SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

A long hard stare at this roster going into 2019-2020 has to be done.  

Allow me to be more specific: 

If you are on a lunar scoring cycle* you're being stared at in my world. 

*There have been 3 full moons since the season started. Look at how many players with 3 or fewer goals

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Allow me to be more specific: 

If you are on a lunar scoring cycle* you're being stared at in my world. 

*There has been 3 full moons since the season started. Look at how many players with 3 or fewer goals

Our leading goal scorer has 8 goals, 5 of which were scored in 2 games. (Vs Wisconsin, vs UAA)

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

It was in the commitment article from his junior team. He’s a late 1999, turned 19 in October. Obviously he could come in with any unexpected departures but the plan is 2020-21 season. 

Haha unexpected departures.

in all seriousness, Gaber needs another year of juniors.  He may be more of a grinder...i noticed his pp numbers are low.  It would be a good idea to continue to develop 

30 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha unexpected departures.

in all seriousness, Gaber needs another year of juniors.  He may be more of a grinder...i noticed his pp numbers are low.  It would be a good idea to continue to develop 

Yeah the only unexpected departures will be if Berry makes some hard choices to free up some room.

4 minutes ago, franchise said:

Agreed.  If he wasn't willing cut dead weight for Donovan, not sure why he would be interested in doing so now.  Although, I do think there is a little more to that story.

Yup, he could have cut scholarship dollars to those unproductive players (we know who they are), to bring in an extra forward. It’s not like we’ve had injury issues at forward recently or anything. :whistling:

That said, most of this rosters dead weight will be seniors next year, and hopefully most are riding pine. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yup, he could have cut scholarship dollars to those unproductive players (we know who they are), to bring in an extra forward. It’s not like we’ve had injury issues at forward recently or anything. :whistling:

That said, most of this rosters dead weight will be seniors next year, and hopefully most are riding pine. 

I still wish they could find a grad transfer or someone with a bunch of Junior experience that has a scoring pedigree, to complement the young guys they have coming in.  Obviously easier said than done, but our program is attractive enough that we should always be able to maneuver bringing in guys that would add skills we could always use.  

17 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So no Randklev and no Gaber.  I still think that Johnson, Yon, and Keane sit based on who is coming in until the injury bug hits.

I would take Keane over Bowen. Bowen has 3 goals all year (2 in one game that were weak goals), has 3 major penalties, is a horrible penalty killer because he is too soft and pulls an "Ole" every time he looks like he's attempting to block a shot. I would take Yon over him because at least he's physical, is good on penalty kill and doesn't take stupid penalties. Neither Bowen or Yon have offensive abilities. Johnson would not be a good MIAC player and should not be on this roster. 

22 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I would take Keane over Bowen. Bowen has 3 goals all year (2 in one game that were weak goals), has 3 major penalties, is a horrible penalty killer because he is too soft and pulls an "Ole" every time he looks like he's attempting to block a shot. I would take Yon over him because at least he's physical, is good on penalty kill and doesn't take stupid penalties. Neither Bowen or Yon have offensive abilities. Johnson would not be a good MIAC player and should not be on this roster. 

Dixon Bowen is a horrible penalty killer and is less physical than Yon? I will disagree with you on those points, emphatically. Keane does seem to have higher offensive ability, but it's certainly not by much. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Dixon Bowen is a horrible penalty killer and is less physical than Yon? I will disagree with you on those points, emphatically. Keane does seem to have higher offensive ability, but it's certainly not by much. 

I’d rather see Keane in the lineup over Bowen and Yon. Those two will be seniors next year and have shown little to no improvement since they were freshmen. They’ll be gone in a year, so I’d rather think what will be more beneficial long term. 

I don’t think Bowen is an awful penalty killer, actually think he’s pretty decent, but if he’s always in the box it doesn’t do us any good. Would like to see the penalties decrease, (and not just for him, seems like it’s always the same guys taking the dump penalty) goes without saying... 

13 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’d rather see Keane in the lineup over Bowen and Yon. Those two will be seniors next year and have shown little to no improvement since they were freshmen. They’ll be gone in a year, so I’d rather think what will be more beneficial long term. 

I don’t think Bowen is an awful penalty killer, actually think he’s pretty decent, but if he’s always in the box it doesn’t do us any good. Would like to see the penalties decrease, (and not just for him, seems like it’s always the same guys taking the dump penalty) goes without saying... 

I think Bowen's PK ability and speed (which we lack top to bottom) keeps him in the lineup. I do really like Keane, though. Yon does next to nothing, for me.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The fact that this is really a discussion should scare the crap out of Sioux fans.  Time for a change and Berry has shown absolutely no indication he gets it on any level. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Bowen is definitely not a bad penalty killer.  Is he great....no.  But he's not bad.  Lately he has taken some pretty stupid penalties, but the coaching staff just need to talk to him.  I highly doubt Keane will ever be a consistent college player.  He struggled mightily in a high scoring junior league (on a good team) as a 20 year old.  I think Keane is a great locker room guy and can fill in on a 4th line if we absolutely need him too.  When he gets called up he seems to buzz.....but eventually disappears.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

The fact that this is really a discussion should scare the crap out of Sioux fans.  Time for a change and Berry has shown absolutely no indication he gets it on any level. 

We're talking about the last potential forward in the lineup each week, not a top 6 player. All three of those players have a spot on NCAA rosters and to say these three aren't college hockey worthy is just wrong.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We're talking about the last potential forward in the lineup each week, not a top 6 player. All three of those players have a spot on NCAA rosters and to say these three aren't college hockey worthy is just wrong.

Have you looked at our top 6 scoring recently - not one in the top 50 NCAA scoring leaders - not one.  Our  "top 6" guys should be here and we should have some scorers on our top 6.  One point is that these are guys Berry is keeping on the roster instead of bringing in another scorer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

Have you looked at our top 6 scoring recently - not one in the top 50 NCAA scoring leaders - not one.  One point is that these are guys Berry is keeping on the roster instead of bringing in another scorer.

Buddy, until this happens or Bubbs gets fired, can we just chill out on this? We're talking about players on the current roster. Chip in if you have a point relevant to the discussion. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Buddy, until this happens or Bubbs gets fired, can we just chill out on this? We're talking about players on the current roster. Chip in if you have a point relevant to the discussion. 

The title of this thread is University of North Dakota Hockey 2018-19 season. And not your buddy, pal.

• Upvote 1