SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

On 3/7/2019 at 8:52 PM, nodak651 said:

UND's been talking about a new business building for more than 10 years.  This needs to be a priority given that everyone that attends UND takes classes at Gamble.  Was really surprised when spirit campaign money wasn't allocated to it.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4583296-und-asks-state-match-20-million-business-school

DeAnna Carlson-Zink, CEO of the UND Alumni Association and Foundation, said an anonymous donor and his wife have committed $20 million to the project if the state matches an additional $20 million.

The Legislature and State Board of Higher Education already have approved plans to raise as much as $70 million for the project. The additional $30 million would come from donors, and the building would become a part of the quad on UND's campus.

Need the legislature to step up and fulfill Burgum's original request for matching funds. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't think Burgum ever recommended matching funds for Gamble. 

Not specifically but I was referencing this:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/4582630-letter-challenge-grant-invests-north-dakotas-future

While we, as heads of the foundations that raise money on behalf of the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State University, appreciate and thank the representatives for their support of the program, we respectfully ask lawmakers to strongly consider funding the Challenge Fund grant program at the level proposed by Gov. Burgum in December. Gov. Burgum proposed $40 million for the program, which in turn would bring about $80 million in charitable gift support from the alumni and friends of our higher education institutions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The state built UND. They also paid for the new med school. They should also help pay for new buildings on campus, especially when its matching funds.

Gamble Hall, while cosmetically and spatially deficient, is still in pretty good shape by state standards. They're not likely going to pay to replace a safe, usable building.... outside of Fargo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Gamble Hall, while cosmetically and spatially deficient, is still in pretty good shape by state standards. They're not likely going to pay to replace a safe, usable building.... outside of Fargo. 

Was just in Gamble a couple months ago. Was way nicer than when I took classes in there thirt.........I mean nine years ago.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Was just in Gamble a couple months ago. Was way nicer than when I took classes in there thirt.........I mean nine years ago.

It had a decent amount of work done on it around 10-12 years ago I believe.

Gamble Hall is a dump compared to Barry Hall. UND needs to regain supremacy over the ndac with regard to business school facilities. But I don't think we can expect the state to help much in that fight. 

30 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It had a decent amount of work done on it around 10-12 years ago I believe.

Gamble Hall is a dump compared to Barry Hall. UND needs to regain supremacy over the ndac with regard to business school facilities. But I don't think we can expect the state to help much in that fight. 

I don't know what exactly und can do with their business school to make it any better than Barry Hall. Barry is a very nice place for classes. 

5 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I don't know what exactly und can do with their business school to make it any better than Barry Hall. Barry is a very nice place for classes. 

Just gotta go bigger and shinier.... with a stock ticker running along every wall ;)

Wichita State’s former President just died.  I post his obituary, because it lists the three must have components of a University apresident:  academic experience, social consciousness, and businesss acumen.  Kennedy seems deficient on academic experience and personal social consciousness.  All of UND Presidents seemed to be badly lacking in at least one of those areas ever since Clifford.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/news-local-obituaries/article227455574.html

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wichita State’s former President just died.  I post his obituary, because it lists the three must have components of a University apresident:  academic experience, social consciousness, and businesss acumen.  Kennedy seems deficient on academic experience and personal social consciousness.  All of UND Presidents seemed to be badly lacking in at least one of those areas ever since Clifford.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/news-local-obituaries/article227455574.html

How is academic experience measured? It's not like we are Kennedy's first higher education job. 

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

How is academic experience measured? It's not like we are Kennedy's first higher education job. 

According to the liberal arts professors, he’s failed.  Would get a different answer from STEM and business professors.  And a different one from Aerospace.

17 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

President Kennedy has done much of the relationship building and heavy lifting with this potential donor couple, as well as the others that are alluded to in the link below. 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2019/03/couple-pledges-20m-to-college-of-business-public-administration-upon-state-match/

But I was told all donors hate him :silly:

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

But I was told all donors hate him :silly:

It is the narrative that his detractors are trying to make stick. Not a perfect president by any stretch..... but there are many out there, who are not part of the old cabals that appreciate how he's transforming campus, the student experience and research for the future. Many that you hear complain are the ones that were content with the status quo of the old days and reluctant to change with the shifting paradigms of higher ed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It is the narrative that his detractors are trying to make stick. Not a perfect president by any stretch..... but there are many out there, who are not part of the old cabals that appreciate how he's transforming campus, the student experience and research for the future. Many that you hear complain are the ones that were content with the status quo of the old days and reluctant to change with the shifting paradigms of higher ed.

Good to hear. Hopefully these announced gifts can help reshape the narrative to regain the faith of the typical 3-5 figure donor, which I think has been hurt by Mcgarry and the Herald. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Good to hear. Hopefully these announced gifts can help reshape the narrative to regain the faith of the typical 3-5 figure donor, which I think has been hurt by Mcgarry and the Herald. 

Very true. that is a good point.