SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The arena was built to benefit UND as a whole. I would argue that isn't happening right now. The spirit of the contract is not being carried out. That is what I am getting at. And if KEM feels that it is a burden having to deal with REA and UND at all, perhaps we can negotiate an exit for her?

I am not sure how we would know what the "spirit of the contract"  is. The contract is also different from UND's Charter  I agree that the arena was built to benefit UND.  I was at the announcement ceremony and in the back room at Hyslop with UND officials, Ralph, and others after the announcement.   From everything I heard there, this was to benefit, not just UND hockey,  but UND athletics. Most of the work and planning involved Ralph and hockey people though.  The contract was likely recommended to Kupchella by Tom Clifford and Earl Strinden,  who did the key work with Ralph on behalf of UND over the years of planning and building.  There is no reason to be disrespectful of the opinions and work of KEM.  She is abiding by the contract.  UND needs to be respectful in the efforts to tweak the contract.  It isn't her fault if we negotiated FB moneys to the REA.  It seems she has inherited her Dad's impatience with politicians and administrators.  I do not know timing of the issue with FB monies.  I do feel that the REA needs to move past the logo issue.  We have a new one.  Who cares?  It hurts UND and UND hockey to continue all of the negative publicity, negative energy and arguing  over a logo or mascot.  No one cared about the name and logo for years and it never won or lost us any games. The only logo worth.  I doubt the logo is part of the contract  It was never a requirement in the contract for the Arena in the first place, despite what some believe.  Although I disagree with a donor refusing to work with UND unless the President is replaced, I think Kennedy handled the issue poorly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Although I disagree with a donor refusing to work with UND unless the President is replaced, I think Kennedy handled the issue poorly.

Lots and lots of egos leading to misadventures all around. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If Kennedy went to McGarry and said you can have any single thing under my power at UND changed, at your whim, aside from my removal, I wonder what she'd choose. 

Her answer would be so telling. 

If by her answer "anything but THIS horrible nickname and logo".......she'd be in the majority of UND donors and supporters.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If by her answer "anything but THIS horrible nickname and logo".......she'd be in the majority of UND donors and supporters.

Since that's outside Kennedy's power, I guess that would be a non-starter.   EDIT: I stand corrected.  Changing it back is the non-starter.  

2 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Since that's outside Kennedy's power, I guess that would be a non-starter.   EDIT: I stand corrected.  Changing it back is the non-starter.  

I agree.......it was just playing into Sic's hypothetical.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Kennedy wanted to renegotiate the contract to look at the amount of revenue UND gets.  (The contract that is supposed to get negotiated every year....but hasn't been until Kennedy did).  Also wanted the new Fighting Hawks logo at midcourt of the to be newly painted Betty floor upon the request of every coach whose teams played there and KEM didn't even think twice and said no.  then she went to the Herald and complained about Kennedy.  

I would call that a hissy fit.  She came of as basically saying "How dare this man even question anything this Foundation and the REA is doing.  Doesn't he know who I am and who my father was?"  The very definiting on entitlement.  And now she wants Kennedy fired.....or else!!!  So sick of her.

That is a lot of assumption.  Maybe you are correct.  I wasn't there.  I don't know how often the contract is to be renewed.  I hadn't heard that.  Where did you hear that?  The Logo issue is so stupid I don't want to argue.  Who cares if there is a logo at center court or where it is.  It is on the floor at the Betty.  Getting upset about that is just as pointless as the people who are hanging on to the Fighting Sioux issue.  Either way it is negative and doesn't help UND.

I am not sure who is at fault with Kennedy vs McGarry.  Kennedy also has issues with the family of Ray Richards.  Sometimes University Presidents need to know when to back off and come back later with a different approach..  The issue now seems to be the bridges were burned.  Doesn't matter who started the fire.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Most donors and supporters don't care that much.  If you are referring to hockey donors and supporter you are probably correct,  although she has previously stated the logo is a  non-issue for her.  Doesn't matter where in the arenas they put the logos.  We need to focus on success of the programs. The logo issue was settled by the NCAA a long time ago.  I think she is smart enough to realize that.

