Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

25 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

The quotes seem to suggest a parallel between Tony Granato and Brad Berry. 

• Granato at UW, 7 seasons: 105-129-16 (.452), 1 regular season championship, 0 NCAA tournament wins
  • Berry at UND: 8 seasons, 178-90-31 (.647), 4 regular season championships, 5 NCAA tournament wins, 1 NCAA championship

I'm not seeing the parallel. 

Berry may or may not be the right guy to lead UND hockey, but the anti-Berry crowd will need to do better than comparing him to Tony Granato.

Yeah whether you are a Berry supporter or not, it's pretty hard to compare those two coaching resumes.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

• Granato at UW, 7 seasons: 105-129-16 (.452), 1 regular season championship, 0 NCAA tournament wins
  • Berry at UND: 8 seasons, 178-90-31 (.647), 4 regular season championships, 5 NCAA tournament wins, 1 NCAA championship

Berry may or may not be the right guy to lead UND hockey, but the anti-Berry crowd will need to do better than comparing him to Tony Granato.

In no way "parralleled" him to Berry.

At all, in fact anything inferred could be.... 

"There's no way in hell I'd swap Berry for Granato" 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

In no way "parralleled" him to Berry.

At all, in fact anything inferred could be.... 

"There's no way in hell I'd swap Berry for Granato" 

Ah, I misread what you wrote. My bad, sorry about that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

Never was comparing him to Berry. As a matter of fact, I've never been one to say that Berry should be released. 

17 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Never was comparing him to Berry. As a matter of fact, I've never been one to say that Berry should be released. 

Apparently I was in an ornery mood when I read the thread earlier and saw something that wasn't there. My bad. In my defense, this is the "Time to Boo Berry?" thread.

31 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Apparently I was in an ornery mood when I read the thread earlier and saw something that wasn't there. My bad. In my defense, this is the "Time to Boo Berry?" thread.

After I posted it I said “sh>^, wrong thread”

i am unsure how it gets transferred elsewhere too…

I hear a lot about good Berry is because he wins regular season championships.  Don Lucia won six straight regular season conference championships from 2012 through 2017.   He finished the following 2018 season fifth in the conference and Minnesota fires him.  Bob Motzko gets brought in, cleans house, goes through a rebuild, and though they haven't done much more than Don Lucia did yet, the program has gotten better every season and is on an upward trajectory having won their second straight conference title and coming off a Frozen Four appearance last year.  You could see the program wasn't growing anymore with Lucia.  It was very stagnant and competition around them was clearly getting stronger.  They were able to win games in the regular season, but when tourney time came, no one considered them a threat...and they lived up to it.  See any resemblance?

Is our head coaching standard at UND "be like Don Lucia", or should we ask for more?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big A HG said:

I hear a lot about good Berry is because he wins regular season championships.  Don Lucia won six straight regular season conference championships from 2012 through 2017.   He finished the following 2018 season fifth in the conference and Minnesota fires him.  Bob Motzko gets brought in, cleans house, goes through a rebuild, and though they haven't done much more than Don Lucia did yet, the program has gotten better every season and is on an upward trajectory having won their second straight conference title and coming off a Frozen Four appearance last year.  You could see the program wasn't growing anymore with Lucia.  It was very stagnant and competition around them was clearly getting stronger.  They were able to win games in the regular season, but when tourney time came, no one considered them a threat...and they lived up to it.  See any resemblance?

Is our head coaching standard at UND "be like Don Lucia", or should we ask for more?

I agree with your analysis & summation.   But I do recall seeing smelly golfers in Philadelphia circa 2014....  maybe I imagined it...  but  .06 brings back ptsd...

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I used to joke that Dave Hakstol was our Doug Woog. :D

Holy crap, is Brad Berry our Don Lucia? :blink:

Oh boy…Bubs seems like an awesome guy. I sure hope not. In looking at the forest through the trees…it’s definitely not all positive. Since the chip they have won a good deal of conference titles, but really haven’t done much during NCAAs

On the flip side…motzco is going to bring back at least two first rounders to play another year…because they like playing there so much.

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

On the flip side…motzco is going to bring back at least two first rounders to play another year…because they like playing there so much.

I would guess there's a good chance Cooley and Knies will be gone, but I could see Snuggerud going back for another year.
Similar to us, they'll lose a good chunk of their d-corps next season too.  LaComb, Faber, Johnson will be gone.

23 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I would guess there's a good chance Cooley and Knies will be gone, but I could see Snuggerud going back for another year.
Similar to us, they'll lose a good chunk of their d-corps next season too.  LaComb, Faber, Johnson will be gone.

Cooley, most likely, will not be gone. Snuggerud will be back.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He's only won back-to-back conference titles ;)

:)…in all seriousness his pipeline and his ability to bring players back is really impressive. Goofs will have a great chance to win i this year…as well as next. 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

:)…in all seriousness his pipeline and his ability to bring players back is really impressive. Goofs will have a great chance to win i this year…as well as next. 

I know, I know. I just think it's very funny for some of us to want Motzko at the same time we are complaining about Bubbs' successes. Motz's overall resume isn't exactly marked with post season success.