SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

10 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Isn't that Rice girl 0-2 in lawsuits? What a waste of time

I'm going to put up a slight defense here:  I don't think the lawsuit itself was a bad idea (if I was in their shoes, I probably would have gone along with it). But when you file it 15 months after the fact,  how far will this really go?  

Of course now I'm sure the attention will be turned to the interim and new president to pressure them into bringing back the team. 

• Downvote 1

I was never against women's hockey; the more opportunities the better, right? But if is is not financially sustainable, then the school needs to make some decisions.

I had several friends on the women's hockey team when I was in college, and I don't know who all filed this lawsuit, though I have an idea. This is just going out kicking and screaming here. UND is no more obligated to offer women's hockey as it would be with any other program, so long as they comply with Title 9, which I think has been demonstrated multiple times.

Just as people preech for people to let go of the Sioux name ... this issue is dead, barring a donor coming in to support it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm going to put up a slight defense here:  I don't think the lawsuit itself was a bad idea (if I was in their shoes, I probably would have gone along with it). But when you file it 15 months after the fact,  how far will this really go?  

Of course now I'm sure the attention will be turned to the interim and new president to pressure them into bringing back the team. 

This was a terrible lawsuit. Whoever the lawyers were in this should have known better, especially when the University brings in a lawfirm that specializes in title 9 stuff. Did the university execute it poorly, ya but if it would've been dragged on we never would've seen it go away.   

24 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

This was a terrible lawsuit. Whoever the lawyers were in this should have known better, especially when the University brings in a lawfirm that specializes in title 9 stuff. Did the university execute it poorly, ya but if it would've been dragged on we never would've seen it go away.   

I won't disagree with that. 

Let's see if this is the end of it. 

59 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Did the university execute it poorly, ya but if it would've been dragged on we never would've seen it go away.   

Because "they pulled them off the ice" or because the coach was so clueless that he didn't prepare his team for the possibility despite it being the biggest hole in the athletic department's budget?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Because "they pulled them off the ice" or because the coach was so clueless that he didn't prepare his team for the possibility despite it being the biggest hole in the athletic department's budget?

To be fair, most people on this forum didn't think women's hockey would even be considered for the chopping block.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The University did it the right way. The team should have known their future was up in the air. It sucks and it was tough for them but it’s time these ladies grew up. This stuff happens in the real world all the time.

i have no respect for whinny millennials that think they are more important than everyone else....

• Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

To be fair, most people on this forum didn't think women's hockey would even be considered for the chopping block.

Think it could be considered? Yes. 

Believe it was untouchable? Yes. 

Surprised UND came to a hard yet correct decision the right way? Yes and no. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think most thought it was on the chopping block, I just don't think anyone thought that they would've done it.

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The University did it the right way. The team should have known their future was up in the air. It sucks and it was tough for them but it’s time these ladies grew up. This stuff happens in the real world all the time.

i have no respect for whinny millennials that think they are more important than everyone else....

Here we go with the bashing of the Lamoureux Twins and telling them to "grow up". With all due respect sir, physician heal thyself.

These two women have accomplished more in their short time on this planet than most of us ever will. And I don't think they need a lecture from you (or anyone else) about "the real world", because they have been excelling in it since before they were legal adults. Living in "the real world" doesn't mean putting up and shutting up about everything. Standing up for yourself and others is not the easy thing to do, but it is the right thing to do.

I have no respect for cranky malcontents who scold and preach from high atop a self-professed moral high ground.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Here we go with the bashing of the Lamoureux Twins and telling them to "grow up". With all due respect sir, physician heal thyself.

These two women have accomplished more in their short time on this planet than most of us ever will. And I don't think they need a lecture from you (or anyone else) about "the real world", because they have been excelling in it since before they were legal adults. Living in "the real world" doesn't mean putting up and shutting up about everything. Standing up for yourself and others is not the easy thing to do, but it is the right thing to do.

I have no respect for cranky malcontents who scold and preach from high atop a self-professed moral high ground.

I don’t measure my success against others, but I do respect others by the way they act. They are no more innocent than the ones in the lawsuit. They are still complaining they don’t get paid enough to play women’s hockey. I’m sorry but it’s not that big of a deal. Get a real job like the rest of us. I don’t need to hear the privileged whining. All of those athletes were whinny privileged millennials who need to learn in the “real world” things are not fair and you need to move on maturely.

i never mentioned the twins but since you brought it up this is how many of us feel.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Are you serious? 

The minute UND hired the law firm that specializes in Title 9 issues to come in and make sure they had their ducks in a row I think most everybody saw the writing on the wall......or should have. 

When it was announced that they had hired the law firm my first thought was holy sh!t, they are actually going to cut the women's hockey program.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Are you serious? 

The minute UND hired the law firm that specializes in Title 9 issues to come in and make sure they had their ducks in a row I think most everybody saw the writing on the wall......or should have. 

When it was announced that they had hired the law firm my first thought was holy sh!t, they are actually going to cut the women's hockey program.

I think I remember saying: you don’t hire a firm like that to cut soccer.

I think the Summit saying: any sport UND cuts is a penalty of $150,000 per sport was also a big red flag.

17 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

14 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think I remember saying: you don’t hire a firm like that to cut soccer.

I think the Summit saying: any sport UND cuts is a penalty of $150,000 per sport was also a big red flag.

To me the red flag was that they hadn't renewed Idalski's contract nor had they let him go and begin a search for a new coach. 

2 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

To me the red flag was that they hadn't renewed Idalski's contract nor had they let him go and begin a search for a new coach. 

One could argue (now with the advantage of hindsight), There were 5 warnings signs

1) Idalski not being fired or renewed

2) The Summit Penalty clause

3) The Law firm being hired with Title IX background (this probably was the biggest warning)

4) Kennedy answering both to a question as to whether the athletic cuts would have local or legal blowback 

5) The Big Sky saying that if UND cuts any sport that BSC sponsors they will be ineligible for conference tournaments.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

One could argue (now with the advantage of hindsight), There were 5 warnings signs

1) Idalski not being fired or renewed

2) The Summit Penalty clause

3) The Law firm being hired with Title IX background (this probably was the biggest warning)

4) Kennedy answering both to a question as to whether the athletic cuts would have local or legal blowback 

5) The Big Sky saying that if UND cuts any sport that BSC sponsors they will be ineligible for conference tournaments.

6) Athletics had a giant hole in their budget and WIH was responsible for $2 million/year of it at a net cost of $70-80K/student athlete.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

EMinot State is officially adding their women’s club hockey team to its athletics department.

https://www.minotdailynews.com/sports/local-sports/2019/07/msu-womens-hockey-joins-athletic-department/

Seems the first step is giving both men’s and women’s hockey varsity status.

Edit:  The women’s club team loses much more money than the men’s club, and the administration probably wants to keep it around for TIX balance eventually.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...