SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

On 7/9/2019 at 11:20 AM, SiouxVolley said:

EMinot State is officially adding their women’s club hockey team to its athletics department.

https://www.minotdailynews.com/sports/local-sports/2019/07/msu-womens-hockey-joins-athletic-department/

Seems the first step is giving both men’s and women’s hockey varsity status.

Edit:  The women’s club team loses much more money than the men’s club, and the administration probably wants to keep it around for TIX balance eventually.

Are you sure its not part of a strategy to move up to D1????? Sneaky way to get their FB team to the FBS dont you think???   :lol:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I reread that story about the move that Jocelyn used in the gold medal game and still me to this day it befuddles me that Joc and Mo almost didn't make the Olympic team that year.  I'm biased as hell, but they don't beat Canada without the Lamoureux sisters.  

• Upvote 4

I took my daughters (non-hockey players but big fans) to a women's game when the twins were on the team.  We sat right behind the UND bench and the camaraderie on the team was really strong. Looking back on it, I'm really glad we had that opportunity.  This was a special window of time in UND athletics and years from now, we will still see their influence at play in this region. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It really was.  I wish they could have put up a banner during their time at UND. Just couldn’t get past those Gopher teams.

Ultimately the cutting of the women's hockey team was a financial decision, but it might have made it very difficult to do if a National Championship would have happened in that time frame. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, GoalieMask said:

I took my daughters (non-hockey players but big fans) to a women's game when the twins were on the team.  We sat right behind the UND bench and the camaraderie on the team was really strong. Looking back on it, I'm really glad we had that opportunity.  This was a special window of time in UND athletics and years from now, we will still see their influence at play in this region. 

Right, and they were very proud of playing here.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

were they yanked off the ice.....

Take a break.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...