Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

14 hours ago, GDPritch said:

But now half the time we don’t even make the NCAA tourney so no shot at all at winning a natty. We always had that chance under previous coach while current coach only won the natty when handed the keys to a Cadillac.  

Yet other coaches with “keys to a Cadillac “ failed to win a National Championship. All 3 of our most recent coaches failed to win a Championship when UND had arguably the best team in the country in given years.  That is because it’s hockey, which I believe by nature of the game, makes it difficult to win a championship even with the best team or an outstanding coach. The other issue that applies to all of sports is that the players play the game and once the puck drops that is the most important factor. 

16 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Denver and Duluth have each won two NCAA titles since we hung #8. If Denver wins it this year (a distinct possibility), it would mark their third title in six years (not counting the non-tournament 2020 COVID year). That's a .500 batting average for those keeping score at home. Yet I am told UND cannot expect to win NCAA titles because of any number of reasons (parity, lucky bounces, one-and-done format). The idea that UND is incapable of having that kind of success is ludicrous.

I think it’s pretty clear that the Ralph and the facilities are becoming less of the deciding factor for a lot of guys. Denver is appealing for obvious reasons. Every young person wants to be in Colorado. The experience on UND campus needs to change with the times, but I know very little of the current campus culture and atmosphere. My thoughts anyways.

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha feels like it, sometimes. It's so much circular talk, man. We all recognize this year is FUBAR. But at what point do we realize we're not honestly that far off from being where we want to be? If next year ends the way this year likely ends, I'd much more understand the incredible amount of angst. I honestly feel there's a large lack of perspective on the overall standing of the program. 

I can't in my right mind send the team to the hoards of the internet when I look at our current young pieces along with the pipeline we've built for the next handful of years. 

Defense could be even more FUBAR than this year. We could see scores of 5-4 and 5-5 on a nightly basis…

4 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Defense could be even more FUBAR than this year. We could see scores of 5-4 and 5-5 on a nightly basis…

I'm hopeful by the end of the season that the kids that will be coming will be ready to rock. Need Mr. Frisch back very, very badly.

10 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

I think it’s pretty clear that the Ralph and the facilities are becoming less of the deciding factor for a lot of guys. Denver is appealing for obvious reasons. Every young person wants to be in Colorado. The experience on UND campus needs to change with the times, but I know very little of the current campus culture and atmosphere. My thoughts anyways.

You are spot on, the Ralph is no longer the recruiting tool it used to be. A lot of programs are reinvesting into their hockey programs and building new facilities.

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Soooo…time to implode the Ralph and build a new $200 million arena?  @Oxbow6 and @Wilbur both have their checkbooks ready!

He's not saying that. More and more hockey programs are investing in their facilities and the Ralph is great but there are other options now. The attendance this year hasn't been great. Lots of empty seats the other week when SCSU was in town, can't be a good look for incoming recruits. I get it, UND always has the highest "attendance" but there are plenty of empty seats night in and out. 

45 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Soooo…time to implode the Ralph and build a new $200 million arena?  @Oxbow6 and @Wilbur both have their checkbooks ready!

Ha no its not time to implode it but its not like it used to be. I am not saying its not a good recruiting tool or that its not nice any longer but other schools are stepping up.

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

In the past 20 years, Denver, Boston College and Duluth have won 3 titles each (and Duluth was not far from winning 3 in a row). In times where they say "parity" is too much and you can't win a title every few years is just wrong. How are these three programs doing it? Heck, UMass was in back-to-back title games and Quinnipiac was in the title game twice in four years. So don't tell me programs aren't winning titles every few years when in reality there are programs that are. In the time span from 2000-2015 we were in the FF 9 times and since then, we have only been there once. I don't expect UND to win a National Championships every year or every other year but I do expect them to make the NCAA and win more than one game, that is not an unreasonable expectation.

You're making my point. Schools can do it for a short period of time. But no one is consistently doing it almost every year like it is expected here. There are going to be lulls over time. And even when schools are at "high" it is still a coinflip in single-elimination games.

In those same 20 years:
Denver: Missed the tournament in consecutive years twice: 2006/2007 and 2021
Boston College: Missed the tournament in 2009 and then 2017, 2018 and 2019
Duluth: Missed 2005-2008, 2010, 2013-2014
North Dakota: Missed 2018 and 2019

So over the last 20 years, UND has been in the tournament as much or more than all 3 of your examples, even if they miss it this year.

Just for fun:
UMass has made a whopping 4 tourney appearances in the last 20 years. They have managed to have a nice little couple year run and now have a worse record than UND this year.
Quinnipiac has 7 appearances in the last 20 years. Again, they are on a nice run currently of making the tournament. They haven't made a Frozen Four since they lost to UND in 2016.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Grand Forks has never had the same things to entice recruits that Denver or Minneapolis has. Yet, we still hung a bunch of banners.

