Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Until we have a real understanding (when I say real, I mean people realizing that winning a national championship every year is just dumb and the competitive landscape has absolutely changed since the 90s and 2000s) of what SHOULD BE our expectations every year, this nonsense argument of wanting to get rid of a coach every season will just never stop.

Yep.  I'm pretty certain that a "FIRE COACH X" thread has been started every single year on this forum since it's inception...except for those years where we have won a title. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

THIS is my point. There's NO CHANCE we have a reasonable enough group of fans that could take a significant lull. Until we have a real understanding (when I say real, I mean people realizing that winning a national championship every year is just dumb and the competitive landscape has absolutely changed since the 90s and 2000s) of what SHOULD BE our expectations every year, this nonsense argument of wanting to get rid of a coach every season will just never stop.

I don't find the expectation that we should be in the NCAA Tournament every year unreasonable at all.  And the landscape is changing but we are not keeping up in recruiting or playing style.  This has been the most frustrating year in a long time.  And there is absolutely zero reason why we should be in the goalie situation we are in now - and we have to rely on the portal again for next year.  We should demand better.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish said:

I don't find the expectation that we should be in the NCAA Tournament every year unreasonable at all.  And the landscape is changing but we are not keeping up in recruiting or playing style.  This has been the most frustrating year in a long time.  And there is absolutely zero reason why we should be in the goalie situation we are in now - and we have to rely on the portal again for next year.  We should demand better.  

Agreed. One really awful year. Throws out all the past at a potential risk for the future? Not for me, man.

Playing style, I can see. I have no problem with a desire to mold our playing style. Recruiting is just wrong. Our pipeline is great and it's dumb we argue this. Goalie is in a bad situation, but one guy can fix that problem. 

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Many, many people have said they expect title wins every season. Whether they believe it or not, I can't tell you that.

The bolded part is my problem. He's been INCREDIBLY SUCCESSFUL by all logical standards. Basically, he's been a top 5 coach nationally. This season happens, and it's all not enough. 

So if next season is similar to this season, you'll point to the back-to-back-to-back NCHC titles?

It doesn't take long for a program to sink into the sewer (Wisconsin). I don't want us to learn that lesson the hard way.

8 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think it's less that "we can't expect those results here" and more "no program should expect those results consistently".
You're choosing a very small sample size (2017-current).  The one-and-done format of the NCAA's means that you have to have a talented team that is playing well at the right time...and you also need a little luck.  Both of those programs winning two titles since our last title is more of an outlier, less of the norm.  Team success is cyclical, everyone goes thru their ups and downs.

Take UMD.  They went the first 60+ years of their existence without a single title.  Then another 6 before their next.  And, if I'm being honest, I see UMD entering another title drought.

DU had 5 of their titles in the 50's and 60's.  Then had nothing during the 70s/80s/90s...three plus decades of no titles, with most of those teams not even making the tourney.  Then they get their back to back followed by another 12 year drought.

Yeah, but it is so much easier to cherry pick data and say "They did it, why can't we??" while ignoring those previous decades of nothingness.
You're spot on. No one is regularly winning titles every few years. Yes, teams can do it over a short duration/small sample size, but it is not normal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Other than a few players we are slow as heck, looking at Senden / Hain in particular since they get so many minutes....  Should coach have embraced a New Jersey mindset and played the trap until we cried...  oh, wait....

I wholly disagree with this being a slow team. I also wholly disagree that we play trap hockey. All good, though. That's your opinion.

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

So if next season is similar to this season, you'll point to the back-to-back-to-back NCHC titles as reason why there is nothing wrong?

It doesn't take long for a program to sink into the sewer (Wisconsin). I don't want us to learn that lesson the hard way.

NO. Jeebus, this is why this thread is MADDENING! If next season is like this one, it shows the lack of the ability to fix a problem. I'd be interested in other options. I've said this several times, too. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

We need to get back to the days where we were losing in the Frozen Four semifinals instead of just winning conference titles, a playoff title and a Natty! :wink:

But now half the time we don’t even make the NCAA tourney so no shot at all at winning a natty. We always had that chance under previous coach while current coach only won the natty when handed the keys to a Cadillac.  

2 hours ago, Irish said:

This. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin G said:

Give each coaching regime 2-3 years to win a championship. If no natty,  then fire the whole crew. 

I mean, it’s worked for teams like the Cleveland Browns. 

Great comparison.  Now do college football and let me know how long the coaching leash is these days. 

5 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I think ya'll are just trolling Stoney....

Hahaha feels like it, sometimes. It's so much circular talk, man. We all recognize this year is FUBAR. But at what point do we realize we're not honestly that far off from being where we want to be? If next year ends the way this year likely ends, I'd much more understand the incredible amount of angst. I honestly feel there's a large lack of perspective on the overall standing of the program. 

I can't in my right mind send the team to the hoards of the internet when I look at our current young pieces along with the pipeline we've built for the next handful of years. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha feels like it, sometimes. It's so much circular talk, man. We all recognize this year is FUBAR. But at what point do we realize we're not honestly that far off from being where we want to be?

And even this season.  As completely frustrating as it has been, especially with the high hopes in the early season...and yet if the team had managed just two more wins; one against ASU and one against Miami...the team would be looking at an at-large bid.  That's crazy. 

7 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Is this a smart comparison? Considering revenue streams... 

But the NFL coaching comparison was totally relevant?  I might instead take a look at Boston U and their pretty recent decision to dump a coach after only a season or two at the helm…

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, but it is so much easier to cherry pick data and say "They did it, why can't we??" while ignoring those previous decades of nothingness.
You're spot on. No one is regularly winning titles every few years. Yes, teams can do it over a short duration/small sample size, but it is not normal. 

In the past 20 years, Denver, Boston College and Duluth have won 3 titles each (and Duluth was not far from winning 3 in a row). In times where they say "parity" is too much and you can't win a title every few years is just wrong. How are these three programs doing it? Heck, UMass was in back-to-back title games and Quinnipiac was in the title game twice in four years. So don't tell me programs aren't winning titles every few years when in reality there are programs that are. In the time span from 2000-2015 we were in the FF 9 times and since then, we have only been there once. I don't expect UND to win a National Championships every year or every other year but I do expect them to make the NCAA and win more than one game, that is not an unreasonable expectation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1