SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Significantly different than forcing a change or doing something Bubba was against. Of course it was discussed with Chaves, no one has claimed anything different and I don't think a coach is going to let people go without discussing it with his boss. But there was no ultimatum or taking the choice out of the head coach's hand and forcing him into something. 

Hell, the offense was actually running pretty well through the Sac St game and then cracks started to appear against Weber, who is a good defensive team. Despite some issues, not sure how anyone could have really argued for a change until after Idaho at the earliest and that was when they were shorthanded and still on a path to the playoffs. 

For the record, I fully support the changes made and were the exact ones I predicted when the season ended. 

I would say that our issues on offense this season  first became pretty apparent during the Sam Houston State game

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

I would say that our issues on offense this season  first became pretty apparent during the Sam Houston State game

I’d argue the issues (principally poor QB coaching and play) became apparent game 1.

Mississippi Valley State - horrible FCS team in the Alerus Center and UND struggles to score 35 points, most of which came in the first half which started a horrible trend of second half lack-of-production for the entire season. UND needed to put up way more than 35 against MVSU.

Against Washington the following week, UND’s defense had them in the game allowing only 17 points in the first 3 quarters. Yet, the offense couldn’t gain momentum. The offense simplistically handed the ball off to Santiago over and over again, which, although it padded his stat line, never allowed for quality UND QB play which would’ve got UND in the game and actually worried Washington about an upset.

The UND offense followed suit the rest of the season. 

This is why I love what Freund is at least saying early on. If the starting QB never gets into a rhythm and gains momentum, it doesn’t matter how many good running-backs you have. Without a purely dominant offensive line, which UND clearly doesn’t have yet, offensive production runs through the rhythm of the QB. Whether it’s Ketteringham, Zimmerman, Boltman, or someone else, the UND offense in ‘19 needs to do whatever necessary to bring momentum back to the QB spot. Love the idea of tempo, quick perimeter passes, and an increased volume of deep shots. Despite common perception, tempo and perimeter passes will actually open up the middle for nice runs by Johannesson and Weah. Looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

To think the new AD didn't say anything to Bubba prior to the coaching changes after the NAU and season debacle is very naive.......very naive.

When players outwardly were expressing to Bubba their frustration in his convervative approach and lack of willingness to "go for it" as the season went along and ended....well pretty sure someone else stepped in.

You could see the expressions on the players' faces as the season wore on, especially in the 2nd half @NAU. 

8 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I always chuckle at those who get so bent out of shape about not going for it on 4th down.

Here are the Big Sky teams that led the league in 4th down attempts this year........

TEAM..........................RECORD

#1 Southern Utah................1-10

#2 Northern Colorado.........2-9

#3 Idaho..............................4-7

#4 Cal Poly..........................5-6

But hey, those coaches sure did have balls...........................

I don’t care what those stats say, we’ve had multiple situations where the obvious best option is to be aggressive and go for it. It demoralized the team when he turtled.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I hope you're joking.

Although I wish Rudy had been fired 12 months ago (or better yet, never hired), it may have been difficult to justify firing him shortly after putting up 38, 41, and 41 points through the middle of our schedule.

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Significantly different than forcing a change or doing something Bubba was against. Of course it was discussed with Chaves, no one has claimed anything different and I don't think a coach is going to let people go without discussing it with his boss. But there was no ultimatum or taking the choice out of the head coach's hand and forcing him into something. 

Hell, the offense was actually running pretty well through the Sac St game and then cracks started to appear against Weber, who is a good defensive team. Despite some issues, not sure how anyone could have really argued for a change until after Idaho at the earliest and that was when they were shorthanded and still on a path to the playoffs. 

For the record, I fully support the changes made and were the exact ones I predicted when the season ended. 

The change should have been made a year ago!!!!

• Upvote 3

I'd really like to get Luke Schleusner back to UND but I just don't see a spot. :( 
He's been coaching TEs and is co-ST coordinator (kick-off team). 

