SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Caught me! I am certainly not the expert but will give it a try

tough physical defense

giving up less than  2 goals a game on the average 

a better than average goalie  with limited blind shots at him because the defense has cleared a view for him 

power play offense of in the upper 40% of teams

power play defense of in the upper 25%

limiting stupid unforced errors like passing in front of our own goalie

limiiting the amount of scoring into our own goal - limiting as in none

playing with energy for most of the game 

once we get the lead we keep it

when behind in the 3rd period we make a run at winning 

taking I’ll advised penalties - yes that is ND hockey 

- gave  it a shot  - fire away

:)

Thanks for a very nice effort.  Good qualities in a team.  

18 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Back 2 Back years of no UND players making any World Junior rosters....but don't worry the talent level isn't dropping off or anything.

There's reason for some excitement in the future, of next years potential freshman class, you have the following: This is under the assumption that the four forwards who we know signed NLI's come in and they bring in two defenseman (Frisch / Bast)

• 5 of the 6 taking part in the World Junior A tournament (other being member of the NTDP who aren't eligible)
  • All 6 are expected to be drafted (looking like 4 of the 6 in the first four rounds)
  • All 6 True Freshman (5 with 2 years of junior experience, Frisch with one)
  • 3 of the 4 freshman averaging over PPG currently as Seniors in HS (Caulfied is just off that pace, but playing for NTDP)

• Upvote 3

On 12/14/2018 at 10:36 PM, Cratter said:

Back 2 Back years of no UND players making any World Junior rosters....but don't worry the talent level isn't dropping off or anything.

This year it is, a bit. But, you've got your head in the sand if you're ignoring the incoming pipeline. It's pretty special.

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This year it is, a bit. But, you've got your head in the sand if you're ignoring the incoming pipeline. It's pretty special.

Also, can't we make the argument that Scheel could've been a member of the WJC team?

37 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Sure, but we're biased.  At the end of the day....he wasn't.

IRC, there's been other years where no one was selected to the WJC and UND still did okay. Next year, there could be 4-6 players on the WJC and UND will struggle to put a lineup together. To me, the WJC is a nice honor, but I am interested on what happens in March and April. 

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

IRC, there's been other years where no one was selected to the WJC and UND still did okay. Next year, there could be 4-6 players on the WJC and UND will struggle to put a lineup together. To me, the WJC is a nice honor, but I am interested on what happens in March and April. 

Oh absolutely.  When JBD was cut, it really didn't even bother me.  But looking back, I guess I remember hearing a ton of laughter when UofMN didn't have any players going etc.  We used to always have at least one guy going.  Whatever, need to make a nice second half run. 

The one thing about the WJC, is that it is a huge marketing tool for recruits.  If we sent players every year that would be nice (like the Boston schools typically do, and Michigan, etc.).  Again, I have seen a recruiting pipeline dry up a bit compared to the glory days of the earlier 2000's.  We need to get that back on track.  I do like some of our younger recruits...but I pay attention.  We're missing a ton too.  Back in the day if we wanted a kid we'd get him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Oh absolutely.  When JBD was cut, it really didn't even bother me.  But looking back, I guess I remember hearing a ton of laughter when UofMN didn't have any players going etc.  We used to always have at least one guy going.  Whatever, need to make a nice second half run. 

The one thing about the WJC, is that it is a huge marketing tool for recruits.  If we sent players every year that would be nice (like the Boston schools typically do, and Michigan, etc.).  Again, I have seen a recruiting pipeline dry up a bit compared to the glory days of the earlier 2000's.  We need to get that back on track.  I do like some of our younger recruits...but I pay attention.  We're missing a ton too.  Back in the day if we wanted a kid we'd get him.

Give me nine and I will be more than happy. 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

We've been getting some big time recruit and not missing on much, from what I've heard. 

On 12/14/2018 at 10:36 PM, Cratter said:

The IIHF U-20 tournament is based on age as well as talent. Some years, our freshmen and sophomores aren't young enough to participate. And remember, these are the best players in the world from each country. Very hard to get on that team.

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

IIRC, from '90-'95 (not exactly the glory years of UND hockey), we had seven players participate.  From '97-'00, maybe four of the most dominant years of UND hockey, we had exactly zero participants.  We had a bunch of players go in the early '80's, when the team had success in the NCAA's.  We had a bunch of players go during the first handful of Hak's years at the helm of the team and our lack of success at the end of the season caused many to argue in favor of the coach's dismissal.

I don't view participation, or lack thereof, in the world juniors as a bellweather for the health of the program.

Good points sir, I don’t either. 

Remember when the majority of the WJC team was made up Boston University players and they cruised to a national championsh... never mind.

We need all hands on deck for Canisius to ensure 2 W’s in our last NC series of the year. This team isn’t going to be mistaken for the 2015-16 team, but I believe we still have plenty of great moments to experience as fans this season. With some luck admittedly, that will include Buffalo this coming April. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Remember when the majority of the WJC team was made up Boston University players and they cruised to a national championsh... never mind.

We need all hands on deck for Canisius to ensure 2 W’s in our last NC series of the year. This team isn’t going to be mistaken for the 2015-16 team, but I believe we still have plenty of great moments to experience as fans this season. With some luck admittedly, that will include Buffalo this coming April. 

Lets just get through Canisius before we start talking about BuffaWingland

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

Not saying I disagree with your or question your judgment but I'll make my opinion as to whether the incoming pipeline is "pretty special" based on their performance on the ice (not on paper) after they've been at UND for a year or two.  The way this team has performed the last few years, how many draft picks we have doesn't necessarily seem to equate to performance on the ice (especially offensively). 

On 12/26/2018 at 8:39 AM, SJHovey said:

IIRC, from '90-'95 (not exactly the glory years of UND hockey), we had seven players participate.  From '97-'00, maybe four of the most dominant years of UND hockey, we had exactly zero participants.  We had a bunch of players go in the early '80's, when the team had success in the NCAA's.  We had a bunch of players go during the first handful of Hak's years at the helm of the team and our lack of success at the end of the season caused many to argue in favor of the coach's dismissal.

I don't view participation, or lack thereof, in the world juniors as a bellweather for the health of the program.

The tourney is a tish different now than it was in the 80s or 90s.  Also, so is our program and the types of recruits we go after.

11 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Not saying I disagree with your or question your judgment but I'll make my opinion as to whether the incoming pipeline is "pretty special" based on their performance on the ice (not on paper) after they've been at UND for a year or two.  The way this team has performed the last few years, how many draft picks we have doesn't necessarily seem to equate to performance on the ice (especially offensively). 

I've said this at least a dozen times on here... we've missed on one class (the current juniors other than Colton Poolman). Sophs are top contributors and freshmen look to be pretty dang good. It's not my judgement that our pipeline is pretty special, it's from scouts, coaches and draft rankers. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've said this at least a dozen times on here... we've missed on one class (the current juniors other than Colton Poolman). Sophs are top contributors and freshmen look to be pretty dang good. It's not my judgement that our pipeline is pretty special, it's from scouts, coaches and draft rankers. 

I blame Tyson Jost