.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Sooo, if you had to step in and play "UND President" for a day, how would you deal with KEM....   

Don't think you're the smartest and coolest person in the room all the time...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Sooo, if you had to step in and play "UND President" for a day, how would you deal with KEM....   

I'd try really hard to mend some fences. There's no benefit to pissing her off. 

• Upvote 3

She has publicly stated it was her father who had the UND ties, she has none. Not sure I want our president kissing the feet of a donor who is power hungry and really justs hoping for a situation that allows her to cut ties with UND.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2