A guy who knows what it takes to win as a player (and to be part of really good teams as a coach) is never bad to have around. 

https://gojacks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=483

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd really like to get Luke Schleusner back to UND but I just don't see a spot. :( 
He's been coaching TEs and is co-ST coordinator (kick-off team). 

A guy who knows what it takes to win as a player (and to be part of really good teams as a coach) is never bad to have around. 

https://gojacks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=483

His salary at SDSU is $55,000

52 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although I wish Rudy had been fired 12 months ago (or better yet, never hired), it may have been difficult to justify firing him shortly after putting up 38, 41, and 41 points through the middle of our schedule.

When you dig into those games the offensive coordination,QB coaching and scheme was not why we scored so many points.

UNC:  Rushed for 366 yards.  Kett was 9-16(56.3%) for 121 yards with 0 tds and 1 pick

Mont: Rushed for 291 yards.  Kett was 17-25(68.0%) for 254 yards with 4 tds and 2 picks.  Montana had 2 early turnovers and UND had a goal line stand early which set the tone for the game.  The picks were sloppy.

SAC St: Rushed for 509 yards.  Kett was 9-16(56.3%) for 124 yards, with 1 td and 1 pick.  Early Ketteringham pick was ugly and set up SAC St TD.  Anybody can OC when you can run for 509 yards.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

When you dig into those games the offensive coordination and scheme was not why we scored so many points.

UNC:  Rushed for 366 yards.  Kett was 9-16(56.3%) for 121 yards with 0 tds and 1 pick

Mont: Rushed for 291 yards.  Kett was 17-25(68.0%) for 254 yards with 4 tds and 2 picks.  Montana had 2 early turnovers and UND had a goal line stand early which set the tone for the game.  The picks were sloppy.

SAC St: Rushed for 509 yards.  Kett was 9-16(56.3%) for 124 yards, with 1 td and 1 pick.  Early Ketteringham pick was ugly and set up SAC St TD.  Anybody can OC when you can run for 509 yards.

I don't disagree the team made it easy for him, but it's tough to be upset about 5-600 yards and 40 points.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

I don't disagree the team made it easy for him, but it's tough to be upset about 5-600 yards and 40 points.

I get it, but you don't have to be an offensive mastermind to run Johannessen off tackle when you are averaging 5+yards a carry.  I would not say that Kett played really well in any of those games.  He made a couple great throws against Montana but also threw some passes that were awful decisions.  UNC and SAC st I would make the case we won despite Kett's play, UND was just far superior in the trenches.

• Like 1

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

I get it, but you don't have to be an offensive mastermind to run Johannessen off tackle when you are averaging 5+yards a carry.  I would not say that Kett played really well in any of those games.  He made a couple great throws against Montana but also threw some passes that were awful decisions.  UNC and SAC st I would make the case we won despite Kett's play, UND was just far superior in the trenches.

Are we talking about Kett or Rudy?

Take a look at the actual stats. The offense's identity was the running game and that was working well (and those numbers don't adjust for QB sacks that are included in rush yards). It didn't start to go off the rails until Weber and never recovered.

MVSU - 518 yards, 6.5 yards/play (293 rushing, 5.9/carry)
UW - 301 yards, 4.6 yards/play (182 rushing, 5.5/carry)
SHSU - 376 yards, 5.1 yards/play (187 rushing, 4.2/carry)
ISU - 469 yards, 6.0 yards/play (245 rushing, 6.1/carry)
UNC - 474 yards, 6.2 yards/play (351 rushing, 5.8/carry)
UM - 536 yards, 6.9 yards/play (282 rushing, 5.3/carry)
SSU. - 604 yards, 8.8 yards/play (480 rushing, 9.1/carry)
Weber - 321 yards, 5.6 yards/play (105 rushing, 3.8/carry)
Idaho - 335 yards, 4.3 yards/play (172 rushing, 3.7/carry)
PSU - 222 yards, 4.0 yards/play (122 rushing, 3.1/carry)
NAU - 192 yards, 2.7 yards/play (83 rushing, 2.0/carry)

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Take a look at the actual stats. The offense's identity was the running game and that was working well (and those numbers don't adjust for QB sacks that are included in rush yards). It didn't start to go off the rails until Weber and never recovered.