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

$3.7 billion

Have not done a good job of setting forth my point.  It is, when will we and what is the criteria to access the Fund.  I believed in 2017,  (still do) when we were led to believe there was a fund shortage that the Fund should be used to minimize the impact. As a sideline it would have had minimum impact on the fund.  Thought education was worthy of this consideration.  Other's did not.  Today Bismarck is debating if the should tap the fund for the old age failure theory  'build it and they will come' scam.

If they want to use that scam why not honor our current president and build a musium in Eastern ND. Would not have worry about visitors as we have a built in clientel, not only in North Dakota but throught the US.

Still think education is a better inverstment.

KEM aside...

Kennedy has probably done some good things but seems oblivious to much other things.

It would be in SBoHE interest to publicly rave about him, privatley encourage him to actively seek another position. And laud him on the way out.

Best for everybody, and if KEM really wants this I would suggest ZERO more public commentary and use only back channels.

Others dont want tainted meat, lets throw the guy abticker tape goodbye parade and pay some mourners to wail in the lement of his moving on.

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I'm going to pull my inner SiouxVolley theory out of nowhere so bare with me.

So KEM is mad because Kennedy is getting money from Denny Sanford to build something like, Phase II of the HPC. 

Like many SV theories, it'd be nice if it was true. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

So KEM is mad because Kennedy is getting money from Denny Sanford to build something like, Phase II of the HPC. 

I wish it was that good. Let me pull my inner SiouxVolley theory out of nowhere so bare with me. 
So Rob Port (Click Bait expert with UND & NDSU rants) energized  KEM"s late winter dislike for P Kennedy and now will not contribute the $4M promised towards to The Ralph scoreboard.

54 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

KEM aside...

Kennedy has probably done some good things but seems oblivious to much other things.

It would be in SBoHE interest to publicly rave about him, privatley encourage him to actively seek another position. And laud him on the way out.

Best for everybody, and if KEM really wants this I would suggest ZERO more public commentary and use only back channels.

Others dont want tainted meat, lets throw the guy abticker tape goodbye parade and pay some mourners to wail in the lement of his moving on.

Now here's a strategy I can get behind.

45 minutes ago, cberkas said:

tenor (2).gif

All I know is I'm jealous of everyone else's Sanford money.  Is a UND relationship with Sanford in the cards or is that just not feasible with Altru so close to campus?   Either way, if Kennedy is interested in pissing even more people off, he should look into it.  We need phase two money and I just don't see where it is going to come from.  If they don't have an announcement by this time next year, I see it going the way of Chaves' Gateway project at EWU and phase II of the arena renovation at SCSU.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

All I know is I'm jealous of everyone else's Sanford money.  Is a UND relationship with Sanford in the cards or is that just not feasible with Altru so close to campus?   Either way, if Kennedy is interested in pissing even more people off, he should look into it.  We need phase two money and I just don't see where it is going to come from.  If they don't have an announcement by this time next year, I see it going the way of Chaves' Gateway project at EWU and phase II of the arena renovation at SCSU.

Don't be too jealous compared to NDSU. While it's true that Sanford Health donated $10M for the BSA renovation, Altru Health donated $9M to UND for HPF. On the other hand, Sanford Health donated over $20M to SDSU($10M for the football stadium, $10M for their IPF, and a good sized chunk of the $6M Dykhouse Center). They also donated $20M to USD for their athletic facilities complex(but not the Dakota Dome remodel, I believe.) 

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

You are not thinking big enough for a SV theory.  A business school, a new stadium and finishing the HPC will be donated.  KEM won't be the Big dog anymore and that maddens her little mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You are not thinking big enough for a SV theory.  A business school, a new stadium and finishing the HPC will be donated.  KEM won't be the Big dog anymore and that maddens her little mind.

"Go big or go home." -- SiouxVolley (c) 2019 

:D 

5 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Don't be too jealous compared to NDSU. While it's true that Sanford Health donated $10M for the BSA renovation, Altru Health donated $9M to UND for HPF. 

Just to add on to that, Altru's donation was $10M in total, but $1M went to the turf replacement project at the Alerus Center.