SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

16 minutes ago, John W. said:

Not trying to 'punk' anyone....but tonight on BTN....Ohio State/Michigan State and on ESPNU …..Minnesota/Penn State.....my comments of awhile back....'revenue stream of the future is television...not necessarily butts in an arena'....plus kids like playing on TV where friends/family can watch them from....wherever......

Lol

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

Didn't WMU enter their series with UND having one of the worst defenses and GAA% in the country?
That one didn't end up so well for UND.

Hopefully their series against Canisius goes better than that.

Anything less than a sweep is unacceptable. 

12 hours ago, GDPritch said:

God forbid we make yet another mediocre/average goalie/defense look all-star caliber in one of the two games.  New Year's resolution, it ain't gonna happen!.

33 minutes ago, John W. said:

Not trying to 'punk' anyone....but tonight on BTN....Ohio State/Michigan State and on ESPNU …..Minnesota/Penn State.....my comments of awhile back....'revenue stream of the future is television...not necessarily butts in an arena'....plus kids like playing on TV where friends/family can watch them from....wherever......

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, John W. said:

You must've misunderstood the title of this thread.

• Upvote 1

Love the 'personal ' attacks ...feed me....regarding TV v. Attendance in arenas....BIG brought in Maryland and Rutgers, not for their stellar programs, but for the DC/NY/NJ  market... Some of you are like 'democrats attacking Trump'......your hatred for the Gophers borders on _______________(fill in the appropriate psychological term)

Yep, I do what I want, when I want....48 years in the work force afforded me that!!!!!!!

• Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, John W. said:

Love the 'personal ' attacks ...feed me....regarding TV v. Attendance in arenas....BIG brought in Maryland and Rutgers, not for their stellar programs, but for the DC/NY/NJ  market... Some of you are like 'democrats attacking Trump'......your hatred for the Gophers borders on _______________(fill in the appropriate psychological term)

Yep, I do what I want, when I want....48 years in the work force afforded me that!!!!!!!

Why would you post about the BIG in a thread that is clearly dedicated to UND's 2018-2019 season? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to put in the the non-UND college hockey thread? At worst you're trolling and at best you put it in the wrong thread by mistake.

2 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Why would you post about the BIG in a thread that is clearly dedicated to UND's 2018-2019 season? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to put in the the non-UND college hockey thread? At worst you're trolling and at best you put it in the wrong thread by mistake.

The guy is just starved for attention...apparently not getting it at home so he comes here...sad.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Will there be more hockey players than fans at the OSU-Sparty game???

Stay tuned!!!!

Minny-Penn St may give them a run for their money...of course butts in the seats doesn't matter when you have tv revenue...I mean who would want to play in front of a rowdy, packed home crowd? :)

11 hours ago, John W. said:

Ahh, that's why the Goofers are where they're at now.  Yup, recruits just love seeing 5,000 empty maroon seats but knowing there are a buku multitude of paying cable/webstream consumers.   Yup, it's sure working out well.

I'm trying my best to really wrap my head around what has happened to this program since they won the title in 2016. The year after, they barely made the tournament, underachieved given they had two Top 10 players in the country (Boesers injury hurt obviously), but I chalked it up to a Championship hangover. Things got slightly worse the next year, missed the tournament by a game (after making it by a game the year before). We saw some records being broken (biggest 3rd period lead given up in a decade and a half), a string of two goal leads that they squandered the second half. They were in position going into Christmas break to make the tournament, in fact, I would have never thought they wouldn't after their last 1st half series against SCSU. This year, the ups and downs were more drastic in the first half then they have been in a long time. Still, going into Christmas break, they sat at #16 in the pairwise and there was hope for the 2nd half. 

I'm trying my best to be level headed about where they sit after the most disappointing non-conference series I can ever remember. This season has been a roller coaster ride and we have to hope that we are currently at the bottom. We do have a strong enough sample size to know some things for certain. (1) UND has a very solid Freshman Goaltender (2) UND has a strong defensive core (3) Worst collection of goal scorers in decades (multiple) (4) Worst special teams play in decades (multiple). 

We've been hit over the head by the local media in terms of SOG and time of possession, I'm with the majority, where I'm sick of hearing it, because they aren't translating into goals and wins. I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth, because as frustrating as it's been, it's much better (if you're looking glass half full), then losing and getting out shot / losing time of possession. Do I think things are going to turn around offensively and they'll become a high scoring offense the second half? No. I also don't think they can get any worse, that's a safe bet. Their shooting percentage is beyond ridiculous and as much as we talk about them shooting directly into the goaltenders chest (which does happen), some of their shots are going to stop hitting the post, some of their shots are going to start hitting wide open nets, or getting a lucky bounce. 

