SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Either way, Bubba stated the OC was going to have significant input into the hiring of the OL (and now WR coach). I'm not sure why you'd be up in arms about a "hand-picked" candidate. That's how pretty much how hiring an assistant coach goes. They will still get applicants that don't have previous connections with but guessing when you're job is on the line, you're going to go with someone you feel you can put your trust in rather than a completely unknown commodity.

I agree with you and, as such, I am not "up in arms". We said the same thing using different words. 

It appears it won’t be anything close to a true external hiring process. 

I expect “hand-picked” selections from Bubba and Freund. Along with the Freund promotion, we’ll see if this strategy actually ends up being good or bad as time goes along ...

If the job listing is not posted by now, then it is not a "true" external hiring process. It is what it is.

Also, there is no prior history of this arrangement, so we obviously have to wait and see how this all plays out with Freund as OC. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

I did a spit take on reading this one.  

Ha, why?  I just don't see how it's an issue that the job isn't posted yet.  They are probably talking to people they have in mind, and then they will post it.  Aren't most of these jobs found through networking anyway?   Maybe people will be upset that this isn't posted on Monster or Careerbuilder.com, as well.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

This is Sioux Sports...everyone has an issue with everything.

No kidding.  In addition, people are worried that the public records requests in ND limits the quality of the candidate pool for jobs like this.  Does anyone really think that anyone worth their salt won't have a job like this on their radar if they are interested in this type of position?  I'm sure Freund or Bubba would take their call, and if they can't figure out how to get in contact with them, I'd have to wonder how well they would do at recruiting student athletes.  I think it's highly unlikely that Freund and Bubba will have their best candidate just apply for a job and make themselves subject to an open records request, without reaching out to Freund and Bubba first.  The public job posting is a formality.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

No kidding.  In addition, people are worried that the public records requests in ND limits the quality of the candidate pool for jobs like this.  Does anyone really think that anyone worth their salt won't have a job like this on their radar if they are interested in this type of position?  I'm sure Freund or Bubba would take their call, and if they can't figure out how to get in contact with them, I'd have to wonder how well they would do at recruiting student athletes.  I think it's highly unlikely that Freund and Bubba will have their best candidate just apply for a job and make themselves subject to an open records request, without reaching out to Freund and Bubba first.  The public job posting is a formality.

Agreed. There is a 100% chance conversations are taking place behind the scenes. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Based on the list from the 360 guys my order for WR coach

1. Schleusner

2. Dressler

3. Heckendorf

4. Pauley

I like this list. I'll go like this:

1. Landry (Would be shocked if we snagged him)

2. Schleusner (Don't think we have a chance at him)

3. King (Kids absolutely loved this guy, I want who the athletes want to play for.)

9 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I like this list. I'll go like this:

1. Landry (Would be shocked if we snagged him)

2. Schleusner (Don't think we have a chance at him)

3. King (Kids absolutely loved this guy, I want who the athletes want to play for.)

I feel like Freund would be naturally attracted to a guy like King, assuming Schleusner, Landry, and Dressler say no.  I'd add King to Geaux_Sioux's list, and I would be happy with any of them.

I think there are some great candidates here.

For OL, what do you guys think of Tim Prinsen (Edmonton Eskimos)?  Surprised to see a guy like that on the list.  What do the position coaches in the CFL make?  There is some decent size in Canada - maybe he would appeal to some of the Canadian recruits, and help to keep them from de-committing.  

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with you and, as such, I am not "up in arms". We said the same thing using different words. 

If the job listing is not posted by now, then it is not a "true" external hiring process. It is what it is.

Also, there is no prior history of this arrangement, so we obviously have to wait and see how this all plays out with Freund as OC. 

I don't think assistants are ever a true external process.  from D3 to the NFL it is often times people who have connections to the school or staff.   

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

part of being nervous about danny being oc....what part of his job as wr coach the last few years has he shown excellence in...the wr's across the board are average at best.

It is a fair point. Let’s hope the receivers that are recruited in the future are more athletic and capable. They also need to be used better than they have been. Hopefully Rudolph was somehow the common denominator in the poor receiver play ...

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

part of being nervous about danny being oc....what part of his job as wr coach the last few years has he shown excellence in...the wr's across the board are average at best.

I'd argue Wanzek was the best player on the offense last year. Wasn't highly recruited and has become a very nice WR.

11 minutes ago, shep said:

I'd argue Wanzek was the best player on the offense last year. Wasn't highly recruited and has become a very nice WR.

Elite hands, very good blocking and route running, mediocre speed.  Very solid receiver.  Just need a speedster to complement him.

They also seemed to iron out whatever issues Toivonen was having catching the ball early in the season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

we have tons of "nice" players on this roster...bubbsa took a shot at muss when he took over by saying their just isn't/wasn't a lot of d1 talent on the roster...imo bubba has taken quite a step back five years later to where if bubba was fired tomorrow the next coach might say the same thing about the current roster.

10 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

This is Sioux Sports...everyone has an issue with everything.

In football terms ....I can see the hard core fans having issues with most everything  being average ....actually it would be considered below average (49% career d1 winning percent ).  If people on here did not have issues with being an under .500 program I would be more worried.  Sioux sports gives everyone an outlet of expression.  Some good some bad some not sure. Personally...I was hoping after 11 years in d1 that I would be able to experience 1 playoff win.  Issue?  Not an issue? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

In football terms ....I can see the hard core fans having issues with most everything  being average ....actually it would be considered below average (49% career d1 winning percent ).  If people on here did not have issues with being an under .500 program I would be more worried.  Sioux sports gives everyone an outlet of expression.  Some good some bad some not sure. Personally...I was hoping after 11 years in d1 that I would be able to experience 1 playoff win.  Issue?  Not an issue? 

This was tounge in cheek. Settle down.