SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

32 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would not say no credit, but when you can run for 5+ yards a carry just running off tackle how hard is it to be OC?  During the season it seemed like when we really needed some offense, the only game where Rudy delivered was the drive vs SHSU.  

The ISU game was pivotal to me. If Kett does not screw up that handoff(practice, drill and rehearse) that game ends up like the Montana game.  Instead we carry a 2 point lead into half, are shut out in the 2nd half and we think we will win?    On the 4th down and 11 from the 15 at the end of the game we ran the SAME frickin'  play as we scored on at SHSU and we wondered why it was picked?  Kett locked on Wanzek the entire play and the safety read it.  Do we think it was different in practice?

Are we talking about Kett or Rudy?

29 minutes ago, ajries18 said:

Which of our current quarterbacks provide the best fit for Danny's new offense?

Which skill position players are in line for more playing time/opportunities/touches with the change in philosophy?

I hope he utilizes the TE's more.  I feel like there is skill at that position that is untapped.  

On 11/21/2018 at 3:24 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I absolutely hate this notion that internal reassignments are a good idea. I just don’t care how great of people they are or how great of former players they were at UND. 

UND football needs to new blood and outside ideas. It’s the only way this stale culture is cured. It is so important to recognize the culture here is apart of the issue, with of course the offensive scheme improving also. 

On 11/21/2018 at 4:36 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need new culture with successful past. 

22 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think it’s the right move and we’ll see points. 

wat?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So the OC gets no credit when they are getting those 5+ yards a carry, only when they don't? Guess I"m not following that logic. Obviously the ability to not do it at the end of the year cost him his job but the OL and run game were both working well the first half of the year. Don't know what the underlying issues are as the season went on, but the guys who's job it was to figure it out and fix it, couldn't and are looking for new jobs.

Plenty of blame to go around in the ISU game, especially when the defense gives up 597 yards. If UND doesn't fumble into the end zone in the first half, that game ends differently.

It’s not about just the run game, it’s about the offense as a whole and scoring enough points to win, obviously.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

wat?

My preference was an outside hire. UND has been average at best during the time Freund has been an assistant coach at UND. Still hoping for external hires at OL and WR coach. 

Now that Freund has been hired, let’s move forward and hope for the best. 

Or do you expect me to hope my alma mater loses every game? Of course not. 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd really like to get Luke Schleusner back to UND but I just don't see a spot. :( 
He's been coaching TEs and is co-ST coordinator (kick-off team). 

A guy who knows what it takes to win as a player (and to be part of really good teams as a coach) is never bad to have around. 

https://gojacks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=483

ST coordinator eh?  Another opportunity lost because Bubba.

1 minute ago, Feff said:

How hard do you think it was for Danny the last couple years to bite his tongue with playcalling and scheme? 

I think it was very hard.  But he is a son of a coach and understands it is a team effort and full support is needed if you are part of the team.