SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

25 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Life's tough, I know. But sometimes you have to buck up and be a big boy or big girl. In this era of "Me Too" ... it's becoming way too common for folks to run crying to the media when they feel they weren't treated nicely. 

Kind of like when Kennedy publicly blamed low morale on the legislature a few months back while Kennedy was doing his best to get out of UND?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Where can I lay down a bet that Kennedy is holding the short straw and will be leaving UND before this time next year?  Will Vegas give me decent odds?

Kennedy overcame the Minnesota DFL machine three times, so I'm pretty sure he can navigate this one...

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Kind of like when Kennedy publicly blamed low morale on the legislature a few months back while Kennedy was doing his best to get out of UND?

Well, he wasn't wrong. It is certainly in the mix and not helping morale. Truth hurts and the SENATE APPROPRIATIONS CHAIR  has thin skin. I bet Gjovig made sure ol' Ray got wind of that sound bite real quick. :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

One could argue that trying to renegotiate a bad contract at a time when UND is “looking for money” would make sense.

For those reading headlines, this doesn’t come off looking good for Kennedy. Brad definitely doesn’t have an agenda though, no ulterior motive at all.

C3CC659A-6F66-48FE-B32E-AFDAEBD2AAF8.jpeg

Sheesh. She sure isn't a looker.

31 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

He's not. Trust me, I've been on the receiving end of some pointed criticism from the man. He is passionate and demanding and wants nothing but the best for UND, within the external restrictions laid out before him.  Never once have I walked out of a frank one-on-one with the man, feeling degraded, demoralized or that our encounter was anything short of professional.  If you like the status quo, things may be uncomfortable for you, if you're a motivated go-getter with an entrepreneurial mindset, it's not exactly a cakewalk but it's much smoother. 

Like I said earlier, I have no opinion on this subject until I hear both sides. I’m not arguing your opinion on Kennedy, I was simply pointing out my experience as well as information that I am involved in regarding his attitude towards major UND donors. Please respect my opinion before jumping up the conclusion that I’m relaying “garbage” information.

That said, everyone has their views, some bias some not, and this article (if mostly true) aligns directly as to how Kennedy is acting towards other donors. This may lead to more stories/experiences UND Donors have dealt with. Or it may not.

Regardless, I understand and respect your viewpoint as it seems that you have had personal interactions with him. Mine and obviously others have had different experiences. You dig?

I might have missed it in the article but were these "she said, he said" conversations face to face or via phone calls as Kennedy was waiting for his interview at UCF?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Some say in how the money is used? Sure.

Wanting a constructive relationship with the institution you are donating to ? Absolutely.

Running to the media whenever someone dares (DARES, I tell you) to question something in the current contract and DARES to suggest making it better for the institution that someone is paid to lead and look out for? Hell to the No!

MISS McGarry is acting like a spoiled, entitled brat who inherited everything from her father. Ralph Engelstad didn't make a fortune in business by treating people like peons and threatening them in the media and/or in person. He built REA to make UND "the Notre Dame of college hockey". He didn't build it so that him and his family could run UND from Vegas.

His daughter seems to have forgotten that. And that is sad.

I understand that, but then you could also say she is not entitled to make and donations, or continue ongoing donations. Maybe UND is acting slightly entitled because of the luxuries provide by the Engelstad's?

And I would say MISS McGarry is acting like someone in business. They are also looking out for their best interests and that of their business, which generate money that gets reinvest back with UND.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

I understand that, but then you could also say she is not entitled to make and donations, or continue ongoing donations. Maybe UND is acting slightly entitled because of the luxuries provide by the Engelstad's?

If she doesn't want to donate anymore, that is her choice. Of course, once you play that card, you cannot play it again. Unless that rumor of REA being torn down is actually true........:silly:

If UND is getting screwed financially by REA, Inc., then Kennedy is right to point it out and ask for some changes.

People who give money to an institution should do so because they believe in it and want it to succeed.....NOT because they think it will make them de-facto President.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like, like Engelstad family and their foundation has moved past the ' nickname/logo' issue..good for  them.  Now if the Herald and other 'Fighting Susie sniffers' could do the same,,..and pull in one direction for UND!!!! 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, DB Cooper said:

Like I said earlier, I have no opinion on this subject until I hear both sides. I’m not arguing your opinion on Kennedy, I was simply pointing out my experience as well as information that I am involved in regarding his attitude towards major UND donors. Please respect my opinion before jumping up the conclusion that I’m relaying “garbage” information.

That said, everyone has their views, some bias some not, and this article (if mostly true) aligns directly as to how Kennedy is acting towards other donors. This may lead to more stories/experiences UND Donors have dealt with. Or it may not.

Regardless, I understand and respect your viewpoint as it seems that you have had personal interactions with him. Mine and obviously others have had different experiences. You dig?

Like a mofo backhoe!  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, John W. said:

Sounds like, like Engelstad family and their foundation has moved past the ' nickname/logo' issue..good for  them.  Now if the Herald and other 'Fighting Susie sniffers' could do the same,,..and pull in one direction for UND!!!! 

If by "moved past the nickname/logo issue" you mean they have done nothing more than the bare minimum required by the NCAA and very little to promote the new name and logo...you are right on! ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

And I would say MISS McGarry is acting like someone in business. They are also looking out for their best interests and that of their business, which generate money that gets reinvest back with UND.

The foundation board on which she is one member oversees an arena with the mission of supporting UND athletics.  If UND athletics is unhappy with the way the arena is being run, the members of the foundation board should probably do some self-reflection.

• Upvote 4

I would like to see both sides of this story. As of now it appears we are only seeing Ms. McGarry's side of it. This may well be the beginning of the end for Kennedy, but until then I have questions. The Herald has demonstrated over the past few years that they, like most other media, has an agenda. That is fine and is their right. That said, I will question stories like this until all the facts and information comes to light because all too often new outlets are more interested in getting the scoop first over getting the facts 100% correct. Situations like this are rarely as they seem on the surface.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I would like to see both sides of this story. As of now it appears we are only seeing Ms. McGarry's side of it. This may well be the beginning of the end for Kennedy, but until then I have questions. The Herald has demonstrated over the past few years that they, like most other media, has an agenda. That is fine and is their right. That said, I will question stories like this until all the facts and information comes to light because all too often new outlets are more interested in getting the scoop first over getting the facts 100% correct. Situations like this are rarely as they seem on the surface.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4444060-und-president-mark-kennedy-releases-statement-regarding-engelstad

18 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

The Herald trying to sell newspapers.

Yup.

Weren't they "anti Ralph" because of a nickname. Now they're "pro-Kris"? 

And weren't they "anti Springfest" for a while. Now that it's gone ... 

The Herald gonna The Herald. Makes ya dizzy. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yup.

Weren't they "anti Ralph" because of a nickname. Now they're "pro-Kris"? 

And weren't they "anti Springfest" for a while. Now that it's gone ... 

The Herald gonna The Herald. Makes ya dizzy.