SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

24 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

AHL team would be through the door faster than poop through a goo... Hawk?  UND would play in .....the Icon?

UND without the Ralph is Mayville State with a stagnant coulee.

AHL team? I don't think Grand Forks could even support a ECHL team. Best case, USHL. However, it's not like Scheels arena sells out every Force game and has 3x the market size and smaller arena.   

The hockey relationship us going nowhere, terms just might change for each sude. The only stumbling block is basketball and volleyball which can be played over at the Alerus. However, once again what will REA do to place people in the Betty? Not only will the still pay for operating cost, but also have signifcant opportunity  cost. Seems bad business idea. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Since I suspect neither of us were at the table, all we can do is speculate. My hunch is that Kennedy didn't lead with "Give me what I want or I'll sue you." But I could be wrong.

One thing we can probably agree on...there must be a heck of a lot of gravy in the current deal.

This has been going on for some time, so potential for tensions to build. Kennedy may trying to get more for the U, but it's not in the deal till 2030 when UND gets the improvements on the land.

Just now, Frozen4sioux said:

You have zero dam clue what the REA actually has meant and will mean for the future of Grand Forks. But hey lets shuck off the best thing that GF has for economic generation and put all your hopes on the economic impact of those 5 dates a year for football.   God damn thats stupid.

You seem to be loyal to them. Do you have inside information? Are you really willing to say it's "stupid" to suggest that they might not presently be acting in the best interests of UND? Why is it so easy to accept that Kennedy is in the wrong? I mean, he must have access to the financials, right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Oh boy. Just what we need. Can anything be easy for UND?

The timing for this is not good. We have some pretty tough financial years ahead without even dealing with this unexpected potential flair up.

The Herald has been pretty hard on Kennedy, can only imagine the premium ink they'll use tomorrow morning. Chat with Ralph's daughter, ouch.

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You seem to be loyal to them. Do you have inside information? Are you really willing to say it's "stupid" to suggest that they might not presently be acting in the best interests of UND? Why is it so easy to accept that Kennedy is in the wrong? I mean, he must have access to the financials, right?

A front page article pitting UND vs its largest benefactor is NOT good for UND, at all.  I would doubt any minor win in the contract for short term financial gain would compare to the shiytball of fury if this mess snowballs.

Never met an Engelstad, but I do know for a fact that the state in NO way will put up with any BS about funding needed in Forks or at UND if the mess causes real issues with private entities who are willingly funding multiple areas of athletic and academic and economic streams.

I would suggest Kennedy enter the front doors, bend the knee and kiss the bronzed foot of ol Ralph's statue, and beg this doesn't cost him his next few jobs too.

The next time a "Central Florida" is looking, that institution will want none of someone who pisses off teh donors for pittance, especially when the end game is in the University's favor.

• Upvote 2

With the anger brewing on here, it seems that a lot of people are breaking the cardinal rule.  This is business, not personal.  A legal threat is strategy, not malice.  Nobody is saying that the REA gift was not a watershed moment for UND and for Grand Forks, or that it wasn't insanely generous.

Hard to fault either side for looking out for itself.  Easier to fault REA if it turns out that they are stubbornly turning a blind eye to the University when there's an opportunity to help in fiscal crunch time by renegotiating.  Just as easy to fault UND if it hasn't done the right math and has made an unreasonable demand.

Whoever ran to the media is definitely worthy of blame.  A simple 'no comment' would have kept the dealings behind closed doors.

Again, business. Not personal.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Hey, mods.

This discussion really deserves its own thread. Having it parked here suggests that it is anti-Kennedy blather masquerading as concern about the relationship with REA.

regardless of the light in which we disagree on the framing of this issue.

It reeeelly is not a good thing for UND and right now is a bad time for it,

this probably does deserve its own thread as it will be a huge topic tomorrow.  I don't share your optimism for Kennedys image in this sloberknocker.

9 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Here's a hot take. The REA, frustrated that Kennedy was taking a harder line than they expected and fearful of the golden goose laying a couple fewer eggs, ran to the Herald with this story to test the waters of public opinion. What happens next will depend on the public's response. Either Kennedy will be hailed as a hero for bravely trying to right the ship by deftly renegotiating the one-sided REA contract albatross, OR the public will be outraged by Kennedy's cold-blooded assault on 'those wonderful Engelstads, who have done so much for UND and are (apparently) infallible and incapable of doing anything wrong.'

Someone on this board has the saying “follow the dollar”.  I imagine here it’s where the dollar stops.  Lots of $$$ for those who see the budget could be brought to light.  

Oh.........and it sounds like someone, possibly Kennedy or UND1983, forgot to tell the Engelstad Foundation that UND doesn't need their "Sioux" money cause donations have never been higher since the nickname was retired.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WiSioux said:

Anyone who picks a fight with their biggest donor is a moron. I think there is more to the story than we are being told because the two sides are telling a very different story.

I suppose you would also counsel a battered wife to stay with her abuser, because he gave her a really nice wedding ring 20 years ago?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I suppose you would also counsel a battered wife to stay with her abuser, because he gave her a really nice wedding ring 20 years ago?

I mostly enjoy your witty/clever posts but this one is "moronic". 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'd be perfectly fine watching the BB teams in the Alerus Center. In fact, I'd actually prefer it. More space and it would give UND even more of an opportunity to call the Alerus Center home. Actually, it could have a reciprocal effect and even improve UND football gamedays.  

Alerus Center - Home of UND Football AND Basketball - I like the sound of that. 

You'll say anything to throw a little hate towards anything relating to hockey, won't you?

• Upvote 4