SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UMD GAMEDAY

Langster019

18 minutes ago, hky said:

In the Frozen Face off?  Who did he hit?  That means the last 3 times they played UND, Wolff has had a major and an ejection?

It was Jones. I specifically remember how angry I was. 

UMD fans can be mad about the refs all they want but they need to get it through their thick skulls that when you have a player that has a reputation for these kind of things, you’re not going to get the benefit of the doubt from officials when they have the discretion on the severity of the penalty. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

How did they get screwed when we didn't score on any of those 7 power plays? 

Especially being that they probably had a better chance scoring short handed than we did with the man advantage. They should have looked at any PK situation as a positive. ;):D

The best part is that the officials get to look at the replay with a supervisor of officials up in the booth chiming in.  

I would love to know what penalty those apologists for the hit think should have been called?  Or if they really think that's a hockey play.

Gooch's penalty was a clear as day spear....Wolf's a clear as day head contact.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The best part is that the officials get to look at the replay with a supervisor of officials up in the booth chiming in.  

I would love to know what penalty those apologists for the hit think should have been called?  Or if they really think that's a hockey play.

Gooch's penalty was a clear as day spear....Wolf's a clear as day head contact.

Agree on the spear on Gooch, BUT ....  did the refs see it, only on reply? ... there was no immediate penalty called, the Duluth player played opossum on the ice while the play continued (with Hawk's possession) till the puck got down the ice to their goalie, then whistle blew. If the Duluth player would of got right up and skated, would of there even been a penalty called?

24 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Agree on the spear on Gooch, BUT ....  did the refs see it, only on reply? ... there was no immediate penalty called, the Duluth player played opossum on the ice while the play continued (with Hawk's possession) till the puck got down the ice to their goalie, then whistle blew. If the Duluth player would of got right up and skated, would of there even been a penalty called?

From my understanding if they had determined that Kawaguchi's penalty was only a minor they couldn't call anything but since they determined it was a major they were able to call it even though none was called on the ice during play.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, petey23 said:

From my understanding if they had determined that Kawaguchi's penalty was only a minor they couldn't call anything but since they determined it was a major they were able to call it even though none was called on the ice during play.

My take on the cup check by Kawaguchi, it wasn't that bad of a spear and the Bulldogs players sold it well. What a bunch of divers. Yes, it was a spear. Yes it's was a dumb, an unnecessary play. I know we all hate whataboutisms, but Wolff did the same damn thing in front of the UMD net. This play happens a lot every week in hockey. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

My contention, that during the review they should have seen the Duluth player chop Kawaguchi on the back of the leg.   Why not give him a penalty for intent to injure since he was slashing him where there is no padding?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

My take on the cup check by Kawaguchi, it wasn't that bad of a spear and the Bulldogs players sold it well. What a bunch of divers. Yes, it was a spear. Yes it's was a dumb, an unnecessary play. I know we all hate whataboutisms, but Wolff did the same damn thing in front of the UMD net. This play happens a lot every week in hockey. 

Do you video of this @Goon?

Just saw a replay of the Saturday game and holy crap are the Duluth color guys just complete homers. On the Wolff hit, that was blatant contact to the head, he launches into the hit, and he leads shoulder to head, and the color guys are defending that? Had that hit been given by a UND player, they would have been screaming for the cops to get involved due to assault. 

17 minutes ago, Fader said:

Is that facing shots mostly to the chest and pads?

Thome played better than Scheel in their starts against W. Michigan. I didn't see much of a separation between the two after AA. Scheel obviously had the better weekend against Duluth and will get the start against Denver on Friday.....it's his net to lose again.

33 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Thome played better than Scheel in their starts against W. Michigan. I didn't see much of a separation between the two after AA. Scheel obviously had the better weekend against Duluth and will get the start against Denver on Friday.....it's his net to lose again.

I think Thome has had more issues when the team is playing consistent in front of them.  Both goaltenders have been hung out to dry on occasion by the team abandoning their systems because they fell behind.  Thome didn't help matters in that regard by helping Duluth with that delay of game penalty.  After that it was all down hill. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's funny because we scored both goals 5x5 and they had a 5 min major :D

A guy on Twitter said the game was only competitive because of the power plays we got. That we didn’t score on. And that showed how superior UMD is.   :lol:

I am confused. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't recall all of the penalties, but I do remember most of them looking pretty darn legit.

They were. They called the ones that need to be called. They could have called more penalties, both ways......it is the best officiated game I've seen with a Todd Anderson crew. That said......if the penalty total would have been reversed a lot of our fans would have been bitching too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

A guy on Twitter said the game was only competitive because of the power plays we got. That we didn’t score on. And that showed how superior UMD is.   :lol:

I am confused. 

Hahaha I guess I get what they are TRYING to say? The less time 5x5 we played, the easier the game. I get it... but giving us a PP on Saturday was not an advantage haha. 

Troof.... they blew our doors off on Friday and (much like many of our fan base) expected us not to show up on Sat. We played the type of game that has shown us success at times this year and we won the game. This team can be successful. Just need to play like we have when we have won games. We've all seen it...

Consistent, balls out, continual energy... all game long, no stopping.