SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

19 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wouldn't be ironic if for some reason the the "women's" team came back and one of the lammy's had a son that thought they were a girl and in time joined the newly returned women's hockey team as as "girl" and broke some of lammy's female records?

Possibly the dumbest thing written on the board this year.  Well, we have 361 days left, so it'll probably drop a few places before December 31st. 

Or not. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Possibly the dumbest thing written on the board this year.  Well, we have 361 days left, so it'll probably drop a few places before December 31st. 

Or not. 

have you paid any attention to the world we live in?  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 12/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, OopsSioux said:

Fair statement as long as the University doesn't use the womens accolades as its own.  You know like when I received pamphlets about the university stating stats like the number of olympians which included those women.  UND is so proud of these ladies.  Yeah right. 

Let the ladies sue all they want.  They win they win.  They lose they lose.  It's not like they owe the University a damned thing.

What exactly are they suing for again? For the program to be reinstated or??

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

attention and money...nothing else.

I suppose they want the money that would have been paid to them after they missed out on finishing their college career and therefor missed out on going to the NHL, ya know?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

The lack of transparency is troubling. I know some on the committee have said they had no other options, but to my knowledge nothing concrete has ever been released to the public. $60 million is a ridiculously high number given the operation budget of other nearby schools. With enough notice, a targeted campaign might of worked, but Kennedy said they could save all the program earlier in the year only to change his mind later. That delay likely prevented any sport, including WH, from raising the necessary funds in time for the next year. 

The $60 million was the number needed to create an endowment so the program could be self-sustainable in perpetuity. 
Rouhgly 4% per year payout = $2.4 million annually to run the program.

9 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

I suppose they want the money that would have been paid to them after they missed out on finishing their college career and therefor missed out on going to the NHL, ya know?

honestly they probably thought they were a lock for coaching jobs for decades....just look how much the lady in duluth made over the years from umd and in court motions....millions......

On 12/30/2021 at 7:02 PM, Gma loves hockey said:

Ours has basically been a land of economics.   A game bringing in 11,000 paying fans a game would have more income than a team bringing in less than 1000 paying  fans.  Yet many say the teams should be funded equally.  Saying it is sexist that women don't get paid as much as men in pro games ( thinking Olympic soccer ) does not prove itself unless they are bringing in the same income.  Then they would have a legitimate gripe.   No, I am not an economist but this seems like basic budgeting to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UND doesn’t need women’s hockey and women’s hockey doesn’t need UND 

when und drop the program there was only 35 teams now there is 42 

Very few of D1 schools have attendance to women’s hockey 

Idalski never recruited anyone from the state of North Dakota 

currently there are 7 North Dakota girls playing D1 3 of them have been named all conference or 1st team

i have $5 if anyone can name the 7 ND girls who used UND as a carrot inspiring them to pursue there dream 

A lot of People on this board don’t like women’s hockey 

living in the the twin cities and asking fathers of potential D1 girls if UND would bring back hockey would they pursue it they all said no like when your girlfriend cheats would you take them back 

let the other schools who are committed to having both men’s and women’s hockey programs continue to grow the sport for them 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a fire storm on the facebook page "all things fighting sioux" one commentator said this and is it true?

The proposed cuts by the department did not include Women's hockey nor did it included Women's swimming and diving.
Kennedy changed what Faison proposed.
I was there, everything you have been parroting in this thread is what you read in the papers and not the real story. What Faison and Irle originally proposed, cut UND down to the minimum sports for D1, and would have saved more money. This was supposed to have come out in a press conference on Monday, Kennedy stopped that and changed it to Wednesday. That's why the hockey recruit was in town. They weren't on the chopping block until Kennedy played politics.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

Seems to be a fire storm on the facebook page "all things fighting sioux" one commentator said this and is it true?

The proposed cuts by the department did not include Women's hockey nor did it included Women's swimming and diving.
Kennedy changed what Faison proposed.
I was there, everything you have been parroting in this thread is what you read in the papers and not the real story. What Faison and Irle originally proposed, cut UND down to the minimum sports for D1, and would have saved more money. This was supposed to have come out in a press conference on Monday, Kennedy stopped that and changed it to Wednesday. That's why the hockey recruit was in town. They weren't on the chopping block until Kennedy played politics.

To keep those two teams would've been impossible in the Title IX world I believe.  

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Paging @jdub27 ... 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

To keep those two teams would've been impossible in the Title IX world I believe.  

I'm not a lawyer, but firm of Baker Donelson sure is, and they just so happen to be experts in Title IX litigation. Which is why UND hired them to help oversee the process. I would guess there would have been a nice path to baseball and/or men's S&D returning if it wasn't done in the way it was.

I highly doubt that Kennedy, being a fairly smart businessman himself (regardless of what your personal opinions of him are), decided on a whim to forge his own path on this. But there are still people who think the WIH program wasn't actually losing over a million dollars/year before they were assessed any sort of facility charges to their bottom line. Point is, you can't argue with people that have their own version of the truth. 

• Upvote 1