SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

That is awesome!  Who is Michael Kubes?  Is  he a HS coach?

HS JV OL & ST coach from a Milwaukee suburb. Played OL for UW-Eau Claire in the early 2000s. On the UND staff for at least a while, but the webpage is now 404.

http://fhsgridironclub.weebly.com/coaching-staff.html

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml%3FDB_OEM_ID%3D13500%26ATCLID%3D204891108

Cached partial quote from google from the above link: "Prior to UND, Kubes worked as a high school football coach at various schools in the state of Wisconsin. Most recently he served as the head..."

Bit torn with freund as OC.  Would of liked to seen UND bring in some new blood ...but it is what it is.  I’m cautiously optimistic but most of  all.... excited that Rudy is no longer the OC. Major upgrade already  

Potential Likes/ positives with the hire: 

-UND returns a lot .  Freund knows what each can bring to the table....including the incoming recruits.  

- I would expect minimal players transferring as Danny connects very well with the players.  If it was a complete coaching overhaul it could of been a different story  

-IMO, incoming recruits should see this change as an upgrade with a younger, hopefully competent positional coach accepting the OC. 

- he should bring some energy to a 5 yr stale offense.  Players will feed off of that 

- Anything is an upgrade from Rudy . Period  

Potential dislikes/ negatives

he brings ZERO experience in as an OC. Being a good college QB, being a nice guy that connects well with people, being a rah rah positional coach,  bleeding Kelly green ...etc ..doesn’t mean he will be a successful OC.   The offense is his now. He needs to be prepared for all types of circumstances.  Decisions are significantly magnified.  

- will we see the same styled offense as the last fives years with some minimal changes?   Has he been “institutionalized”? I doubt it but we shall see 

Next year ...hope to see improvements across the board....hope to see Freund kill it ....hope to see und in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

0 years as an oc.........at....any...level.

makes me nervous especially with our schedule next year.

No doubt when the first year is over he will look back at it and feel he is a better OC at the end of the year, and probably look back at a few situations and wish he'd done a few things differently.  So there will likely be a few lumps, that said mostly all we've had is lumps for 5 years so I still feel we will be quite a bit better off than we were.   I know he will prepare all he can, but nothing like actually going through the experience of it live to learn a few things.  

On 11/26/2018 at 11:03 AM, Norhsidepride said:

Yea, because taking on the juggernaut that nobody beat last year coming off a 6-5 season will define Danny Fruend..........not

Think my point was more along the lines of let's see how the guy fares getting thrown to the lions in their den right away.  

Said "tell tale", not "defining moment".  I'm a fan of the hire, I think he does well. 

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Still no external postings for OL and WR coaches on the employment site; still just that assistant soccer coach posting. 

It appears it won’t be anything close to a true external hiring process. 

I expect “hand-picked” selections from Bubba and Freund. Along with the Freund promotion, we’ll see if this strategy actually ends up being good or bad as time goes along ...

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Still no external postings for OL and WR coaches on the employment site; still just that assistant soccer coach posting. 

No excuse to not post it yet, but there will probably not be a lot of movement in the coaching world until the December signing day is over.  Getting committed recruits to sign at current schools will always take priority, especially at this level.  I'd expect more movement with coaches after the first signing date, and for sure after the February signing date as staffs want to get coaches figured out and spring practice plans put together.  I wouldn't worry about it not being posted, I'm sure there's dialogue going on with coaches.

6 minutes ago, Player21 said:

there will probably not be a lot of movement in the coaching world until the December signing day is over.  

Coaching movement is currently still happening across the country. It’s just more difficult to coordinate now with December signing day. 

I wouldn’t doubt Bubba and Freund already have their choices heavily narrowed down by now. Hopefully they’re quality selections (not true “candidates” or “applicants”). 

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It appears it won’t be anything close to a true external hiring process. 

