SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Curious what’s going on with this program the past two years.  It’s not the talent because many of those boys could have played for many high end hockey schools. It just seems so many of the players have been underachieving lately.  

At the very least, we have solid talent.  But as a team we are so very average.  We’ll beat a high end team here and there but we get swept by below average teams.  It’s very early, but it’s probably about time to get worried about the pairwise.  Swept at home against WMU, loss to Miami at home, loss and tie against BSU, etc

Starting to question the ability of the coaches to get the most out of these kids.

These kids have talent, as has been pointed out, many are drafted, most could have played for the ither big programs.

We have to fix whatever is causing these gaps in capabilities and performance. This keeps up and the program can end up with a reputation of lack of development and we will lose and lose out on future prospects.

Whatever is needed to correct this problem, id like to see it happen ASAP so the program can rebuild.

I like bubs he's a great guy, but If this cant be fixed, he could end up being a great guy somewhere else.

At this point I dont see any possible way Shaw needs to be a part of this coaching staff, and for bubs sake it may be better to part ways sooner r as ther than later.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Starting to question the ability of the coaches to get the most out of these kids.

These kids have talent, as has been pointed out, many are drafted, most could have played for the ither big programs.

We have to fix whatever is causing these gaps in capabilities and performance. This keeps up and the program can end up with a reputation of lack of development and we will lose and lose out on future prospects.

Whatever is needed to correct this problem, id like to see it happen ASAP so the program can rebuild.

I like bubs he's a great guy, but If this cant be fixed, he could end up being a great guy somewhere else.

At this point I dont see any possible way Shaw needs to be a part of this coaching staff, and for bubs sake it may be better to part ways sooner r as ther than later.

I don’t buy that excuse that Shaw missed the game because of a recruiting visit.  That has the be the worst excuse ever.  That just doesn’t happen. Who were they recruiting, Jack Hughes?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

This is what all the Fire Hak people wanted. 1 national championship and then years of mediocrity

For the record, I never said that and I would disagree with anyone who did.

That being said, it is a false choice (years of success without titles vs. one title and years of mediocrity). This isn't about giving up NCAA titles in exchange for 25+ wins each year. It's about looking like the worst team in the country when they have the talent to be so much more.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

For the record, I never said that and I would disagree with anyone who did.

That being said, it is a false choice (years of success without titles vs. one title and years of mediocrity). This isn't about giving up NCAA titles in exchange for 25+ wins each year. It's about looking like the worst team in the country when they have the talent to be so much more.

Well said.  Although I would still say those Hak teams had better recruiting classes, more were early on off the blais trail though 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well said.  Although I would still say those Hak teams had better recruiting classes, more were early on off the blais trail though 

Honest question, how many of the forwards on this team are still left over Hak recruits?  (Yes, I know that Berry won a title with Hak guys......but Hak couldn't win the big one with Hak guys so can't really hold that against Berry).  Possible that Hak left the cupboard a little bare?

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Honest question, how many of the forwards on this team are still left over Hak recruits?  (Yes, I know that Berry won a title with Hak guys......but Hak couldn't win the big one with Hak guys so can't really hold that against Berry).  Possible that Hak left the cupboard a little bare?

Not sure I’d say that either.  That ‘16 team was loaded.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

3.5 years after he left...”blame Hakstol.”

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

3.5 years after he left...”blame Hakstol.”

Just a question that since you don't know the answer to that perhaps someone else can help with.  Since most recruits play juniors for 1-2 years after committing.....and Berry is starting year 4.....the much maligned JR and SR class (at least as it pertains to offense) would have been recruited under Hakstol.  Doesn't let Berry off the hook either but you take a slump at the end of the Hakstol years and couple that with a slow start Berry's first couple years and this is the result.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:48 PM, Blackheart said:

Not sure where to put this but what the hell...

Today's Heraldo had this gem of a story...

http://grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4529371-gophers-notebook-lines-changing-early-season-data-rolls

Why the hell am I reading about Motzko and the Gopher line combinations in the Herald?  Who gives a shi+ about those guys?  If I want to read about Gofer hockey I'll pick up a copy of the Minnesota Daily or Kowalski's Weekly Shopper. ;)

Haven't read the Heraldo for a week, been deer hunting.  Hopefully this is not the new plan, they've been putting Bizon FB in for a few years now. It's frustrating!