SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Obviously I’m just one person’s opinion, but I didn’t find myself all that impressed with Western when we played them when they were full strength. So I’m a “wait and see” with them. They have some good players but as a team sure took a lot of penalties. CC is an improved team but I’m more inclined to put them middle of the pack then top 3 at this point. 

Wade Allison was one of the three best players I saw in person at the Ralph last year so losing him for most of last year really hurt their chances and now having him back could be huge. Every time he had the puck I thought he was going to create a scoring chance. He is the real deal and probably could be playing in Philly this year as opposed to Western Michigan.

10 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Wade Allison was one of the three best players I saw in person at the Ralph last year so losing him for most of last year really hurt their chances and now having him back could be huge. Every time he had the puck I thought he was going to create a scoring chance. He is the real deal and probably could be playing in Philly this year as opposed to Western Michigan.

True, and playing them in Grand Forks rather than in Lawson is a huge difference as well.  As I recall, the last time we were there it didn't go so well and we got swept, and that was with guys like Tucker Poolman, Jost and Boeser.  

5 hours ago, AJS said:

Without looking at her reasoning, I think she has UND in the correct place. Not saying they'll finish 5th, but I could see that. Her having CC last though is as preposterous as it gets. They lose nobody to graduation and swap low end players for a pretty good recruiting class and she has them worse than the year before? Also, Western Michigan would have finished in the Top 4 without injuries last year and bring everyone back as well.

Teams she has too high -- Denver and Omaha, too low, CC & Western.

Edit: Also, Miami will finish last, that you can bank on.

I'm not even sure you can bank on Miami finishing last, but if they did, how long of a leash does Blasi have with his "brotherhood"?   While they had quite a bit of success in the CCHA, they haven't mustered much in the NCHC, and you would think the natives would start to get restless, no pun to their former nickname intended.  

8 hours ago, AJS said:

Without looking at her reasoning, I think she has UND in the correct place. Not saying they'll finish 5th, but I could see that. Her having CC last though is as preposterous as it gets. They lose nobody to graduation and swap low end players for a pretty good recruiting class and she has them worse than the year before? Also, Western Michigan would have finished in the Top 4 without injuries last year and bring everyone back as well.

Teams she has too high -- Denver and Omaha, too low, CC & Western.

Edit: Also, Miami will finish last, that you can bank on.

Agreed

9 hours ago, tnt said:

You can look at it that they have to prove themselves first, or you could look at it that they only finished two points behind us last year and in CC's case return everyone, and in Western Michigan's case return an injured players that could have jumped to the professional ranks.  I'm hoping for them to stay behind us, but they have some things to be excited about just like us. 

That was my reasoning, especially when you look at CC, I looked at a team like SCSU two years ago, finished tied with UND in points (or maybe one point behind), returned everyone the next year and they finished first. 

11 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Heard Matt Shaw speak recently and he said "this defensive group is the best we've had since I've come here"

FYI he started in the 2015-2016 season...

Better than Ausmus-Stecher, Poolman-LaDue.....Thompson-Shaw/Wolanin?  

Four of those guys have played in the NHL.  Six of the 7 currently playing professional hockey.  

I hope he is right.  Boy I hope he is right. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Thinking u get your wish, the frame probably stays - screen be same width, but not as tall?

Gotta keep the frame so that the logo on the bottom can stay.  Wife and I were talking about that last night.  Just thinking back to all the great players who've skated under that scoreboard and looked up to see that.  All the college players, all the stars who were there for World Juniors.  The incredible number who went on to win Olympic medals.  Pretty cool stuff to reflect upon, on a rainy September night. :D

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Better than Ausmus-Stecher, Poolman-LaDue.....Thompson-Shaw/Wolanin?  

Four of those guys have played in the NHL.  Six of the 7 currently playing professional hockey.  

I hope he is right.  Boy I hope he is right. 

He didn't mince words. That was what he believed.  Some other things were that he didn't realize how good '15-16 team was until after the fact since he had no other team to compare it to.  '16-17 was a big step back in talent level. '17-18 team was a really good step forward from previous year(surprising to hear since they missed NCAAs). Then said he thinks this team is set up to be closer to '15-16 level but qualified it saying he can't 100% they will be as good because that team was special. Then he said "...of course if we lose to Bemidji no one cares about that, people want to see results" :lol: 

• Upvote 2