SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

5 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I see his new employer follows him as well?  Geez.  What's the upside in getting in a pissing match with Tom Miller?   

The only upside is to gain points with the SJW crowd, but at the end of the day: Get woke, go broke.

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, cberkas said:

I am surprised that Brad didn't write about the Minnesota Whitecaps winning the NWHL title (with two former UND players o the team).

Brad is too busy starting to advocate again for us to restart the women’s hockey program. Do you think they will make this a big issue when they bring the potential presidential hires to campus?

here is his latest article that says women’s hockey was important to developing some big time coaches in Grand Forks. Yup a women’s hockey team is critical so we can be a training ground for coaches.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4608566-und-womens-hockey-program-was-launching-pad-coaches

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, iramurphy said:

I’m not criticizing the decision to cut women’s hockey. I happen to understand why 2 former players disagreed with the decision and were pissed. Many people making critical remarks about the twins are the same people who can’t move past the nickname issue. We have less of chance to bring back the old name than we do bringing back women’s hockey. (No chance for either).  I am not advocating we bring back a sport we can’t afford.  I can understand that without having to rag on the twins. 

The twins are dragging UND through the mud with their temper tantrum. There is no reason UND supporters should be understanding of that. They no longer deserve our respect for acting like that. My alma mater means more to me than my person rifts with anything related to my time at UND.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Brad is too busy starting to advocate again for us to restart the women’s hockey program. Do you think they will make this a big issue when they bring the potential presidential hires to campus?

here is his latest article that says women’s hockey was important to developing some big time coaches in Grand Forks. Yup a women’s hockey team is critical so we can be a training ground for coaches.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4608566-und-womens-hockey-program-was-launching-pad-coaches

He needs a better beat in a bigger town if this is what he has to write about. How boring and sad.  

Its not a good look for Idalski.

HOWEVER, given the performance of the teams since WIH was cut, its supporters can easily point to that and say:  Huh... they said the programs were going to get better, doesn't look like it.  They could have done this and kept the sport. 

Does he take the swipe if UND had put up 3 Summit titles, 2 NCAA trips and a deep FCS playoff run for FB this year?

• Upvote 1

BTW: Was in ever mentioned in any GF Herald article that the State Board had asked for the discrimination suit to be dismissed and the only reason I know this was reading an article from Colorado on Kennedy and the Title IX lawsuits?*

*I'm not being snarky, I really want to know if I truly missed this. 

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Its not a good look for Idalski.

HOWEVER, given the performance of the teams since WIH was cut, its supports can easily point to that and say:  Huh... they said the programs were going to get better, doesn't look like it.  They could have done this and kept the sport. 

Does he take the swipe if UND had put up 3 Summit titles, 2 NCAA trips and a deep FCS playoff run for FB?

Its been two full years and the savings in the budget will actually just begin showing up this year, IIRC.  Litmus test: how much will they pay the new MBB coach and assistants.

52 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Its been two full years and the savings in the budget will actually just begin showing up this year, IIRC.  Litmus test: how much will they pay the new MBB coach and assistants.

That will be interesting to see what the number ends up being. 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

I'd say the results are already showing up in the non-revenue sports that saw increase in scholarships.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'd say the results are already showing up in the non-revenue sports that saw increase in scholarships.

And that funding for the remaining sports wasn't hit hard during the 20% state funding cut in 2016 and 2017.

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Well UND has a new track coach and it's a woman. With SU naming a male as WBB coach does that mean that UND has more female coaches than NDSU? Certainly that merits a story.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Baloney!  These two kids were 2 of the best in the world in their sport. If you can’t understand where they were coming from then I can’t help you. Their hockey program was as important to them as the men’s program was to any of our former players or coaches. When they transferred here they increased the chance UND women’s hockey would become a national power. They felt the same as a men’s player would have had the men’s program been shut down with little notice to them and lack of communication. They deserve our respect and we should cut them some slack over their anger. 

That’s the thing they care more about the program than they care about the university as a whole. They can take their whining and shove it. To say their program is more important than the football team is an insult to the university. I wish they would have stayed at the UM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Well UND has a new track coach and it's a woman. With SU naming a male as WBB coach does that mean that UND has more female coaches than NDSU? Certainly that merits a story.  

I realize you probably don't really care about the answer, but the final tally will probably be that UND has more female head coaches, while NDSU has more female coaches overall. I say probably because our new WBB coach and your new VB and T&F coaches haven't completed their new staffs yet; not even started for NDSU WBB and UND VB. Current tally is 2 UND female head coaches(golf and T&F) to NDSU's 1(VB). The assistant coach tally is currently tied at 8. I'm not counting volunteers or grad assistants. UND has 7 women's sports to NDSU's 6(in this case, counting CC, IT&F and OT&F as a single sport since both schools use a single head coach for all three).

So there's a bunch of almost useless info.

4 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

I realize you probably don't really care about the answer, but the final tally will probably be that UND has more female head coaches, while NDSU has more female coaches overall. I say probably because our new WBB coach and your new VB and T&F coaches haven't completed their new staffs yet; not even started for NDSU WBB and UND VB. Current tally is 2 UND female head coaches(golf and T&F) to NDSU's 1(VB). The assistant coach tally is currently tied at 8. I'm not counting volunteers or grad assistants. UND has 7 women's sports to NDSU's 6(in this case, counting CC, IT&F and OT&F as a single sport since both schools use a single head coach for all three).

Good stuff for the Herald story that must be in the works. 

7 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Slight addendum, UND's T&F coach will be overseeing men's and women's T&F/CC whereas NDSU has 2 males in that position. Meaning UND will have a female overseeing 3 sports (or possibly 4 depending on the volleyball hire) to NDSU's one, which was the point that started this giant hypothetical by Forum Communications.

