Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I know, I know. I just think it's very funny for some of us to want Motzko at the same time we are complaining about Bubbs' successes. Motz's overall resume isn't exactly marked with post season success.

I don't know that anyone is asking for Motzko.  It's just that Minnesota stock is on the rise and North Dakota stock is on the decline.  UND has been one step forward and two steps back under Berry.  Every single year on Motzko Minnesota has gotten stronger and stronger...no steps back so far.  We are the University of North Dakota and we are playing a road series in freakin' Omaha for the conference tourney.  How in any way, shape, or form does Omaha have a better team than UND?

Imagine if the SEC had a conference football tourney and Alabama had to go on the road against Vanderbilt after having basically no post season success for seven years.  Think they'd be ready to fire Saban?  LSU only waited two years to fire Ed Orgeron after he won a title due to poor performance.  It's been seven years since our championship and little in the pipeline to create a team anywhere near that level.  

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

LSU only waited two years to fire Ed Orgeron after he won a title due to poor performance.

There was a lot more to it than on the field performance...
And they had boosters willing to put their money where their mouth was. To the tune of almost $18 million.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big A HG said:

I don't know that anyone is asking for Motzko.  It's just that Minnesota stock is on the rise and North Dakota stock is on the decline.  UND has been one step forward and two steps back under Berry.  Every single year on Motzko Minnesota has gotten stronger and stronger...no steps back so far.  We are the University of North Dakota and we are playing a road series in freakin' Omaha for the conference tourney.  How in any way, shape, or form does Omaha have a better team than UND?

Imagine if the SEC had a conference football tourney and Alabama had to go on the road against Vanderbilt after having basically no post season success for seven years.  Think they'd be ready to fire Saban?  LSU only waited two years to fire Ed Orgeron after he won a title due to poor performance.  It's been seven years since our championship and little in the pipeline to create a team anywhere near that level.  

I wasn't saying specifically Motzko. He's clearly not going anywhere. It was a comparison to the anger towards Bubbs' who has yes, won a national championship, and has very similar career results as Motzko, but the fact that he's always been known as a coach that has never gotten it done. 

Motz's team currently is clearly moving in the right direction. Did the same at St. Cloud. But, if the dude keeps putting up steady results, keeps getting good recruits, BUT fails to win the big one in a one-and-done tourney (paging Dave Hakstol), when does that cut bait conversation happen? I was drawing a parallel because it's interesting, to me, to see this happening.

I'm not sitting here saying that I don't want Minnesota's pipeline. A LOT of those guys, I'd love to see in Kelly Green. With that said, ours is really, really good and yes, it has the makings to be at that level. You don't have to agree with it, that's fine. I just really like what I've seen. My comment was just to pick at the idea that Motzko, who has gotten his programs to a top level, but not won the big one, is getting all the roses.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

But, if the dude keeps putting up steady results, keeps getting good recruits, BUT fails to win the big one in a one-and-done tourney (paging Dave Hakstol), when does that cut bait conversation happen? I was drawing a parallel because it's interesting, to me, to see this happening.

CFP is also "one and done". Does that mean Saban would get an indefinitely long leash if Alabama went 4 to 5 years without a CFP title? I think we both know the answer to that question.

Out fan base b!tches about the tournament format more than all the other fan bases put together. It's become an all-purpose alibi for our lack of national success recently. Like it or not, NCAA titles are what people remember. And it has been the standard around here since the 1980's. And I definitely don't want to relive the early 1990's ever again; that was a very dark period for this program.

19 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

CFP is also "one and done". Does that mean Saban would get an indefinitely long leash if Alabama went 4 to 5 years without a CFP title? I think we both know the answer to that question.

Out fan base b!tches about the tournament format more than all the other fan bases put together. It's become an all-purpose alibi for our lack of national success recently. Like it or not, NCAA titles are what people remember. And it has been the standard around here since the 1980's. And I definitely don't want to relive the early 1990's ever again; that was a very dark period for this program.

That's my point of why I think it's funny Motz's name is being brought up. It's really that simple. 

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I know, I know. I just think it's very funny for some of us to want Motzko at the same time we are complaining about Bubbs' successes. Motz's overall resume isn't exactly marked with post season success.

He was at cloud 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He was at cloud 

Fair point. Still didn't win one. 

He's at Minny now and still hasn't won one. 

Until he's done it, it's still an interesting comparison to me. 

This wasn't intended to be super controversial lol. 

32 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fair point. Still didn't win one. 

He's at Minny now and still hasn't won one. 

Until he's done it, it's still an interesting comparison to me. 

This wasn't intended to be super controversial lol. 

Win or not…their pipeline is so heavy. Going to be fun to be a gopher fan for a while 

49 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Would UND fans be so wishy washy on Berry if they had made the Frozen Four in the tourney that got cancelled? Wasn't UND primed to make a run?

Wouldn't know because it didn't happen. What we do know is he hasn't done anything in the National Tournament since 2016 and thats all we can go off of.

21 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

I wouldn’t trade Brad Berry today for any current head coach coach in D1 college hockey. If you would, who would be your guy? 

Not sure who my guy would be but I feel changes need to be made going forward - If Berry can't or won't make them then it will be time to move on.  Hopefully there will be some serious staff discussions about this year in the off season.   My major concern is that  we seem to be getting the reputation among high end recruits that our system will inhibit their growth - especially scorers.  This feels like it has some truth to it.  This could spell disaster long term.  We can't just sit and watch our rivals pull in Blue Chippers year after year.  Player development is a concern - case in point is this year's team.  Remember when high end talent wanted to come here because we would get them NHL ready (Parise for example).  The lack of tournament success is a problem.  It has been pointed out correctly that Berry and Co. have much more knowledge about hockey than this board - very true.  But the flip side of this is that very knowledgeable coaches can become enamored with their systems and not willing to change.  I hope that is not the case here.  Next year will be very telling.  And any great coach in a top program should be able to recruit good young goalies and develop them.  We will be relying on a portal goalie next year for the third year in a row.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Kind of (not) funny that two of the losses in the NCAA tournament have lead to direct changes in NCAA hockey rules:

• 2017: 2OT loss to Boston. With the new puck possession rule negating offsides, UND would have won that game in the first overtime. Instead a blurry picture was deemed good enough to call offsides. (Not) fun fact: UND had a 59-29 SOG advantage, a 145-67 shot advantage and Boston didn't even have a shot on goal the first overtime.
  • 2021: 5OT loss to Duluth. Michigan decides to ignore Covid protocols and ends up giving Duluth a bye, while UND plays a game the previous night and then runs out of gas in the longest college hockey game by almost a full period. Regionals now have a set off day in-between to help negate any advantage.

Well said.

While not relevant to the discussion, that 2OT loss to BU also contained one of the more memorable checks in recent Sioux history. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dustnyou said:

I wouldn’t trade Brad Berry today for any current head coach coach in D1 college hockey. If you would, who would be your guy? 

My list would have one probably and three maybe names: DU; WMU, MSU-M, SCSU.