SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Why did UND suck so bad if they were getting all these great recruits?  Hmmm

Duluth and Ohio State got former (I think both were) Gopher assistant coaches that made their teams better.

UND I'd say was 2 years to late at firing their coach.

• Upvote 4

On 3/17/2021 at 6:43 PM, UND1983 said:

Why did UND suck so bad if they were getting all these great recruits?  Hmmm

On 3/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, cberkas said:

Duluth and Ohio State got former (I think both were) Gopher assistant coaches that made their teams better.

UND I'd say was 2 years to late at firing their coach.

Yeah, I think coaching was a big part of why they weren't more successful.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In other developments.

Two years after being dismissed, a lawsuit filed against the North Dakota University System involving the now-shuttered UND women’s hockey team seems to have new life.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit reversed a decision made in 2019 by the North Dakota District Court to dismiss a discrimination lawsuit filed by a group of former UND women’s hockey team members.

The Eighth Circuit’s decision sends the case back to the North Dakota District Court for further review.

“After the University of North Dakota cut its women’s ice hockey team — but not its men’s ice hockey team — the former players sued the university system for violating Title IX, the ban on sex discrimination at federally-funded institutions. ... The district court granted the University’s motion to dismiss for failure to state a claim. We reverse,” Judge David R. Stras wrote.

The lawsuit, which claimed UND violated Title IX when it cut the women’s hockey program in 2017, was dismissed in federal court in June 2019 by Judge Daniel Hovland. Title IX ensures no person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participating in or be denied the benefits of a program or activity that receives federal financial assistance.

20 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

As I recall, they don't want money.  They want the program back. 

if you under the table offered the lammy sisters 1 million dollars each and no bringback of the team or zero money and the team comes back......i'm betting on them taking the money 

• Downvote 7

I'm not surprised that the lawsuit is back.   Things like this have a habit of dragging out forever, even after you think it's over.   I was against killing off the program at the time, but I see zero benefit of bringing it back now.   The only people that will make money will be the lawyers. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if you under the table offered the lammy sisters 1 million dollars each and no bringback of the team or zero money and the team comes back......i'm betting on them taking the money 

And...what have you ever done in your life?? 

I guarantee you it's nothing remotely meaningful like they have.

Crawl back in your cave where you belong.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I really tried to go into this with an open mind. I'm truly shocked at 'I. Background'. I can't believe anybody would believe that (1) Hockey is the most popular sport in the region (2) Women's hockey team "most prominent and popular" women's sport on campus. 

I skimmed it, but is the overall feel that it was reversed, not necessarily that they feel the original ruling might not turn out to be the correct ruling, but more they need clarification on the reason that was used originally. There would be other avenues for the Department / University to use as well if they didn't clarify that point to the acceptance of the next judge(s). 

It's so disappointing this is back. I thought it was a great call cutting at the time and still do. I'm not really concerned about this one ultimately being overturned. 

They lost me at "I. Background", first sentence:

In their putative class action on behalf of current, prospective, and future female athletes, the athletes alleged that statewide, North Dakotans favor ice hockey over all other sports.

I'd say they overlooked the popularity of basketball in the state. And football. And HS girls volleyball. 

I'm no attorney, but in my fast read it felt like the appeals court brought into question much of the "three prong" approach used for Title IX compliance, and I don't mean just here, but in general as they kept going past that to prior documents and guidance and rulings. 

If this ends up putting "three prong" in question, this could rock college athletics nearly as hard as OU/UT to the SEC. 

Hopefully the district court just rules there was no violation. What a waste of time and money for UND. 

So what if this case wins against UND? Does that mean we have to add men’s volleyball and women’s football? How about men’s baseball? Where does it end? Athletics is such a waste of money …….:

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They lost me at "I. Background", first sentence:

I'd say they overlooked the popularity of basketball in the state. And football. And HS girls volleyball. 

They may favor to watch men’s ice hockey in ND, but hockey is still not as popular as many other sports in the state. Hockey is a niche sport that only rich communities play in ND…… look at all the HS programs in small towns that have folded

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So what if this case wins against UND? Does that mean we have to add men’s volleyball and women’s football? How about men’s baseball? Where does it end? Athletics is such a waste of money …….:

One judge in the ruling said DoEd needs to clarify if they still consider other standards in the 1979 Interpretation of Title IX live. He implies that doing so may 

"... require the Department to accept accountability for the consequences of requiring an institution to sponsor high-dollar programs ... "

That reads to me like if DoEd says three prong compliance isn't enough and they mandate back to the 1979 guidance, the DoEd might get the bill for reinstating. But I'm no lawyer so a misread by me is well possible.