SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

My fear with a hypothetical Brian Faison-led search for a basketball coach is that he'd simply wait for people to apply unsolicited, and let the now infamous "process" play itself out. While I certainly don't know this to be true, there were some allegations that Faison did not reach out to anybody after Mussman was let go. If true, a similar inaction in the search for a new basketball coach likely wouldn't end up as well as the football search did. 

Somebody like Walthall probably isn't going to simply apply. He needs to be convinced by the a.d. that this is the right move for him.

Edited by UND92,96
  • Upvote 2

AD for a day...who should be on the short list other than Walthall?  

No idea.  But I do know it's alot easier to identify who WON'T be the next head coach then who will be.  The things Walthall is doing move the needle and show what he capable of, his high end.  Winning regular season basketball games doesn't do anything for me if talking about a lower level coach.  

I have heard through the grapevine that a certain Athletic Director has had conversations with 1 or more of the names that have popped up here recently in order to gauge possible interest should a certain division 1 basketball program be in need of a Men's Basketball Coach next season.

Yeah but do you think the Athletic Director is monitoring the men's basketball situation?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

AD for a day...who should be on the short list other than Walthall?  

Outside the box. Assuming they can't get Coach Craig Smith out of USD, or the above Coach.  Bring Gameli Ahelegbe back here. He recruited a number of players, and has a great grasp on the Twin Cities hoops scene.  He knows how the players like to play now and communicates with them very well.  He also understands what it takes to be a winning program.  If money is an issue, this could be an easy hire, as he is tied to a lot of these guys.  You immediately get the TC foothold again.  I really believe UND should be sold to kids from that area as there is only one D1 team in that state.  Give them an easy road trip home.

• Upvote 2

I think what is almost as important as who is selected, is the timing of the firing and hiring of the new coach.  Best case scenario, in my opinion, would be that Faison fires Jones early into the second semester.  This will help prevent players from transferring mid year (if Jones were to be fired before the end of the this semester).  I would also like to see his firing take place at least 30 days before the end of the season, so we can have a new coach in place for the off-season.  By doing this, I think transfers will be less likely than during the Muss disaster.   

• Upvote 4

I think what is almost as important as who is selected, is the timing of the firing and hiring of the new coach.  Best case scenario, in my opinion, would be that Faison fires Jones early into the second semester.  This will help prevent players from transferring mid year (if Jones were to be fired before the end of the this semester).  I would also like to see his firing take place at least 30 days before the end of the season, so we can have a new coach in place for the off-season.  By doing this, I think transfers will be less likely than during the Muss disaster.   

I think we may gain recruits ans transfers if Jones is let go!! ;)

• Upvote 1

I think you run into an issue with ND open record laws. Prospective coaches aren't going to apply (or leave their current jobs) while their teams are still playing and likely heading into tournament time giving you almost zero chance you have a new coach in place for when the offseason starts. However (if this is the direction things go) having someone hired by mid to end of April and give them at least a little time to talk and meet with players before the semester is over is important.

Here's an outside-the-box suggestion--Dave Thorson. I imagine formerly working under Clem Haskins is problematic for many, but he's a ND native and has had incredible success at the high school level. He's also sent several players to UND over the years, including current players Crandall and Collins. I believe he could recruit the twin cities area very well. Not sure he'd even be willing to leave the cities after all these years, though.

Here's an outside-the-box suggestion--Dave Thorson. I imagine formerly working under Clem Haskins is problematic for many, but he's a ND native and has had incredible success at the high school level. He's also sent several players to UND over the years, including current players Crandall and Collins. I believe he could recruit the twin cities area very well.

Would be interesting, found this from this article http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/273755?referrer_id=388419

Gopher Hole: You have college assistant coaching experience and your name came up at Minnesota with the head coach change. Is that something you are flattered by or is that something you would ever look at?

Dave Thorson: It is one of those things. It is nice that people think that I am a good coach. DeLaSalle is a great fit for me, so It would take a lot for me to leave “D. ” There is a special place for me on the Island, so I am pretty content with that.

Edited by sioux24/7

Here's an outside-the-box suggestion--Dave Thorson. I imagine formerly working under Clem Haskins is problematic for many, but he's a ND native and has had incredible success at the high school level. He's also sent several players to UND over the years, including current players Crandall and Collins. I believe he could recruit the twin cities area very well.

3aprep+1+031515+19.JPG?w=525

I have heard through the grapevine that a certain Athletic Director has had conversations with 1 or more of the names that have popped up here recently in order to gauge possible interest should a certain division 1 basketball program be in need of a Men's Basketball Coach next season.

I heard through the grapevine that an extension is in the works - see what I did there.