I'm not saying I agree with it, but Berry isn't going anywhere after this year, so all we can really do is hope they turn things around. Their backs are against the wall right now, the fans know it, the coaching staff and players know it. I'm hoping for a push back and will until the season is over. There's still a lot of time left in the season and as bad as it looks right now, they are still .500 and 22nd in the pairwise. Not good or acceptable, but also a long ways from having no shot. 

It starts now though, they need a sweep against CC. Do that and go from there. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, AJS said:

I'm trying my best to really wrap my head around what has happened to this program since they won the title in 2016. The year after, they barely made the tournament, underachieved given they had two Top 10 players in the country (Boesers injury hurt obviously), but I chalked it up to a Championship hangover. Things got slightly worse the next year, missed the tournament by a game (after making it by a game the year before). We saw some records being broken (biggest 3rd period lead given up in a decade and a half), a string of two goal leads that they squandered the second half. They were in position going into Christmas break to make the tournament, in fact, I would have never thought they wouldn't after their last 1st half series against SCSU. This year, the ups and downs were more drastic in the first half then they have been in a long time. Still, going into Christmas break, they sat at #16 in the pairwise and there was hope for the 2nd half. 

I'm trying my best to be level headed about where they sit after the most disappointing non-conference series I can ever remember. This season has been a roller coaster ride and we have to hope that we are currently at the bottom. We do have a strong enough sample size to know some things for certain. (1) UND has a very solid Freshman Goaltender (2) UND has a strong defensive core (3) Worst collection of goal scorers in decades (multiple) (4) Worst special teams play in decades (multiple). 

We've been hit over the head by the local media in terms of SOG and time of possession, I'm with the majority, where I'm sick of hearing it, because they aren't translating into goals and wins. I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth, because as frustrating as it's been, it's much better (if you're looking glass half full), then losing and getting out shot / losing time of possession. Do I think things are going to turn around offensively and they'll become a high scoring offense the second half? No. I also don't think they can get any worse, that's a safe bet. Their shooting percentage is beyond ridiculous and as much as we talk about them shooting directly into the goaltenders chest (which does happen), some of their shots are going to stop hitting the post, some of their shots are going to start hitting wide open nets, or getting a lucky bounce. 

I'm not saying I agree with it, but Berry isn't going anywhere after this year, so all we can really do is hope they turn things around. Their backs are against the wall right now, the fans know it, the coaching staff and players know it. I'm hoping for a push back and will until the season is over. There's still a lot of time left in the season and as bad as it looks right now, they are still .500 and 22nd in the pairwise. Not good or acceptable, but also a long ways from having no shot. 

It starts now though, they need a sweep against CC. Do that and go from there. 

Image result for thats a bingo gif

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND will need to win the Frozen Faceoff to make the playoffs with it's least talented team since entering the NCHC in a tournament they have yet to win

I've heard this a lot, but I'd like to know if it's true. Does Dahl's PWR website do a predictor? I feel like with DU, UMD, SCSU, WMU still on our schedule, we have room to move up. Of course, we have to win those games lol.

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've heard this a lot, but I'd like to know if it's true. Does Dahl's PWR website do a predictor? I feel like with DU, UMD, SCSU, WMU still on our schedule, we have room to move up. Of course, we have to win those games lol.

CHN has a predictor. I just ran if UND wins 7of8 against CC and UNO(had the loss at CC) and splits with umD-SCSU-DU-WMU. They would end up 12th in the pairwise.

**NO OTHER RESULTS FACTORED IN**

1 minute ago, iluvdebbies said:

CHN has a predictor. I just ran if UND wins 7of8 against CC and UNO(had the loss at CC) and splits with umD-SCSU-DU-WMU. They would end up 12th in the pairwise.

**NO OTHER RESULTS FACTORED IN**

Sweet. Thanks for doing that. Maybe I'll get bored at work today and run a bunch of scenarios lol.

Goals by Forwards:

Gardner 8
Mismash 5
Kawaguchi 3
Senden 3

This means that last minute roster add Mark Senden is outscoring Jones, Smith, Hoff, Adams, JJ, Hain, Johnson Weatherby, Keane, Yon, and Bowen. (At least Jones missed 7 games.) 

Worse? JBD, Kiersted, and Poolman each have 4 goals. Look where they fall into that list. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Goals by Forwards:

Gardner 8
Mismash 5
Kawaguchi 3
Senden 3

This means that last minute roster add Mark Senden is outscoring Jones, Smith, Hoff, Adams, JJ, Hain, Johnson Weatherby, Keane, Yon, and Bowen. (At least Jones missed 7 games.) 

Worse? JBD, Kiersted, and Poolman each have 4 goals. Look where they fall into that list. 

It’s really bad right now.