As for the almighty B1G, the success of two of their teams can be attributed to the following:

-Minnesota is more successful now because they replaced Don Lucia with Bob Motzko. The program was stuck in the mud with Lucia at the end of his tenure there.

-Michigan is more successful now because Red Berenson finally retired; he was decomposing behind the bench towards the end and the program suffered for it.

NIL is being used as yet another reason why we can't expect national-level success at UND anymore. I am not saying we shouldn't do something pro-active about it, but it is a very convenient excuse to throw out there when we have a disappointing season like this one.

The Engelstad Foundation could set up an NIL program for athletes to help promote the various charitable endeavors of the Foundation. The Foundation is not a part of UND, so I think it would pass NCAA muster. What say everyone?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Grand Forks has never had the same things to entice recruits that Denver or Minneapolis has. Yet, we still hung a bunch of banners.

As for the almighty B1G, the success of two of their teams can be attributed to the following:

-Minnesota is more successful now because they replaced Don Lucia with Bob Motzko. The program was stuck in the mud with Lucia at the end of his tenure there.

-Michigan is more successful now because Red Berenson finally retired; he was decomposing behind the bench towards the end and the program suffered for it.

NIL is being used as yet another reason why we can't expect national-level success at UND anymore. I am not saying we shouldn't do something pro-active about it, but it is a very convenient excuse to throw out there when we have a disappointing season like this one.

The Engelstad Foundation could set up an NIL program for athletes to help promote the various charitable endeavors of the Foundation. The Foundation is not a part of UND, so I think it would pass NCAA muster. What say everyone?

You are spot on with your take on Minnesota and that's the thing I am afraid of that will happen at UND. Lucia went back-to-back and then they were consistently mediocre for the rest of his time. For a program like UND's that shouldn't be the standard, we lived through it once in the early 90's and we shouldn't have to go through it again.

Why stop at the Engelstad Foundation? Why not get some major local businesses involved with NIL; Rydell's, Altru, Scheels, etc...) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

You are spot on with your take on Minnesota and that's the thing I am afraid of that will happen at UND. Lucia went back-to-back and then they were consistently mediocre for the rest of his time. For a program like UND's that shouldn't be the standard, we lived through it once in the early 90's and we shouldn't have to go through it again.

Why stop at the Engelstad Foundation? Why not get some major local businesses involved with NIL; Rydell's, Altru, Scheels, etc...) 

You are correct. I was just throwing out the Engelstad Foundation as one example. Altru, Hugo's, Rydell's....all Grand Forks-based institutions that have the resources to fund an NIL initiative.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You are correct. I was just throwing out the Engelstad Foundation as one example. Altru, Hugo's, Rydell's....those are all Grand Forks-based institutions that have the resources to fund an NIL initiative.

Just curious how much "resources" do you think they should annually kick in above and beyond what they already do? Or are you willing to have them lower contributions in other places to offset a new need?

Just now, jdub27 said:

Just curious how much "resources" do you think they should annually kick in above and beyond what they already do? Or are you willing to have them lower contributions in other places to offset a new need?

What these organizations are willing to give on NIL is not my decision to make. I know UND cannot be involved in it. That being said, I think local businesses and organizations will be receptive to student-athletes promoting their services and/or products. We have great student-athletes who would make excellent spokespersons for our local boosters.

Bottom Line: We either get on board with NIL or get left behind. Period. There is no "middle ground" here.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Dig into that one a bit more, Mafia.

Albie O’Connell was hired in 2018 and let go after the 2022 season.  The team made 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 2021 and promptly lost to St Cloud State.  Their 2019-2020 record was 13-13-8 so the Terriers weren’t exactly lighting it up in the Covid season either.  

BU gave a former team captain a shot at being ahead coach and canned him four years later.  Gee, almost like they have high expectations or something at BU.  But I was told we should only expect to make NCAA tournaments once in a blue moon because the landscape has changed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Heck yeah. Less advertising on the PA, scoreboard and logos on the ice. Use those resources towards NIL instead. That would be two benefits. Recruiting and the atmosphere at the games would be better with less “commercials “. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Albie O’Connell was hired in 2018 and let go after the 2022 season.  The team made 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 2021 and promptly lost to St Cloud State.  Their 2019-2020 record was 13-13-8 so the Terriers weren’t exactly lighting it up in the Covid season either.  

BU gave a former team captain a shot at being ahead coach and canned him four years later.  Gee, almost like they have high expectations or something at BU.  But I was told we should only expect to make NCAA tournaments once in a blue moon because the landscape has changed.  

Keep digging. It wasn't all about his performance. 

Yeah, no one is saying that bolded part. Why do we do this? Who said we shouldn't expect to make the tourney?

• Upvote 2