SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

I guess I'm still confident in this team.  There are certainly many issues, but the D is very good, and the goaltending has largely been fine.   They could be sitting a lot better, but there is a ton of season left.  Reminds me of a team 5-6 years ago that was written off by most on here that ended up in the frozen four.  I'll let this play out a bit more before casting judgment.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I guess I'm still confident in this team.  There are certainly many issues, but the D is very good, and the goaltending has largely been fine.   They could be sitting a lot better, but there is a ton of season left.  Reminds me of a team 5-6 years ago that was written off by most on here that ended up in the frozen four.  I'll let this play out a bit more before casting judgment.

They definitely have shown they can play, but the woe is me attitude displayed when things didn't go their way last weekend makes me wonder if they have the mental fortitude to go on a run against good teams.  Let's face it, Miami on the road and Western at home should not yield a 1-3 record, especially when you've got the likes of Duluth and Denver right around the corner.  Sweep this weekend, split in Duluth and I think they can get some steam going, but they have to believe they are a good enough team to do that. 

Selfish was a word thrown around by Colton and Coach Berry a lot in the postgame interviews and I'm guessing there were a few players they had in mind. The team better be having some real discussions about getting every single f'in player on board moving forward. You're either all in or go find somewhere else to under perform.

I'm trying to better ride out of the waves of the season, especially when it comes to weekends like the last two. Even when looking at the last two, Saturday was definitely an outlier. This is a team that is great defensively and has strong goaltending. That *should* keep them in every game this year. In fact, what we've seen is outside of the Mankato series and Saturday night against Western (outlier), this team has always looked stronger than its opponent. Offensively, overall its been a disaster. Trying to take emotion out of it, it just can't continue to be as bad as its been.

Moving forward, there's still more than enough time to right the ship. It starts this weekend against UAA, the good news is they've actually faired ok out of conference and if they win their remaining four (they should), then they'll finish with a nice out conference record.

59 minutes ago, tnt said:

They definitely have shown they can play, but the woe is me attitude displayed when things didn't go their way last weekend makes me wonder if they have the mental fortitude to go on a run against good teams.  Let's face it, Miami on the road and Western at home should not yield a 1-3 record, especially when you've got the likes of Duluth and Denver right around the corner.  Sweep this weekend, split in Duluth and I think they can get some steam going, but they have to believe they are a good enough team to do that. 

The scary part about blowing these last three games to so-called inferior opponents is that there is a strong possibility of being 1-5 in conference after next weekend in Duluth with Denver the following weekend at home. That is one large hole to be in to start out the conference year!

33 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IF anyone actually watched the games this weekend the level on the "Compete Meter" was at "Don't Give a S**t" for the last 4 periods the team played. I could call out at least 6 guys that I wouldn't play this coming weekend due to their effort this past weekend.

#culture

#culture is something that seems to be thrown out there a lot without a whole lot of meaning behind it.  The last few years a lot of the players and coaches say all the right things after a loss or bad performance, but many times it becomes just lip service.   Like I said, I can't remember a time since the early 90's when the team played without any swagger and were so easily discouraged after falling behind.  That is not the culture I remember.  I hear more excuses about bad luck or bounces than ownership of what happens after those bounces.   We will see from here on out whether this is the new norm, or if they can suck it up and truly represent the culture that has been established here. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm trying to better ride out of the waves of the season, especially when it comes to weekends like the last two. Even when looking at the last two, Saturday was definitely an outlier. This is a team that is great defensively and has strong goaltending. That *should* keep them in every game this year. In fact, what we've seen is outside of the Mankato series and Saturday night against Western (outlier), this team has always looked stronger than its opponent. Offensively, overall its been a disaster. Trying to take emotion out of it, it just can't continue to be as bad as its been.

Moving forward, there's still more than enough time to right the ship. It starts this weekend against UAA, the good news is they've actually faired ok out of conference and if they win their remaining four (they should), then they'll finish with a nice out conference record.

I agree, the problem usually is the non-conference record, but right now they have put themselves in an unenviable position of needing to split at the very least in Duluth.  I think someone made the point that up until the second game against Western, that if they got to 3 goals, they would have been 7-1-1.   The problem is they need to start getting to 3 goals on a consistent basis, and they need to start it now.  

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Sweep this weekend, split in Duluth and I think they can get some steam going, but they have to believe they are a good enough team to do that. 

I'm guessing they get outscored by a minimum of 2-3 goals each night against Duluth.
This team couldn't sweep Miami and couldn't even get an even strength goal against one of the worst defensive teams in the country.

I honestly anticipate starting the NCHC conference play with a 1-7 record after the Duluth and Denver series.  I'd love for this team to get back on track, but their next couple NCHC opponents won't make that easy at all.

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'm guessing they get outscored by a minimum of 2-3 goals each night against Duluth.
This team couldn't sweep Miami and couldn't even get an even strength goal against one of the worst defensive teams in the country.

I honestly anticipate starting the NCHC conference play with a 1-7 record after the Duluth and Denver series.  I'd love for this team to get back on track, but their next couple NCHC opponents won't make that easy at all.

Unless they totally unravel, I don't see starting off 1-7.   They could get beat by Duluth each night, but I am hoping that the team that plays well defensively and limits chances makes a rebound.  After all, Minnesota did tie and beat Duluth, so they are not unbeatable, but they can't play like Saturday or they won't beat anybody. 

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Our start this year looks a lot like Duluth's last year, including.....loss and tie to Bemidji.....split at Miami....ended first half with 3-5 conference record. At worst we have 2-5 conference record at break. I see us going 4-2 over the next three weekends.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

Unless they totally unravel, I don't see starting off 1-7.   They could get beat by Duluth each night, but I am hoping that the team that plays well defensively and limits chances makes a rebound.  After all, Minnesota did tie and beat Duluth, so they are not unbeatable, but they can't play like Saturday or they won't beat anybody. 

I think the unravel commenced with Saturday's performance.  :blink:

4 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Our start this year looks a lot like Duluth's last year, including.....loss and tie to Bemidji.....split at Miami....ended first half with 3-5 conference record. At worst we have 2-5 conference record at break. I see us going 4-2 over the next three weekends.

4-2 over the next 3 weekends would be extremely impressive.  They'd need a confidence-building rebound weekend against UAA to start.  We'll see how they look this weekend.
If they can score any even strength goals, that'd be a huge step.  And improve that PP a bit.  :D

22 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They’ll get up for duluth. They’ll most likely win Friday lose Saturday. However if they lose Friday I think they’ll get swept 

Just now, scpa0305 said:

They’ll get up for duluth. They’ll most likely win Friday lose Saturday. However if they lose Friday I think they’ll get swept 

... and that might be part of the problem, who they do, and who they don't get up for!   I thought that would be a thing of the past not making the tournament last year.   It's one thing to work halfway hard, it's another to be totally into a game like they were against Minnesota.  

55 minutes ago, franchise said:

I wish more saturday games started with hope for a sweep and less praying for a split

Agreed.  Not fun times right now.  But...whatever you do.....do not go to the overall scoring leaders page at USCHO.com.  I made that mistake earlier today.  I remember I used to do that weekly.  For some reason I peeked and feel much worse about the boys this year.