Time to Boo Berry?

Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

If I'm misremembering this, please correct me. The first year Berry missed the playoffs, the rhetoric from the media was every run has to come to an end. Just won a National Championship, the program had just made 16 straight tournament appearances. What was the spin the second year? Why I use the word spin, is I'm already seeing a lot of, just won three straight regular season titles being used as a crutch to follow this year's disaster. Schlossman is as good as it gets, but we also know he's not going to ask the hard questions. We also know the radio / tv guys will not either. Berry does not have to worry about the media. I've tuned out Berry, because I find his interviews to be a whole lot of nothing and that just adds to the frustration. 

My question though, is does anyone recall any type of interview that Berry gave after the previous two times his teams missed the playoffs where he gave any sort of "we need to figure out what's not working" type of statement? "We need to get better at this position" type of deal? What I've always liked about Bubba (Football Coach) and his interviews is he's very transparent. It feels to me anyway that he's on the same page as the fan. He doesn't call out anyone individually, but he says what everyone else already knows. "We need to improve in these areas". I've never gotten that feeling from Berry. I would feel better if I felt Berry "got it". I'm not sure he does though. 

• Upvote 4

UND hockey has had 1 losing season since the 93-94 season. (2001-2002).  They are getting dangerously close to doing that again.   If this team doesn't get 7 more wins, it will be the 4th time in that same timespan that the team doesn't get to 20 wins on the season.  3 of those times will be under Berry in the past 6 seasons.  Sure he won a ?NAtty and 3 Penrose Cups, but the problem is the inconsistency.  And that is a problem.  And it needs to be addressed.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND hockey has had 1 losing season since the 93-94 season. (2001-2002).  They are getting dangerously close to doing that again.   If this team doesn't get 7 more wins, it will be the 4th time in that same timespan that the team doesn't get to 20 wins on the season.  3 of those times will be under Berry in the past 6 seasons.  Sure he won a ?NAtty and 3 Penrose Cups, but the problem is the inconsistency.  And that is a problem.  And it needs to be addressed.  

It certainly does need to be addressed - problem is do you see anyone in the coaching staff with the willingness and awareness to address this - we aren't privy to the coaching discussions but certainly not much has changed this season.  And hoping the AD's office will address anything is futile.  They think a 5-6 Bubba did such a good job they extended him before his contract is up.  AJS points out the problem very well.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish said:

It certainly does need to be addressed - problem is do you see anyone in the coaching staff with the willingness and awareness to address this - we aren't privy to the coaching discussions but certainly not much has changed this season.  And hoping the AD's office will address anything is futile.  They think a 5-6 Bubba did such a good job they extended him before his contract is up.  AJS points out the problem very well.  

Is it possible that one of the assistant coaches loses his job and becomes the scapegoat for the seasons failures?  

1 Ncaa win since he won the championship, losing destination games with lots of fan support, top five recruiting class this year and brings most of the D back from last year and he is 6-7 in the league, 21-22 pairwise and will be on the road for the first round on the NCHA playoffs and will probably miss the NCAA’s. I think if you look at his overall body of work does he belong in this position? His teams except for his first year have played worse at the end of the year when it counts. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

1 Ncaa win since he won the championship, losing destination games with lots of fan support, top five recruiting class this year and brings most of the D back from last year and he is 6-7 in the league, 21-22 pairwise and will be on the road for the first round on the NCHA playoffs and will probably miss the NCAA’s. I think if you look at his overall body of work does he belong in this position? His teams except for his first year have played worse at the end of the year when it counts. 

I honestly never thought the program would ever devolve like this under Berry.

20 hours ago, Snake said:
On 2/20/2023 at 11:19 PM, Cratter said:

You win by buying talent.

I would like to think it’s not as much about “buying” the talent but providing them with a clear understanding that they will be “coached up” and develop during their time here. 

It’s both, first they want proven tools to reach the NHL. Second they want a living income 

It’s not so much directly buying talent in UND’s case for obvious reasons  

Instead follow the lead of other programs where local businesses pay market price to advertise on the player’s social media.

The player of course should consult with an nil firm, CPA, and school about taxes and scholarships, the things other schools facilitate 

Not complicated but attracts the the best recruits, and can help some of the best current players afford to stay another year.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:49 PM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Norte dame last year , penn state and this year Arizona  team laid an egg when they should have been ready , this whole season it’s just been out of sync and nothing gets changed just wash, rinse and repeat. 

We lost a 2-1 OT game to Notre Dame with our best player injured. If Sanderson is in that game, I am guessing we actually get a power play goal and end up getting to the 2nd round. Maybe we get bumped by Mankato but maybe we wouldn't have because our Defense and goaltending were very good near the end ofthe year last year. Sanderson provided the extra offensive bump from the back end that we were missing at the Frozen Faceoff (we also didn't have Kleven that game) and at the Regional. Not fully letting Berry off the hook because this season has been mindblowing in many ways. It seems like it's a combination of player gaffes and coaching gaffes but something has to get fixed for sure. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:56 PM, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

Is it possible that one of the assistant coaches loses his job and becomes the scapegoat for the seasons failures?  

They should. Matt Shaw was not re-upped (basically given the door) when his PP and defensive units were not doing well.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

But, our special teams have been pretty phenomenal this season, so, that wouldn't make sense.

I'm just saying that Matt Shaw was given the door very quickly while all current staff members are given a longer leash. I know Karl has our PP at the top this year but 5x5 stinks as does goaltending and quite possibly recruiting. Why do they get pass when Shaw never did? I am not saying that Shaw shouldn't have been let go, what I am saying is that something is wrong with our current staff that needs to be addressed because we are going to miss the NCAA again.

• Upvote 3

We talk about how just a few games here or there and we would be sitting within the pairwise bubble, but we are calling for someone's head based on possibly one position that has underperformed this year. 

Yes, the defense hasn't been good, but if we got the goaltending that others have received, I have a feeling we would be uncomfortable as a bubble team, but confident that we could/would get in.  Yes, they may have missed on bringing in the right goaltender, but I think a lot of us were comfortable with them bringing DeRidder in, it just hasn't worked out the way we all thought it would, including coaches.  

Goaltending is a hard position to figure out, as there have been several big name transfers that haven't worked out for the schools that brought them in.  I think Wisconsin has had a few misses in that regard. 

Maybe we need to look at bringing in guys like Denver does that have a winning past, but sometimes those teams that win, do so because they are structured so well that the goalie can look better.  At the other end of the spectrum, maybe guys like DeRidder put up decent numbers because Michigan State had so many shots against them, but since they weren't ever in contention the microscope wasn't on the goaltending and hence there wasn't much pressure.  Coming to North Dakota is a complete 180 pressure wise.  Without blaming it all on DeRidder, the coaches do need to do a better job of figuring out which guy is going to fit in and be able to handle that pressure. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I’ve seen enough of Berry in seven seasons time for a fresh face/approach. He had a preseason top ten team and worked it into a no home ice no ncaa team again , since 2002 we have been on the road twice for the league first round both under BB. 

1 NCAA post-season W in 6, soon to be going on 7 seasons.  Against a team that I’d have to google to remember where they’re from.  

• Like 1