SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS purple cows GAMEDAY THREAD (FRIDAY)

iluvdebbies

"Coatta was playing in his 118th college game and upped his career goal total to 19. Friday’s performance was his second hat trick, so nearly one-third of his goals have come in two games."

Senior. 16 career goals. Drops a hat trick on The University of North Dakota. In Ralph Engelstad Arena. Let that sink in.

• Upvote 2

A few positives tonight despite the loss...  overall effort was good and the boys found a way to finally put pucks in the back of the net.  Tomorrow should be interesting...  Mankato may be a top 5 team.  Certainly an argument can be made that they are a top ten team right now. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jk said:

At least we have a thread to look back at later in the year where everyone looks stupid for breaking their ankles jumping off the bandwagon eight days into the season.

So far we have Wilbur, Sioux Rube and scpa0305 that are off.  Stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

I was at the game and surprised at the number of empty seats. Havent been to a game in a couple of years, is that the new normal? 

Will they move rest of the season to Icon if a losing season continues? :blink: /s

Agree. Empty seats were very noticeable.

The only year I was in Grand Forks during the current rendition of the Ralph was the natty season, I saw Wiscosin, Colorado College, and Huntsville there.  The latter two the building probably had at least a couple thousand empty seats.  Wisconsin...can't say, don't remember much from that night other than UND won.

Can't imagine it's easy to fill up a building that size every night.  No judgement from me.  

6 hours ago, tnt said:

So far we have Wilbur, Sioux Rube and scpa0305 that are off.  Stay tuned.

Off the wagon?  It’s game 3, well maybe four. Not yet buddy.  Concerned though that’s for sure.  Non conference record isn’t looking good.  As far as ncaas go, they’re already in a decent sized hole.  No way MSU can hold that 7 ranking, not with the schedule they play.

Will head back up tonight to watch game 2 of this series. If nothing else at least the game last night was very entertaining from a fan/viewers perspective even though one wasn't expecting a win. At a minimum I'll be hoping for the same entertaining game tonight.

12 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Spooner for Kato is a North Dakota kid.  From Williston and moved to Bismarck. Pretty solid player. To bad UND had no interest in him. He’s come a long ways since I coached him on a AAA team for 2 summers when he was squirt age. 

My wife grew up near his family in Williston.  Didn't always look like the most talented player, but has indeed made himself into a good college hockey player.

Everyone take a deep breath and relax.  We are only 3 games into the season, so let's not panic.  

We need to remember the UND tradition of having loud, passionate, and educated college hockey fans.  Let's not start looking and acting like goofer fans.  The fact that the college hockey landscape has evened out and there are no longer "easy" games every other weekend is a positive.  That being said - we still are a top destination for top talent, and these are some of the most talented kids at this level.  Let's enjoy watching them learn, grow, and enjoy college hockey.  In the end we will be competing for a spot in the national tournament, and they will, once again, provide a lot of entertainment here in small town North Dakota!

Go Hawks!  

Still love old time Fighting Sioux hockey and will remember the name with pride.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, UND WFO78 said:

Everyone take a deep breath and relax.  We are only 3 games into the season, so let's not panic.  

We need to remember the UND tradition of having loud, passionate, and educated college hockey fans.  Let's not start looking and acting like goofer fans.  The fact that the college hockey landscape has evened out and there are no longer "easy" games every other weekend is a positive.  That being said - we still are a top destination for top talent, and these are some of the most talented kids at this level.  Let's enjoy watching them learn, grow, and enjoy college hockey.  In the end we will be competing for a spot in the national tournament, and they will, once again, provide a lot of entertainment here in small town North Dakota!

Go Hawks!  

Still love old time Fighting Sioux hockey and will remember the name with pride.

Yes, however the reality that is the pairwise is something that is VERY QUICKLY becoming a real concern.

The NCHC is not off to great start so even conference wins are going to help less.

Its early but in truth....The next 4 games will mean the difference in competing for a tourney or all hopes on the frozen faceoff.

There was clearly more polish on the kato side. Most of their goals were off the rush. I was encouraged by our speed in the offensive zone. The guys won a lot of races. Need to bear down and put it all together. There were some real bad reads by Thome, and I'd bet Scheel gets the start tonight.