SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So I'm to assume UND is nowhere on par with NDSU.......or SDSU on getting and retaining good coaches? I do remember a couple other good coaches that come to mind that applied when looking to replace Muss. I do see your point though.......if you are on staff take the opportunity and run with it. If you are not on staff but UND is an intriguing situation wait until UND clears house again throw your hat into the ring.

Once again, who were they going to get?  Don't even need a name, just a level/position that they are currently coaching at. Anyone can chime in.....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

D2 OC or fcs position coach. Possibly a low budget D2 HC or low budget fcs OC.

OK. Now let's factor in that Bubba's in his 6th year (limited success) and has two years left to win and do something in the playoffs.  Who is going to uproot their family for 1-2 years and take that chance?  Other coaches factor all that stuff in when looking into a job.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

OK. Now let's factor in that Bubba's in his 6th year (limited success) and has two years left to win and do something in the playoffs.  Who is going to uproot their family for 1-2 years and take that chance?  Other coaches factor all that stuff in when looking into a job.

A family is bound to be uprooted several times if a career in coaching is chosen.  The wife wouldn’t want that if it really wasn’t important to him, so she agreed to that lifestyle.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We did, but in hindsight maybe it isn't fair to hand a guy the keys to a hooptie and expect luxury performance.

The idea that Bubba would allow that to officially happen during the season is nearly preposterous.  Pave the way for someone else beneath you to take the OC’s job?  It can happen with players but not coaches.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

I like Freund but the first question in my mind was it we had a guy on staff that we felt could be up the job all this time then why at some point in the last 4 years after one of our inept offensive performances didn't Bubba say "Hey Rudy, we're gonna change things up this week, maybe give things a  little different perspective and let Danny call the next game" I mean we had 20+ opportunities to try this in the last 4 years.

That’s a great way to sow confusion going forward and possibly dissent amongst players and coaches. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Tempo, perimeter, ball in space, explosive plays, players' strengths, simple concepts so players can play fast!!  I am nearly speachless!!

Such novel concepts relative to the previous offenses under Rudolph!

I’m looking forward to the new offense. I love that Freund said the offense is centered around the QB play - that is so important. 

QUOTE:

“I think you have to build it around the quarterback,” Freund said. “We want to be an attacking-style team that utilizes different tempos. I think you’ll see us get the ball on the perimeter a little more, getting the ball in space and out of the quarterback’s hands. I think it’s important to take shots, too. Explosive plays give you momentum and you don’t have to go 12, 15 plays.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4533926-und-elevates-freund-offensive-coordinator#.W_tsFX493KA.twitter

• Upvote 2

Freund said all the right things and I think he will be a big improvement.  My concern is with Bubba's approach - quick interview with 2 people already on staff and then hire one. No need to open it to any "outsiders" - wouldn't want any "foreign" ideas sneaking in.   I feel like he is making these "changes" as changeless as possible.  I'm beginning to think that Bubba will never change or spend any time on introspection.  Left to his own devices, I think Bubba would be content re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Ok - rant over - go get em Freund.  Don't give in to Bubba.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Wait, so we don't have to keep trying to force a square peg into a round hole? 

The fact that Freund says the offense will utilize the strengths of the players available is, well, positive, but the fact that it is being received so well just proves how dysfunctional the previous offensive systems were. 

QUOTE:

“ ... the system will be about the strengths of the players in the program.”

• Upvote 1

We had one of the most predictable offenses in the Big Sky (and as an independent), and at the same time was one with very little in game adjustments - let alone changes for the next week. We had to be easy to scout, other teams knew what we were doing. We put ourselves in a position where player talent wasn't fully utilized for a good team effort.  Third quarter play kept us out of the playoffs and possibly from a bye this last weekend.

Freund must of have been frustrated with the offensive play calling, he should have a great insight on what needs to be done with this offense.

He knows the players and has the whole off season to get us ready for next season. Many long days ahead, wish him the best. We didn't miss the playoffs by much. Also with projected improvement to our 2 and 3 deep coming this off season, there should be a brighter future.

OC FreUND will free up UND's offense.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That’s a great way to sow confusion going forward and possibly dissent amongst players and coaches. 

Exactly. If Bubba did that and Fruend called a game and UND won would it stop at 1 game? Or if Bubba did that and Fruend called a game and UND lost and we missed the playoffs...who gets blamed? Stupid idea!! 

12 hours ago, siouxweet said:

I am absolutely shocked a former UND player was hired.  Not.  That is all this program does.  How about actually doing a search for once.  You wouldn't see NDSU calling Kevin Feeney if their OC position opened up.

By program you mean school right? Most sports do this. You saying UND should have never looked at Brad Berry as a coach or Dave Hakstol? Or assistants like Dane Jackson, Carey Eades and Scott Sandelin?