I expect “hand-picked” selections from Bubba and Freund. Along with the Freund promotion, we’ll see if this strategy actually ends up being good or bad as time goes along ...

While I'm not sure why it's not posted, you can lay off the conspiracy theories. There are various state hiring laws that have to be followed.

If I had to guess, Danny has a few people in mind and he's in contact with them, feeling out their interest. Once he has an idea who might be interested, the postings will made and tailored to make sure those people are qualified to apply. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

While I'm not sure why it's not posted, you can lay off the conspiracy theories. There are various state hiring laws that have to be followed.

If I had to guess, Danny has a few people in mind and he's in contact with them, feeling out their interest. Once he has an idea who might be interested, the postings will made and tailored to make sure those people are qualified to apply. 

Conspiracy theories? You just rephrased and reposted exactly what I said. 

“Hand-picked” selections by Bubba and Freund. 

vs.

Danny has few people in mind and he’s in contact with them. 

The “various state hiring laws” aren’t particularly relevant to the actual selection. They are relevant to officially hiring someone.

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

A1E7186D-CB0C-482C-ADFF-768F977F36BE.gif

Not sure why you feel the need for this, you delete most of my post and post this with two sentences from my original post.  My original post was just saying there's no reason not to post the positions, but that they won't be filled until current recruiting obligations are fulfilled and that I wouldn't worry about the job not being posted yet because potential targets are already having conversations with our staff and it won't matter when the job is actually posted.  Not sure why you need to infer that I'm on drugs..........

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Player21 said:

Not sure why you feel the need for this, you delete most of my post and post this with two sentences from my original post.  My original post was just saying there's no reason not to post the positions, but that they won't be filled until current recruiting obligations are fulfilled and that I wouldn't worry about the job not being posted yet because potential targets are already having conversations with our staff and it won't matter when the job is actually posted.  Not sure why you need to infer that I'm on drugs..........

In the context of recruiting, I hope Freund can at least let the recruits know who the OL and WR coaches will likely be. Those coaching positions being unofficially filled soon - even possibly before signing day - does have some level of importance. You all can debate as far as to what degree.

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In sake of recruiting, I hope Freund can at least let the recruits know who the OL and WR coaches will likely be. In the context of recruiting, those positions being filled to have some importance. You all can debate as far as to what degree.

The current staff will do a good job in recruiting in the meantime.  They are recruiting the kids to the university and the football program, not specifically for a position coach.  It certainly helps having staff in place that kids can start to develop a relationship with during the recruiting process, but coaches come and go, the kids need to be sold on the university and the program.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:23 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

0 years as an oc.........at....any...level.

makes me nervous especially with our schedule next year.

I think this is going to be a very long off season for us.   We still have lots of unanswered questions, plus the frustration of watching other teams playing post season.

3 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I think this is going to be a very long off season for us.   We still have lots of unanswered questions, plus the frustration of watching other teams playing post season.

Good Point.

Everything is based on hope this offseason. 

Previously there has been successful past seasons (2016), unique injury issues (2017), and favorable schedules, etc.

Now the future of UND football lies partially on unproven commodities. Not necessarily a bad thing just something that is perhaps more angst-provoking.

23 minutes ago, Player21 said:

Because it sounded a lot like Rick James from that Chappell’s Show sketch. What’s not to get?

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Conspiracy theories? You just rephrased and reposted exactly what I said. 

“Hand-picked” selections by Bubba and Freund. 

vs.

Danny has few people in mind and he’s in contact with them. 

The “various state hiring laws” aren’t particularly relevant to the actual selection. They are relevant to officially hiring someone.

Either way, Bubba stated the OC was going to have significant input into the hiring of the OL (and now WR coach). I'm not sure why you'd be up in arms about a "hand-picked" candidate. That's how pretty much how hiring an assistant coach goes. They will still get applicants that don't have previous connections with but guessing when you're job is on the line, you're going to go with someone you feel you can put your trust in rather than a completely unknown commodity.