SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/federal-judge-once-again-dismisses-und-womens-hockey-lawsuit-lawyer-leaves-the-door-open-to-further-action

So basically, they allow it to be dismissed because they agreed their original position is moot, only to plan to potentially refile claiming something else.

Do I got all of that?

Without much help from that article, that's what I gather.  What a poorly worded sentence... "Hovland dismissed the case “without prejudice,” meaning another suit could be filed in the future, but the attorney representing the former players left the door open for potential further action down the line."

35 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Wtf is this lawsuit even about? Did players lose scholarships when they cancelled the program or something? Good god this feels ancient 

To reinstate the program. 

Their scholarships were honored if they stayed, but I believe everyone left for other programs. 

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/federal-judge-once-again-dismisses-und-womens-hockey-lawsuit-lawyer-leaves-the-door-open-to-further-action

So basically, they allow it to be dismissed because they agreed their original position is moot, only to plan to potentially refile claiming something else.

Do I got all of that?

moo.gif

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, petey23 said:

https://twitter.com/Coach_Idalski/status/1472092883255803906

I am pretty sure UND did give them a number needed to fund the program.

What is the point of a women's hockey team.  Nobody goes to the games, and it uses up resources for the men's team. That sounds harsh but its true...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

What is the point of a women's hockey team.  Nobody goes to the games, and it uses up resources for the men's team. That sounds harsh but its true...

Fair statement as long as the University doesn't use the womens accolades as its own.  You know like when I received pamphlets about the university stating stats like the number of olympians which included those women.  UND is so proud of these ladies.  Yeah right. 

Let the ladies sue all they want.  They win they win.  They lose they lose.  It's not like they owe the University a damned thing.

15 hours ago, Green Banner said:

They having nothing else keeping them in the news anymore then their equity BS

If there is an equity problem, it should be why can't people get into the men's hockey games for free if the women's games were free. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

Why would one guy want to donate $60 million for a W Hockey Program.

56 minutes ago, tnt said:

Who is that?

Mark Chipman, whose daughter was on the team.

Chairman of True North.  He certainly would have had the money to do it

I don't remember who said it on here (I am picturing @The Sicatoka saying this, but could have been someone else) that when the cuts happened he called Kennedy and gave the number needed and balked). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Mark Chipman, whose daughter was on the team.

Chairman of True North.  He certainly would have had the money to do it

I don't remember who said it on here (I am picturing @The Sicatoka saying this, but could have been someone else) that when the cuts happened he called Kennedy and gave the number needed and balked). 

Unfortunate situation for the university and one of their biggest potential donors. If UND wants to keep up with the school to the south we need to get big donations. Sad that womens hockey could be what sinks future donations, but hopefully the university means more to him than his daughters program being canceled. Let hope he takes the high road unlike the Lammy twins.

UND was the last priority when it can to the twins picking the Gophers over UND. They have never put UND first and continue to drag this university through the mud. I don’t care if they have the Roughrider award or if they are Olympic medalists, they are not doing what is right for UND and they need to quit it!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Ours has basically been a land of economics.   A game bringing in 11,000 paying fans a game would have more income than a team bringing in less than 1000 paying  fans.  Yet many say the teams should be funded equally.  Saying it is sexist that women don't get paid as much as men in pro games ( thinking Olympic soccer ) does not prove itself unless they are bringing in the same income.  Then they would have a legitimate gripe.   No, I am not an economist but this seems like basic budgeting to me.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Sad that womens hockey could be what sinks future donations ...

You are vastly misinterpreting what was written. 

Chipman heard the number of what it would take to save women's hockey. It was too much for him even, with a daughter on the squad. Ponder that: Dad had to disappoint his little girl. Put another way: Millionaire chair of the ownership group of the Winnipeg Jets found the cost to keep women's hockey unpalatable to even him, as a businessman and as a father. 

Dare I make a bold statement: Was UND losing donations to Athletics because some folks didn't want the money going down the firepit of women's hockey and UND making a tough economic decision and cutting the program restored the faith of some donors in the stewardship of UND with their monies. 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You are vastly misinterpreting what was written. 

Chipman heard the number of what it would take to save women's hockey. It was too much for him even, with a daughter on the squad. Ponder that: Dad had to disappoint his little girl. Put another way: Millionaire chair of the ownership group of the Winnipeg Jets found the cost to keep women's hockey unpalatable to even him, as a businessman and as a father. 

Dare I make a bold statement: Was UND losing donations to Athletics because some folks didn't want the money going down the firepit of women's hockey and UND making a tough economic decision and cutting the program restored the faith of some donors in the stewardship of UND with their monies. 

It was not up to Chipman to save the program. Anyone else with money could have chipped in to fund it. 60 million is not worth it for me to let my kid play hockey for 4 years. It was not his fault the program was cancelled, that was the fault of UND whether or not the university really deserves the blame. I find it hard to believe there is no hard feelings but I could be wrong. UND cut the sports that made the best sense and minimized impact to the donor base. These cuts strengthened the remaining programs and had to be done. 

• Upvote 3

The lack of transparency is troubling. I know some on the committee have said they had no other options, but to my knowledge nothing concrete has ever been released to the public. $60 million is a ridiculously high number given the operation budget of other nearby schools. With enough notice, a targeted campaign might of worked, but Kennedy said they could save all the program earlier in the year only to change his mind later. That delay likely prevented any sport, including WH, from raising the necessary funds in time for the next year. 

2 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

The lack of transparency is troubling. I know some on the committee have said they had no other options, but to my knowledge nothing concrete has ever been released to the public. $60 million is a ridiculously high number given the operation budget of other nearby schools. With enough notice, a targeted campaign might of worked, but Kennedy said they could save all the program earlier in the year only to change his mind later. That delay likely prevented any sport, including WH, from raising the necessary funds in time for the next year. 

There was a GF Herald article on this number somewhere in this thread.