MVSU - 518 yards, 6.5 yards/play (293 rushing, 5.9/carry)
UW - 301 yards, 4.6 yards/play (182 rushing, 5.5/carry)
SHSU - 376 yards, 5.1 yards/play (187 rushing, 4.2/carry)
ISU - 469 yards, 6.0 yards/play (245 rushing, 6.1/carry)
UNC - 474 yards, 6.2 yards/play (351 rushing, 5.8/carry)
UM - 536 yards, 6.9 yards/play (282 rushing, 5.3/carry)
SSU. - 604 yards, 8.8 yards/play (480 rushing, 9.1/carry)
Weber - 321 yards, 5.6 yards/play (105 rushing, 3.8/carry)
Idaho - 335 yards, 4.3 yards/play (172 rushing, 3.7/carry)
PSU - 222 yards, 4.0 yards/play (122 rushing, 3.1/carry)
NAU - 192 yards, 2.7 yards/play (83 rushing, 2.0/carry)

Disagree.  Offensive coordination is easy when you can run for 5+ yards a carry.  Don't forget we were shut out in the 2nd half vs ISU.  Shut out in a half is ridiculous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Disagree.  Offensive coordination is easy when you can run for 5+ yards a carry.  Don't forget we were shut out in the 2nd half vs ISU.   Ridiculous.

So the OC gets no credit when they are getting those 5+ yards a carry, only when they don't? Guess I"m not following that logic. Obviously the ability to not do it at the end of the year cost him his job but the OL and run game were both working well the first half of the year. Don't know what the underlying issues are as the season went on, but the guys who's job it was to figure it out and fix it, couldn't and are looking for new jobs.

Plenty of blame to go around in the ISU game, especially when the defense gives up 597 yards. If UND doesn't fumble into the end zone in the first half, that game ends differently.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So the OC gets no credit when they are getting those 5+ yards a carry, only when they don't? Guess I"m not following that logic. Obviously the ability to not do it at the end of the year cost him his job but the OL and run game were both working well the first half of the year. Don't know what the underlying issues are as the season went on, but the guys who's job it was to figure it out and fix it, couldn't and are looking for new jobs.

Plenty of blame to go around in the ISU game, especially when the defense gives up 597 yards. If UND doesn't fumble into the end zone in the first half, that game ends differently.

The only decent run defense we faced when we had success was UW.

I agree about Idaho St though, we were about to blow their doors off then that fumble started the “here we go again” mojo that has haunted our teams under Bubba.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

.... we were about to blow their doors off then that fumble started the “here we go again” mojo that has haunted our teams under Bubba.

Yup. Even through television you could hear every sphincter on the sideline pucker. 

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So the OC gets no credit when they are getting those 5+ yards a carry, only when they don't? Guess I"m not following that logic. Obviously the ability to do so at the end of the year cost him his job but the OL and run game was working well the first half of the year. Don't know what the underlying issues are but the guys who couldn't figure it out are looking for new jobs.

I would not say no credit, but when you can run for 5+ yards a carry just running off tackle how hard is it to be OC?  During the season it seemed like when we really needed some offense, the only game where Rudy delivered was the drive vs SHSU.  

The ISU game was pivotal to me. If Kett does not screw up that handoff(practice, drill and rehearse) that game ends up like the Montana game.  Instead we carry a 2 point lead into half, are shut out in the 2nd half and we think we will win?    On the 4th down and 11 from the 15 at the end of the game we ran the SAME frickin'  play as we scored on at SHSU and we wondered why it was picked?  Kett locked on Wanzek the entire play and the safety read it.  Do we think it was different in practice?

• Upvote 1