Don't know where everything sits including assistants, which again, Forum Communications point was directed at the people at the head of the programs, but pretty long way from being able to say where the schools currently sit in regards to that with multiple staffs not filled and some coaches not even hired yet, not to mention there is usually some turnover at the assistant positions once the school year is complete. I guess I don't understand the math on how NDSU will end up with "more female coaches overall" but they definitely won't in the position that matters the most and anything beyond that is pure speculation at this point.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Slight addendum, UND's T&F coach will be overseeing men's and women's T&F/CC whereas NDSU has 2 males in that position. Meaning UND will have a female overseeing 3 sports (or possibly 4 depending on the volleyball hire) to NDSU's one, which was the point that started this giant hypothetical by Forum Communications.

Don't know where everything sits including assistants, which again, Forum Communications point was directed at the people at the head of the programs, but pretty long way from being able to say where the schools currently sit in regards to that with multiple staffs not filled and some coaches not even hired yet, not to mention there is usually some turnover at the assistant positions once the school year is complete. I guess I don't understand the math on how NDSU will end up with "more female coaches overall" but they definitely won't in the position that matters the most and anything beyond that is pure speculation at this point.

Didn't realize the new T&F hire was covering both men's and women's programs. I don't know if the GFH article I was reading was unclear about that point, or if I just skimmed past it and assumed the consolidation was about the CC and T&F programs instead of men's and women's programs.

Honestly, I don't know if UND's decision on this matter is good or bad for the program. I'd be worried it's about money. By encouraging two long-time head coaches to leave and replacing them with a young head coach and a new assistant, that has the smell of budget reductions. But time will tell. (Ouch, just compared the two coaching staffs. Four paid T&F/CC coaches at UND, six paid at NDSU plus three volunteers.)

As for why I think NDSU will come out higher in total female coaches, it's like this: The schools are currently at 10 total(2+8) for UND and 9(1+8) for NDSU. But at UND, I counted the current T&F and VB assistant staffs. Now it's possible the new hires will add to the net number of female coaches, but it's just as possible, even likely, that there won't be any net change. On the other hand, NDSU has zero assistants listed for the WBB program, so I didn't count anyone. If Kory brings even two paid female assistants(out of four - highly likely), that would put the total at 10 for UND and 11 for NDSU. It's true that we won't know for certain for another four months, but I think the odds favor more total female coaches at NDSU come the start of the school year.

But I'd also say I'm not thrilled with the number of female coaches at either of the schools, especially in head coaches. The rumor is that NDSU first offered the WBB job to the Drake assistant (female), but she turned it down in favor of a promotion back at Drake. The other woman among the finalists was clearly the number 4 choice(of 4), so Kory was the next best choice since he had head coaching experience. I think Lynn Dorn tried to hire a woman for soccer when she forced Pete C. out, but I don't think she got any qualified female applicants. And Darin M. has been doing such a great job at softball that his job is safe until he decides to leave(plus all three of his assistants are women). Same goes for the T&F position. 

Anyway, none of this is meant to be argumentative, just informative. I happened to see NDSU mentioned in a post along the side of the main page and got curious as to the actual situation. Been wondering about the real numbers for awhile, but was too lazy to actually look the stuff up. This gave me the excuse to finally do it.

10 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Didn't realize the new T&F hire was covering both men's and women's programs. I don't know if the GFH article I was reading was unclear about that point, or if I just skimmed past it and assumed the consolidation was about the CC and T&F programs instead of men's and women's programs.

Honestly, I don't know if UND's decision on this matter is good or bad for the program. I'd be worried it's about money. By encouraging two long-time head coaches to leave and replacing them with a young head coach and a new assistant, that has the smell of budget reductions. But time will tell. (Ouch, just compared the two coaching staffs. Four paid T&F/CC coaches at UND, six paid at NDSU plus three volunteers.)

As for why I think NDSU will come out higher in total female coaches, it's like this: The schools are currently at 10 total(2+8) for UND and 9(1+8) for NDSU. But at UND, I counted the current T&F and VB assistant staffs. Now it's possible the new hires will add to the net number of female coaches, but it's just as possible, even likely, that there won't be any net change. On the other hand, NDSU has zero assistants listed for the WBB program, so I didn't count anyone. If Kory brings even two paid female assistants(out of four - highly likely), that would put the total at 10 for UND and 11 for NDSU. It's true that we won't know for certain for another four months, but I think the odds favor more total female coaches at NDSU come the start of the school year.

But I'd also say I'm not thrilled with the number of female coaches at either of the schools, especially in head coaches. The rumor is that NDSU first offered the WBB job to the Drake assistant (female), but she turned it down in favor of a promotion back at Drake. The other woman among the finalists was clearly the number 4 choice(of 4), so Kory was the next best choice since he had head coaching experience. I think Lynn Dorn tried to hire a woman for soccer when she forced Pete C. out, but I don't think she got any qualified female applicants. And Darin M. has been doing such a great job at softball that his job is safe until he decides to leave(plus all three of his assistants are women). Same goes for the T&F position. 

Anyway, none of this is meant to be argumentative, just informative. I happened to see NDSU mentioned in a post along the side of the main page and got curious as to the actual situation. Been wondering about the real numbers for awhile, but was too lazy to actually look the stuff up. This gave me the excuse to finally do it.

UND encouraged both long time coaches to resign - really?  Please expand.  

The only time hockey for females is relevant is every 4 years come Olympic time....small town girls hockey is supported because small towns support their kids.....attendance sucks at the collegiate level for women.....the woman's pro league just folded....UND was wise w/o  'sugar daddy/mommy' donor.....

• Upvote 3