SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

K-12 school spending was doubled and human services (welfare programs) were tripled in the last 10 years. They now comprise around 65% of the state budget. 

Human services is primarily federal dollars.  should also cut spending to other welfare programs.

Ag & corporate welfare.  K-12 spending increased when we were flush with money and it was decided to use some of it to bring the state's level of support which was as at 1 time was the norm. Thinking in was 40%. At the same time the state provided money to reduce our property taxes,  Might have been one and the same.

6 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Human services is primarily federal dollars. 

Sure, but the $1.4 billion from the state's general fund is a lot of money. 

As for state spending on ag and corporate welfare, I don't disagree with you. It won't move the budget needle much though. 

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

President Kennedy and the State Board don't decide how the legacy fund is spent. If you want to blame the state legislature and the governor for prioritizing saving over immediate higher ed needs (without falling into politics), you're welcome to. 

I heard at the local watering hole that when we had the fighting sioux nickname, the money was rolling in from donors at such a high level, that state funding wasn't even needed for UND.  Now that they have that little postal dove logo, nobody is donating, it's no wonder they are having money issues. 

#SIOUXFOREVER!

;)

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sure, but the $1.4 billion from the state's general fund is a lot of money. 

As for state spending on ag and corporate welfare, I don't disagree with you. It won't move the budget needle much though. 

Understand ag & corporate are a small part of the states butget/was pointing out that human services is not the only program of so called "welfare'.  In human services the federal contribution to the states budget is hugh and in order to access this the state needs to match funds.   

4 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I heard at the local watering hole that when we had the fighting sioux nickname, the money was rolling in from donors at such a high level, that state funding wasn't even needed for UND.  Now that they have that little postal dove logo, nobody is donating, it's no wonder they are having money issues. 

#SIOUXFOREVER!

;)

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

#SIOUXFOREVER!

;)

that would be as unsurprising as it is disappointing

3 hours ago, Old Fella said:

Of course saving is a virtue/so is common sense.  Saving in excess of 3,000 million dollars seem to me a little excssive.  We now have 6,000 MILLION in savings.  With revenue fom the oil royalties and income investing the current 6,000million at 2% the fund will soon be 10,000 million.  How much should we save?  Not sure my opinion that Bismarrck lacked vision is political. Never said Kennedy or BHE made any decision how the fund was spent.  Said the board was inept.  (Correct me if I'm Wrong)  Question?  When is the last time the Board hired a Chancellor or President of UND & NDSU that hasn't ended in a disaster?

With volatile oil and farming,  they need to be extra careful. Our carelessness is what got us into trouble last year. 

This is from an article in September 

https://www.governor.nd.gov/news/burgum-preliminary-revenue-forecast-reaffirms-need-conservative-approach-2019-2021-budget

The state used roughly $800 million in reserve funds and transfers to balance the current general fund budget of $4.3 billion – a budget that had already been reduced by an unprecedented $1.7 billion from the previous biennium.

2 minutes ago, Kab said:

1.4 billion is about $1800 per person in the state

Seems crazy, but $1800 will get you what, maybe 1 month in an assisted living facility? And that $1.4 billion is for 2 years. A lot of the state's human services spending is for the elderly and for medical costs. 

24 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

The part about no money coming in was an actual statement I heard.  Not sure if they knew about how the state funding component of running a university.

If by no money coming in, you mean $41.6M (FY 2014), $48.3M (FY 2015), $33.4M (FY 2016), $40M (FY 2017) and $34.7M (FY2018) in new gifts,  pledges grants and bequests to the UND Foundation.  What were the totals the last five years that we had the Sioux name because I'm having a hard time locating those numbers?

https://undalumni.org/file/documents/financial/final_annual_report_on_giving.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

The part about no money coming in was an actual statement I heard.  Not sure if they knew about how the state funding component of running a university works.

When people drink all day they will say the darndest things.

• Upvote 2

On 3/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, Oxbow6 said:

But what about our "fixer" now in charge at UND? You can't tell me hasn't dealt what you are describing above prior to coming to UND. He's been a politician!

As a former politician he's used to being on the "demanding tribute" side of the equation, not the "being demanded of". 

He was a 'fixer' in corporate life; that applies when dealing with internal budgets. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

As a former politician he's used to being on the "demanding tribute" side of the equation, not the "being demanded of". 

He was a 'fixer' in corporate life; that applies when dealing with internal budgets. 

Oh........so he is not used to being put on notice! True leaders can't always be the hammer.

Carry on......

On 3/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, MrEdway said:

You don't have to kiss anyone's butt, but you don't have to be a complete asshat either. And I've seen nothing from Kennedy over the years to indicate he is nothing but a self centered asshat.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a big Kennedy fan on most things and I think the sooner he takes another job, the better. But UND has been getting screwed on the REA contract since it opened and that represents a violation of the original charter, which is a legal issue.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not a big Kennedy fan on most things and I think the sooner he takes another job, the better. But UND has been getting screwed on the REA contract since it opened and that represents a violation of the original charter, which is a legal issue.

What are you referring to?  What "original charter"?  The contract is a legal issue.  I think UND gave up to  much but UND must abide by the contract. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

What are you referring to?  What "original charter"?  The contract is a legal issue.  I think UND gave up to  much but UND must abide by the contract. 

REA gets Football revenue.  And recently has no say in how they want their official athletic logo displayed in the facilities where UND is their primary tenant.  Crappy deal.  And KEM throws a hissy fit and starts making threats when someone dares question to maybe renegotiate the deal or suggest the Hawks logo be displayed at center court.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

The arena was built to benefit UND as a whole. I would argue that isn't happening right now. The spirit of the contract is not being carried out. That is what I am getting at. And if KEM feels that it is a burden having to deal with REA and UND at all, perhaps we can negotiate an exit for her?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

REA gets Football revenue.  And recently has no say in how they want their official athletic logo displayed in the facilities where UND is their primary tenant.  Crappy deal.  And KEM throws a hissy fit and starts making threats when someone dares question to maybe renegotiate the deal or suggest the Hawks logo be displayed at center court.

When did that football revenue seizure start? I know it didn't start in 2001.

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I get all of that.  I would agree the contract gives up way too much.  No way should UND have agreed to put FB revenue outside of the athletic dept.  I don't know about "hissy fits" but from what I understand about the  contract,  we do not have the upper hand. 

22 hours ago, Old Fella said:

We now have 6,000 MILLION in savings.  

The budget in the Legislature being proposed by the Governor is $14.2 billion ($14,200 million) for two years. 

$6,000 million runs the State for 10 months.  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Seems crazy, but $1800 will get you what, maybe 1 month in an assisted living facility? 

I write a check for a parent (who's no longer capable) for $6775 each month for their living facility.
Then I write checks for medical insurance, prescription meds, and expenses of living. 

• Upvote 2