SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

UND has struggled at World Arena the past two seasons, splitting with the Tigers each of the past two years. Two years ago, a really bad CC team’s only home win of the season was a 3-0 victory over North Dakota and then last year the two teams split their 4 games. CC is an improved team compared to last year but still not very high in the PWR so I’d say that series is as crucial if not more so than the Canisius series as conference points are also on the line. 

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

UND has struggled at World Arena the past two seasons, splitting with the Tigers each of the past two years. Two years ago, a really bad CC team’s only home win of the season was a 3-0 victory over North Dakota and then last year the two teams split their 4 games. CC is an improved team compared to last year but still not very high in the PWR so I’d say that series is as crucial if not more so than the Canisius series as conference points are also on the line. 

IIRC the CC goalie stopped 73 SOG in the 3-0 win.

#hotgoalie

#wearoutthecrest

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IIRC the CC goalie stopped 73 SOG in the 3-0 win.

#hotgoalie

#wearoutthecrest

Oh yah, I was there and I was so pissed! Wilkie rang iron three times in that game alone and I believe CC got 2 empty netters in the last minute of the game. UND deserved to win but Leclerc stood on his head. 

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Oh yah, I was there and I was so pissed! Wilkie rang iron three times in that game alone and I believe CC got 2 empty netters in the last minute of the game. UND deserved to win but Leclerc stood on his head. 

The floating tiger head was angry that day, my friends!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Didn't we have to sneak out a 1-0 win against Denver at the Frozen Faceoff to work our way in?

Yeah, that moved us off the bubble and into a 3rd seed. Had we not won that game it would’ve been a lot of scoreboard watching. 

Of the years of the NCHC, we were only comfortably in the tournament twice at the started of the Frozen Faceoff. The other 3 years were more stressful. 

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Need a good second half to visit Scheels Arena.

USCHO Division I Men's Poll - December 10

1 St. Cloud State
2 Massachusetts
3 Minnesota State
4 Minnesota Duluth
5 Quinnipiac
6 Notre Dame
7 Ohio State
8 Denver
9 Penn State
10 Providence
11 Northeastern
12 Bowling Green
13 North Dakota

Yeah, and this poll doesn't even matter...we have a little work to do to move up in the PairWise.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Yeah, and this poll doesn't even matter...we have a little work to do to move up in the PairWise.

Blackheart, you no doubt have a better hockey mind than I do, this is just the way our group follows the ratings of college hockey teams early in the season, and then we slowly give the PairWise more credibility as the season progresses - it's a lot of fun. Only time PairWise rules for us is the Sunday morning after all conference tourney games are completed. Look a Minnesota last season after B1G conference play (the Goofs were laughing in the PairWise as a shoe in), they lost out early in the B1G tourney and then the .0001 heart shot, dead gopher - no NCAA's!  Weeks later, Sandelin hits the grand slam!

I prefer the USCHO poll early in the season, used by a lot of media through out the season. I would say in early season it is closer to what will be the final product. The pollsters (USCHO) pick who they think is the better teams, kind of looking at the whole picture. Too early in the season for PairWise for me, (in short) this formula only takes into account games played and not what potential challenges lie ahead. The battle of conference games needs to be in progress for a while for PairWise to get my stronger attention, and then of coarse towards the end of the season very important.

I just did look up PairWise and we are 16th, I'll think USCHO at 13th is more accurate today.

Image result for green glass

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Being the house contrarian, I tend to look at KRACH. Yes, PWR is how they seed, but KRACH gives me a more objective feel than PWR or RPI. 

KRACH has UND at 10 right now. When I see a team that can split road at UMD and just miss a home sweep of DU that seems about right ... if they play the way they need to play. 

https://collegehockeyranked.com/rankings/krach/

Good points. 

I just took a look at our player stats...shockingly bad.  I know it should come across as obvious as they aren't a high scoring team.  But these numbers must be all time lows.

Gardner has 1 assist in 17 games played while receiving more ice time than most players in the country!  One assist.  Nuts.  Team needs to come together in the second half.  I still like this team and think they have the horses to make a playoff push.  Get healthy and get consistent.

3 hours ago, burd said:

What is that, exactly? 

Caught me! I am certainly not the expert but will give it a try

tough physical defense

giving up less than  2 goals a game on the average 

a better than average goalie  with limited blind shots at him because the defense has cleared a view for him 

power play offense of in the upper 40% of teams

power play defense of in the upper 25%

limiting stupid unforced errors like passing in front of our own goalie

limiiting the amount of scoring into our own goal - limiting as in none

playing with energy for most of the game 

once we get the lead we keep it

when behind in the 3rd period we make a run at winning 

taking I’ll advised penalties - yes that is ND hockey 

- gave  it a shot  - fire away

:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1